Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-15-2020, 11:33 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just goes to show the missed opportunities within the multi-threads of the multiverse....

GXR-M mount - dropped down a chasm
K01 - tied to a boat anchor with the designer at the bottom of the ocean...

09-16-2020, 02:05 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HomeMadeSin Quote
I’d consider myself part of the K-01 fan club and this is interesting. Of course, my beef with Sony is the menus and interface options (knobs, buttons and stuff). If Sony would private label this for Pentax and let them tweak it for their specs, count me in.....

Z
And please make the tiny viewfinder a bit larger. :/
09-16-2020, 02:30 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Of course, the K-01 is a K mount camera which is a major difference. The fact that the K-01 mounted all K mount lenses -- and auto focused the screw driven ones was a significant difference.

Honestly, though, this isn't really what I had hoped for with the K-02. I had hoped Pentax would bring out an MILC K mount camera with an EVF and better function (deeper buffer, faster auto focus, etc).
09-16-2020, 06:47 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Of course, the K-01 is a K mount camera which is a major difference. The fact that the K-01 mounted all K mount lenses -- and auto focused the screw driven ones was a significant difference.

Honestly, though, this isn't really what I had hoped for with the K-02. I had hoped Pentax would bring out an MILC K mount camera with an EVF and better function (deeper buffer, faster auto focus, etc).
My hopes were more modest - an EVF - but instead of learning that a MILC without EVF was a formula for failure, Pentax decided "MILC is not for us".

09-16-2020, 06:58 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My hopes were more modest - an EVF - but instead of learning that a MILC without EVF was a formula for failure, Pentax decided "MILC is not for us".
Well, I don't think a K-01 with an EVF would fly in today's market. The issue is that all of the MILCs out today have (1) better buffers (K-01 could do three RAW in the buffer if you used multiple exposures), (2) Better Auto Focus (K-01 has lots of focus points but they don't work well in low light and cannot track at all) (3) Better video -- it is 2020 after all, (4) ability to use an electronic shutter.

The size of the K-01 is OK, the ergonomics are really sub-optimal when you consider Pentax's legacy of excellent ergonomic cameras.

I sound like I'm disparaging the K-01, but I really like mine and still shoot with it, but you need to be able to sell your cameras at something other than fire sale prices (I got mine for 220 dollars) and without significant upgrades that wouldn't happen.
09-16-2020, 07:45 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
Sigma fp - 112.6 x 69.9 x 45.3 mm, 422g (with battery)

So Sigma did beat Sony too it, with the lightest and smallest FF camera

I think you did not understand my post. The new Sony a7C has very similar size and weight to the K-01 - it actually has nearly the appropriate size to support a K-mount. It also has the EVF, FF sensor, and moving LCD that K-01 users seem to want in a "K-02". Other than the FF sensor, the Sigma fp has none of this.
09-16-2020, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Well, this new Sony has an EVF (although smaller than I'd like) and it's AF performance will undoubtedly trounce the K-01's, although we don't have AF performance specs yet.

09-16-2020, 11:08 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The AF performance sounds like it should be nigh on identical to the A7S III. Seems like it should do just fine there. Just needs more small glass to match.
09-16-2020, 11:33 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
The AF performance sounds like it should be nigh on identical to the A7S III. Seems like it should do just fine there. Just needs more small glass to match.
Sony has a few small primes, and Tamron does also for E-mount, and Sony owns a stake in Tamron... so they are off to a good start.
09-16-2020, 09:54 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Sometimes, you have to adapt.
I'm a dinosaur. No adapting.
09-17-2020, 08:44 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I sound like I'm disparaging the K-01, but I really like mine and still shoot with it, but you need to be able to sell your cameras at something other than fire sale prices (I got mine for 220 dollars) and without significant upgrades that wouldn't happen.
My Dad was known for telling dealers where to find his 'trade-in' - he would drive a car until it no longer ran.
I am like that with cameras ...... I have never sold one, so I have no idea what resale prices are - but I will not even look at a camera now if it won't focus my AF K-mount or Q-mount lenses.
09-18-2020, 06:14 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Sony has a few small primes, and Tamron does also for E-mount, and Sony owns a stake in Tamron... so they are off to a good start.
Of related note, Tamron closed two of their three main plants (one responsible for lens elements and the other for metal components and consumer repairs) earlier this year citing decreased demand, but had planned to reopen in a couple of weeks. Those facilities will now remain closed until sometime next year according to a Tamron announcement

“Although the business will continue during this period, it may cause inconvenience to our customers and business partners,” concludes the official statement. “We appreciate your understanding.

All phases of the standalone camera and lens business are experiencing challenges, no company is exempt.
09-18-2020, 12:02 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I would have to buy a whole new set of lenses to use this one.
No thank you.