Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2020, 03:35 PM   #1

Vintage lens adapter for Canon 5D mark II

I'm sure this quesiton have been answer before in other variations but since English is not my first languages and I'm not too fimiliar in the camera world I feel I can only get the correct answer I ask this question about my specific problem.
I have tried Google but I'm not a 100% sure of the answers and options I have found.

I have some older lens which I use on my Lumix DMC GX80 which works perfectly well. The lenses I have are:
Helios 442 58
SMC 50 1.4
SMC 55 1.8
SMC 28 2.8

Curently I'm thinking about changing to a full frame camera. I'm looking a the Canon 5D Mark II because of the price level and fits my needs.

However I read the that some of the older lenses, including some of those I have, have trouble the flange distance for both Canon and Nikon due to the adapter.
I read some rather complicated solutions which won't fit me but I also saw an older thread in here where a person linked some eBay links for another solutions. But those link where dead now.

So my question is if there's an adapter I can get for the Canon 5D Mark II which will fit with my lenses without me having to do some work on the lenses?

And bear with me. This is my first post and not too sure of the camara lingo

Thanks!

09-15-2020, 05:02 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by molle Quote
Curently I'm thinking about changing to a full frame camera. I'm looking a the Canon 5D Mark II because of the price level and fits my needs.

However I read the that some of the older lenses, including some of those I have, have trouble the flange distance for both Canon and Nikon due to the adapter.
The issue on FF Canon bodies is interference of the aperture actuator (all K-mount) and/or rear element (some M42) with the mirror. This is not something that can be managed by changing adapters.

Steve
09-15-2020, 06:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very cheap adapters on Ebay....they just screw on.The ones to buy are the ones that come with an EF cap.

Helios 442 58
SMC 50 1.4
SMC 55 1.8
SMC 28 2.8
09-15-2020, 11:03 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The issue on FF Canon bodies is interference of the aperture actuator (all K-mount) and/or rear element (some M42) with the mirror. This is not something that can be managed by changing adapters.

Steve
So there's nothing to do other than buying a camera from another brand?

09-16-2020, 12:20 AM   #5
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Molle
I guess the only sure way is to use a Pentax FF camera and a the K - M42 adapter. ( for the Helios )
Its only problem is the price compared to the Canon but atleast it will work.

Dave
09-16-2020, 02:22 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Molle
I guess the only sure way is to use a Pentax FF camera and a the K - M42 adapter. ( for the Helios )
Its only problem is the price compared to the Canon but atleast it will work.

Dave
Hi Dave

I read the Sony A7 (mirrorless) should also work as well.
But yeah, I looked on the Pentax but the price though.. A bit too much for me know.
09-16-2020, 11:02 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hi Dave

I read the Sony A7 (mirrorless) should also work as well.
But yeah, I looked on the Pentax but the price though.. A bit too much for me know.
Yep, a used A7 would definitely do the job.

Steve

09-18-2020, 02:28 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yep, a used A7 would definitely do the job.

Steve
Once you look at used Sony, you should look at used Pentax also.
09-22-2020, 05:36 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Once you look at used Sony, you should look at used Pentax also.

But isnt used Pentax FF a lot more expensive than Sony?
09-22-2020, 07:40 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But isnt used Pentax FF a lot more expensive than Sony?
Here in the USA a Sony A7ii is half the price of a Pentax K-1. A Canon 5D MkII is cheaper yet.

If you want the Canon, why not simply sell your Pentax lenses and buy Canon lenses? There are many Canon lenses available, as well as third party (Tamron, Sigma, etc)
09-23-2020, 01:01 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Here in the USA a Sony A7ii is half the price of a Pentax K-1. A Canon 5D MkII is cheaper yet.

If you want the Canon, why not simply sell your Pentax lenses and buy Canon lenses? There are many Canon lenses available, as well as third party (Tamron, Sigma, etc)

The "reason" I wanted the Canon where because a freind of mine showed me a picture he took with that model. I thought anything above that model would be a "waste" because of my talent.
My reason to buy vintage lenses was because of the very lower prices and I dont really care about auto stuff (however I see the irony buying cheap lenses as the major reason but then buying an expensive camera..).
But another reason to prefer the Sony A7 II is the size. It's so much smaller than the Canon which might make a big difference for me in the long run.
09-23-2020, 06:40 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I didn't find any glassless adapters for my manual focus Pentax lenses to fit my Canon. However, I found glassless adapters to be able to use my manual focus Olympus OM lenses on my Canons . . .

Keep in mind that generally speaking using manual focus lenses on autofocus bodies is nowhere near as good as using them on their manual focus bodies because all autofocus cameras have much tinier viewfinders that makes achieving critical focus very hard specially with fast lenses wide open and/or dark settings. Sure their are aids to help focus but you'll either need it on a tripod or it will be much slower - if you can even get critical focus at all.
09-29-2020, 11:57 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If the lenses in question are M42 mount, you can mount them on a full frame Canon DSLR with an adapter.

K mount lenses are a different story. The can be mutilated to work but it's a ghastly scenario.