Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
11-20-2020, 06:02 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Word of caution: The plastic on the Olympus hot shoes can get very brittle and may shatter if not handled carefully. Did you check the foam over the prism? Make sure there is none as it can attack and desilver the prism. I did my own light seals on my OM-1. Yeah, I'm cheap.
If it helps, I have a thread from last year when I tinkered with my OM-1.

Thanks,

11-20-2020, 06:04 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Word of caution: The plastic on the Olympus hot shoes can get very brittle and may shatter if not handled carefully. Did you check the foam over the prism? Make sure there is none as it can attack and desilver the prism. I did my own light seals on my OM-1. Yeah, I'm cheap.

Thanks,
Prism is clean, no silvering, and foam is not sticky, just crumbling. Please, send me the link to yours. This does not have a shoe, but did have one at one time. You can see the wear marks. I would like to find another one for it.
11-20-2020, 06:09 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here you go!
Trying to revive an Olympus OM-1 - PentaxForums.com

Thanks,

---------- Post added 11-20-20 at 09:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
Prism is clean, no silvering, and foam is not sticky, just crumbling. Please, send me the link to yours. This does not have a shoe, but did have one at one time. You can see the wear marks. I would like to find another one for it.
It probably shattered at some point...
11-20-2020, 09:32 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Had a good evening cleaning the other two. The Om-2s program lights right up with a new battery, and other than needing new seals, should be ready to go. No silvering or gummy old seals. I put the 28mm on it for pics. The OM-10 cleaned up well but has a couple glitches. The power button under the rewind knob is really sloppy, not clicking into each position and traveling one direction a lot farther than needed. It is so sloppy that I need to check the light meter to make sure it is on. Which leads to the other problem, the shutter will not fire. I am hoping that once the switch is repaired, the other issue is related. It also needs new seals. I would like to find the manual adapter for it also. It has the 1.8 50mm for its beauty shots.

Attached Images

11-21-2020, 01:19 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote

Thanks,
Yep, back in the day these were fragile even then. I only ever put a shoe on if I needed it which was practically never as I used go use a Metz flash with grip attached...one if those big things with loads of huge batteries and a flash so powerful it would take the paint off your house and give you a permanent orange affro if too close [COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 11-21-20 at 01:43 PM ----------

Last edited by Astro-Baby; 11-21-2020 at 01:46 PM.
11-21-2020, 03:34 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I must confess I'm impressed. Congratulations for the work done so far and good luck for what remains to be done.
11-21-2020, 05:15 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I must confess I'm impressed. Congratulations for the work done so far and good luck for what remains to be done.
Thank you.

I watched a video on how to repair the sloppy switch and successfully did so. I cleaned all contacts while I was in there and the meter really lights up now. Shutter is still not working, but yet another video shows what the normal issue with that is, so I will tackle that next.