Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
11-18-2020, 01:47 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Film-powered Rangefinder suggestions.

Howdy all, hope everyone is keeping well.
I’m deliberating getting a little film rangefinder to have something reasonable transportable that I can exhaust film with.
Not absolutely set on budget, but less expensive is a win in my eyes.
A built-in meter would be great, also. Liking the look of the Olympus Trip 35 styles but not so certain about their selenium meters.
Thanks in advance!

11-18-2020, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fixed lens?

Steve
11-18-2020, 02:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Fixed lens?

Steve
Good point - fixed lens would be fine, but happy to hear other options (though Leica typically are out of my price range).
11-18-2020, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
I’m deliberating getting a little film rangefinder to have something reasonable transportable that I can exhaust film with.
You may wish to look at the iconic Olympus 35SP (‘SPot’), which was the first 35mm rangefinder to feature spot metering in addition to center-weighted metering. It's known for its exceptional G. Zuiko 7-element, f/1.7 lens; easy handling; auto-exposure mode and lock; and superb pictures. It’s acclaimed by many to be the best of the 1970’s Olympus rangefinders. They are relatively pricey on the used market, with prices in the $150-250 range depending on condition. However, over the past several years, I've acquired three of them at second-hand shops or flea markets at prices well below $100. (I reconditioned them and resold them.)

The SP35 originally took a PX625 mercury cell, which are no longer available owing to environmental concerns. However, the camera will operate with a zinc-air hearing-aid battery (675 series), which are readily available.

Another fine rangefinder that I have owned is the Canon QL17 GIII.

The Olympus Trip 35 is a fun little camera, although it's not a true rangefinder -- it's a simpler 'view camera' (I think that's what it's called).

- Craig

Here's one of my 35SPs. Lovely camera!

Last edited by c.a.m; 11-18-2020 at 03:55 PM.
11-18-2020, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Good point - fixed lens would be fine, but happy to hear other options (though Leica typically are out of my price range).
I was thinking FED-2 with collapsible Industar 50mm.

Steve
11-18-2020, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a konica auto s2, fixed 45mm lens with leaf shutter. it's quite nice and an affordable way to use a rangefinder camera.
11-18-2020, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Good point - fixed lens would be fine
Steve Gandy's Camera Quest Web site has a good collection of articles that you might find interesting. Likewise, Karen Nakamura's Photoethnology page might also be helpful.

Classic Camera Profiles (see Compact 35's towards the bottom for cool links to the usual suspects)

Photoethnography.com - Classic Cameras (If you see Japanese, click English at upper right.)

Steve

11-18-2020, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
I have a konica auto s2, fixed 45mm lens with leaf shutter. it's quite nice and an affordable way to use a rangefinder camera.
Cool camera.

I noticed that there is a Minolta Hi-Matic 9 on the Marketplace. That camera intrigues me due to its Rokkor 45/1.7 PF lens. The "PF" means 6 elements in 5 groups. The MC Rokkor 55/1.7 PF of the same vintage is highly regarded and I have read similar about the 45/1.7.

Steve
11-18-2020, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Ricoh 500G is a great fixed-lens option, it's cheaper than some of the more well-known 40mm-ish rangefinders, but has a great lens, and can operate with or without battery. Essentially shutter priority metered or full manual. You can have a lot of fun with one of those. Also, if you want to go interchangeable lens, look at the Cosina Voigtlander cameras and lenses. The Bessa-R won't set you back too much, pair it with one of their small rangefinder lenses like the 35mm f2.5 Skopar and you're good to go. (I have the Bessa-T, a rangefinder but the window is solely for focusing, you have to add a hotshoe finder for framing, and the 35mm Skopar. Lots of fun)
11-18-2020, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #10

I am watching a 80's Japanese idol concert 2 days ago and noticed that most people were photographing with Minolta Hi-matic, I don't have a comparison, I think it is smaller and some models have full manual as well.
If you have to go for interchangeable lens, a good working Fed or Zorki is hard to beat.
11-18-2020, 11:53 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
You may wish to look at the iconic Olympus 35SP (‘SPot’), which was the first 35mm rangefinder to feature spot metering in addition to center-weighted metering. It's known for its exceptional G. Zuiko 7-element, f/1.7 lens; easy handling; auto-exposure mode and lock; and superb pictures. It’s acclaimed by many to be the best of the 1970’s Olympus rangefinders. They are relatively pricey on the used market, with prices in the $150-250 range depending on condition. However, over the past several years, I've acquired three of them at second-hand shops or flea markets at prices well below $100. (I reconditioned them and resold them.)

The SP35 originally took a PX625 mercury cell, which are no longer available owing to environmental concerns. However, the camera will operate with a zinc-air hearing-aid battery (675 series), which are readily available.

Another fine rangefinder that I have owned is the Canon QL17 GIII.

The Olympus Trip 35 is a fun little camera, although it's not a true rangefinder -- it's a simpler 'view camera' (I think that's what it's called).

- Craig

Here's one of my 35SPs. Lovely camera!

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I was thinking FED-2 with collapsible Industar 50mm.

Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
The Ricoh 500G is a great fixed-lens option, it's cheaper than some of the more well-known 40mm-ish rangefinders, but has a great lens, and can operate with or without battery. Essentially shutter priority metered or full manual. You can have a lot of fun with one of those. Also, if you want to go interchangeable lens, look at the Cosina Voigtlander cameras and lenses. The Bessa-R won't set you back too much, pair it with one of their small rangefinder lenses like the 35mm f2.5 Skopar and you're good to go. (I have the Bessa-T, a rangefinder but the window is solely for focusing, you have to add a hotshoe finder for framing, and the 35mm Skopar. Lots of fun)
QuoteOriginally posted by Angelic Layer Quote
I am watching a 80's Japanese idol concert 2 days ago and noticed that most people were photographing with Minolta Hi-matic, I don't have a comparison, I think it is smaller and some models have full manual as well.
If you have to go for interchangeable lens, a good working Fed or Zorki is hard to beat.
Wow, thanks everyone for (a) prompt responses and (b) your collective wealth of knowledge.
I'll start, I think, by looking at the Fed's/Zorki's of this world - one thing I hadn't really considered is that, whilst I currently use a mirrorless camera, I could use those lenses interchangeably between digital and film.
I do love the look of the Ricoh 500G, that's a good little suggestion. Reminds me a little, in stature at least, of the Rollei 35 types.
I'll have a look at that Hi-Matic on the marketplace also.
I do like the look of Craig's suggestions but unfortunately they're coming in a shade more than I'd hope to spend right about now. Hopefully I'll spot one in a charity shop!
11-19-2020, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Threads like this one are a bad influence on me. I start looking up the cameras mentioned, compare them in my head, and before I know it I am searching the auction sites for a bargain. It all ends the same, my wife looks at the online banking and asks if I know what X amount of $ was for, and I say yyyyeeesss dear, I know....
11-19-2020, 08:57 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
Threads like this one are a bad influence on me. I start looking up the cameras mentioned, compare them in my head, and before I know it I am searching the auction sites for a bargain. It all ends the same, my wife looks at the online banking and asks if I know what X amount of $ was for, and I say yyyyeeesss dear, I know....
Typically, they're a bad influence on me too... Which is why this time I thought I'd be ahead of the curve!
I'll tell you what, however, the FED-2 or Zorki... something... are pretty good looking cameras. I might go and push myself to learn Sunny 16/Cloudy 11... /Dank-and-drizzly-Wales 4... and see how that goes on the digital camera. If I get a reasonable grasp on that I'll be more inclined to get something without a meter, I reckon.

Ha, my better half and I have separate accounts. Although the majority of bills exit mine it means we get a bit of freedom without scrutiny over our spending. The trust is there that we don't overspend each month and it's worked for around 5 years of house ownership so far. Phew*.

*although the sofa is surprisingly comfortable... hmm...
11-19-2020, 11:34 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
Threads like this one are a bad influence on me.
Typically, they're a bad influence on me too...
Which explains why I am expecting a Minolta Hi-Matic 9 in the post sometime Monday.

I'll tell you what, however, the FED-2 or Zorki... something... are pretty good looking cameras.
More kindling to the fire...

Lens not really bent...hazards of shooting close with a wide-angle...

Steve
11-19-2020, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

I've had a few film rangefinders in my life. My absolute favourite is my '51 Leica llf....screwmount, not bayonet mount. Screwmount is cheaper. Lens, a Leitz Elmar collapsible 50, F 3.5, Yep no meter, but using a hand held meter gets to be a fun thing.

Robust, not particularly fashionable and this makes it cheaper than a Leica bayonet mount as it is merely a screwmount, and the pix it takes are excellent...even 70 years after it was made.