Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2020, 11:51 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Kmount on Nikon Z

https://megadap.net/product/mtz11/

Adapters are developing thick and fast.

This one works like the TechatPro/FotoDiox for $ony,it will focus an old manual lens by moving the lens.

349 u$d and will support weighty lenses.2 year warranty if bought direct online.

Last edited by surfar; 11-22-2020 at 11:58 AM.
11-22-2020, 01:53 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It's clever, and appears to offer a better implementation mechanically than the Techart Pro adapter I have for Sony E-mount (I guess time will tell once folks have used it for a while with chunkier lenses). However, it suffers from the same clunkiness in setting focal length for IBIS... i.e. use a printed lookup table to select an aperture value that somehow translates to focal length, set the aperture, take a photo, shut down the camera, start it up again, now set the aperture to anything below f/6.3... blah blah. I guess it's OK if you're going out shooting with just one lens for the day, but what a malarky if you're shooting lenses of multiple focal lengths

Still, it's a way of shooting AF with adapted glass - including M42 and K-mount - and should be applauded
11-22-2020, 03:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Still, it's a way of shooting AF with adapted glass - including M42 and K-mount - and should be applauded

Mike
Yes, just an excuse to delay buying native glass which is excellent and expanding quickly.

Will be useful for some people I'm sure.
11-22-2020, 03:41 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes, just an excuse to delay buying native glass which is excellent and expanding quickly.
Well, I don't know about that... Many folks, like me, have a thing for vintage glass. In my case, it's mostly Soviet lenses, but a lot of folks like (for example) older Pentax / Takumar glass, or whatever else from the past. For them, some kind of AF adapter is - in theory - a fantastic idea... but I've not yet seen one delivering an experience that's properly integrated with camera functionality and UI... which is understandable, I guess, when the cameras' firmware doesn't cater for such adapters, and the third party designers / manufacturers of same are forced to kludge something to work.

I gave up on the Techart Pro for my Sony E-mount camera, and will probably sell it as "tested but otherwise unused" (which reflects how much utility I ascribe to it) - but if someone releases an adapter that's robust in long term use, not limited to a small focal length range, and logical to set up without (for example_ requiring silly aperture settings to communicate focal lengths, I'll seriously consider buying one. Until then, I'll stick with manual focus using magnification and/or focus peaking...

11-22-2020, 08:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is really super cool! Could be especially useful if you have an old, pricey specialty lens that is still a good performer where the cost of replacing it with something comparable is prohibitive or impossible. Keep the adapter mounted to that specific lens.
11-22-2020, 09:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Cool. BTW, another reason to use adapted glass over native is when you're doing video or manual focus still work. It's way cheaper than the latest lenses. For event or video, the latest in resolving power is not really necessary.
11-22-2020, 11:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
For event or video, the latest in resolving power is not really necessary.
Certainly, moving pictures are not mounted on a wall for close inspection.

In this case,Nikon have 6 recent bodies that this adapter can be used on.

12-15-2020, 03:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm honestly really tempted by this setup as it will allow great video and usable AF with pentax glass.
12-15-2020, 03:42 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
I'm honestly really tempted by this setup as it will allow great video and usable AF with pentax glass.
From what I've read, Nikon would appreciate the business