Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-20-2020, 12:19 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
In head to head the optical quality of the viltrox isn't really even close. Just one of many:
In that case,it appears so.

The Viltox is designed for standard M43 sensors.The BM is a wider sensor and Metabones designed there device for such.Its no wonder it works better.

My reference was to Viltrox on $ony.Fuji crop bodies,There are many reports of Viltrox doing very well @ around 15% of the cost of MB.

11-20-2020, 07:53 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
In that case,it appears so.

The Viltox is designed for standard M43 sensors.The BM is a wider sensor and Metabones designed there device for such.Its no wonder it works better.

My reference was to Viltrox on $ony.Fuji crop bodies,There are many reports of Viltrox doing very well @ around 15% of the cost of MB.
Gotcha. If you have any articles like that please share I'm interested. I didn't realize the sensor was wider, but even the vertical edges were pretty bad. Specifics definitely matter and I'll keep an open mind.
11-20-2020, 08:38 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's hard to know what's available in South Africa, in the used market... for a small, "trusty go-everywhere" camera, a used Ricoh GR I or II would probably be within budget... but having a 28mm equiv. only, would that be a bit restrictive?

I know Olympus is going through trouble, but I have friends with OMD EM-5s (I think both have Mk IIs) and they like them quite a bit. The kit lenses are also very good.
11-20-2020, 12:16 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'll keep an open mind.
BM has a 1.7x crop,scroll down to NewSensor

its closer in size to Apsc size than the standard M43.

Blackmagic Production Camera 4K Review - Videomaker.

11-20-2020, 01:18 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

My small, carry-everywhere cameras are Fujis. I almost bought a Sony but am very, very glad I went with Fuji. I started with an X-M1 and I still see some for sale used now and then and for what they go for they're an absolute steal. It really is a wonderful little camera and the only reason I replaced (well, not replaced exactly as I still have it) is that it doesn't have a viewfinder. If you're looking for something cheap and with a viewfinder then an X-E2 or X-T10 are also excellent value.

All Fujis have focus peaking. If you want to add a kit lens then you have a choice of 16-50mm, 15-45mm or spend a bit more on the 18-55mm which is f/2.8-4, around a stop faster than your average kit zoom, very good optically and has OIS. I used mine for a couple of years only with adapted lenses and it works very well like that too. If you want to invest more in the system then Fuji's primes are nothing short of superb, and many of the less exotic ones can be had for reasonable prices. There's even a plastic fantastic 35mm f/2 which is reputed to be very good and costs €199 new.

In short, it's hard to imagine a better mirrorless APS-C system and I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone.
11-20-2020, 04:31 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
The one advantage of going Samsung is that I will not be getting into another lens mount. That would be a good thing, but the world moves on.
Definitely an advantage.

The most direct replacement seems to be the Canon EOS M200 with 15-45mm lens.
That lens is plagued with poor copies.

Next on the list of possibilities is a Fujifilm of some sort. New ones such as the XE3 or XA7 are a bit pricey but there might be a Black Friday bargain out there. On the used market there are a lot of possibilities - XE2, XT2, XA5, XT100 etc. I have already figured out that some come with the Xtrans sensor and others do not. The shutter speed dials on some models look very attractive from where I am sitting. Most of the used deals are body only. Adding a kit lens would be expensive, but I can get going with a K mount adapter.

XA7 is discontinued and on sellout,its a great camera for casual shooting.XE3 is about to be superceded,so it will be a bargain by middle of next year(if you can wait that long).The XT200 has just been discontinued which is strange because its a early 2020 release.Maybe Fuji are rationalising the lineup and not doing Bayer sensor entry level anymore?

XE2....16mp,the S model update has a better EVF.

XA5/XT100 24mp virtually same camera T has an EVF.

XT2....24mp Xtrans,WR with plenty good film sims.

I haven't really looked at the Sony A6000 models in any detail, but perhaps there is something for me there. The A7 would be a dream come true, but the mark one is getting very long in the tooth and the mark two is still quite pricey.
$ony sucks,they havent got a camera that I would buy.Overpriced for what you get.Poor range of crop lenses.Difficult menu,so ive read.

Of all the bodies you have mentioned,Samsung makes the most short term sense.Its a non supported system though.

As JonathonMac says FUJI!

Also to consider for a little over the U$D 600 mark is the Nikon Z50.Its light, fast,shoots uncropped 4K.Only 2 lenses at the moment but Nikon plans to add more.OEM and aftermarket AF adapters for lots of mounts though.
11-21-2020, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
At this stage I'm thing along the lines of: if you can't decide between a MILC and a DSLR, get both. A Samsung NX300 and a Pentax K3 just might be within budget.

That NX300 will have to be pretty cheap, but it can be done. Even so, I will be a bit of a gamble. Parts and service support for the Samsung NX line is just about non-existent in South Africa. If the price is right, I will take the bet. We'll see.

Last edited by Wasp; 11-21-2020 at 02:45 AM.
11-26-2020, 09:18 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Usedphotopro.com has a KP for $645 plus they have a 10% discount and free shipping.

Pentax KP 24.3MP Digital SLR Camera Body K-P
11-26-2020, 12:54 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Usedphotopro.com has a KP for $645 plus they have a 10% discount and free shipping.

Pentax KP 24.3MP Digital SLR Camera Body K-P
Seriously tempting. Fedex shipping to South Africa will be about USD80.
01-28-2021, 06:38 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just a bit of feedback. As mentioned elsewhere on the forum, I found a Samsung NX1 with battery grip, 45mm f/1.8 and 16-50mm f/2-2.8 for a great price. Very happy with it but I now have two copies of the Samsung 16-50mm f/2-2.8. As I also own two bodies I could do video work with them. The NX1 does 4K uncropped, which is a big deal even in 2021. Or I could sell it and start aK3 slush fund. Not an easy prospect, though. Glass for a dead brand do not move fast or fetch great prices, especially in South Africa.

I was looking for my Minolta MD to Samsung NX adapter yesterday and it's nowhere to be found. It must have been in the bag with the NX100. That means that I now have to find another one. What a schlepp that would be. The cheapest option is to have one sent on a slow boat from China. Or I could go look in the rain forest for one. The missing one was bought from a local seller in the classifieds - a lucky break. I bought it to use with a Rokkor 58mm f/1.4 that turned out to have a broken aperture. The repair guy called to say that it was fixed. This led to the realization that the adapter needed was gone. Perhaps I could sell the lens, but the same caveat about dead brands applies.