Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2021, 08:30 PM   #166
mee
Veteran Member

Thanks! Very thorough and helpful writeup. I appreciate you taking the time to document your experience and thoughts.

01-16-2021, 09:41 PM   #167
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Thanks! Very thorough and helpful writeup. I appreciate you taking the time to document your experience and thoughts.
No problem. I hope it helps with your decision making. Really you can't go wrong with most Camera's these days. I think the Z system offers the best value of the bunch at the moment though. Especially for the weather sealing. If money were no object I'd grab the R5 and L glass. But I don't think it's worth the price for my usage. The Nikon's are way less money, fully sealed and the AF is only a tiny bit behind the R5/R6. Not worth the significant increase in price IMO. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nikon drop a Z8/9 that surpasses it either, but like the D850 was it's out of my price range for cameras as a hobby.

Z5 and some Z glass is really a good deal at the present time. I've not picked up any of my other camera's in the past month as I've enjoyed the EVF on the Z5 so much. The 24-200 has been exactly what I wanted as a do-it-all lens too. Very sharp for a superzoom. Much better than the 18-250 I have for my Pentax K-3, and fully weather-sealed unlike the Sigma for the K-3. I should probably compare them at some point for fun. But in the end probably 90% of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference so it's really what gear do you personally enjoy using. It's the creativity that counts and the gear should just work intuitively and get out of the way of being creative.
01-17-2021, 11:08 AM   #168
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
No problem. I hope it helps with your decision making. Really you can't go wrong with most Camera's these days. I think the Z system offers the best value of the bunch at the moment though. Especially for the weather sealing. If money were no object I'd grab the R5 and L glass. But I don't think it's worth the price for my usage. The Nikon's are way less money, fully sealed and the AF is only a tiny bit behind the R5/R6. Not worth the significant increase in price IMO. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nikon drop a Z8/9 that surpasses it either, but like the D850 was it's out of my price range for cameras as a hobby.

Z5 and some Z glass is really a good deal at the present time. I've not picked up any of my other camera's in the past month as I've enjoyed the EVF on the Z5 so much. The 24-200 has been exactly what I wanted as a do-it-all lens too. Very sharp for a superzoom. Much better than the 18-250 I have for my Pentax K-3, and fully weather-sealed unlike the Sigma for the K-3. I should probably compare them at some point for fun. But in the end probably 90% of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference so it's really what gear do you personally enjoy using. It's the creativity that counts and the gear should just work intuitively and get out of the way of being creative.
Nikon's experience does serve as warning for Pentax, however.
The two companies followed similar paths to implement AF lenses, each maintaining compatibility with older mounts from their manufacturer, while Canon jumped immediately to the equivalent of the KAF4 mount.
Just as Nikon did, any adapter for Pentax most likely would not accommodate screw-drive lenses, so they would also have few usable legacy AF lenses.

I believe Pentax was wise to stay with the K-mount.

Last edited by reh321; 01-17-2021 at 12:57 PM.
01-17-2021, 02:18 PM   #169
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
The 24-200 has been exactly what I wanted as a do-it-all lens too. Very sharp for a superzoom.
I've seen tests and crops of actual images. Indeed, it's as sharp as a entry level superzoom. I can crop half of the frame of my 28-105 at 100mm on the K1 get an image as sharp as the Nikon 24-200 @ 200mm.

01-17-2021, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #170
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I've seen tests and crops of actual images. Indeed, it's as sharp as a entry level superzoom. I can crop half of the frame of my 28-105 at 100mm on the K1 get an image as sharp as the Nikon 24-200 @ 200mm.
I need something with better AF-C than an entry-level Nikon DX camera.

Last edited by LeeRunge; 01-17-2021 at 03:24 PM.