Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2020, 05:36 PM   #1

Sony A7 autofocus

Hi everyone!

I'm looking into switching systems or maybe just have both Pentax and another one, and i'm super aware that what i need the most (excluding image quality, which one can take for granted nowadays) is a good autofocus, while a fast burst rate with a deep buffer will be largely appreciated.

I've looked into the original Sony A7 and heard people say its AF was mediocre at best, and that it has a really noticeable shutter lag. This last part would be dreadful as my needs pivot onto a pure sports use.

Is it as bad as people make it sound like?

12-14-2020, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CapitanXeon Quote
Hi everyone!

I'm looking into switching systems or maybe just have both Pentax and another one, and i'm super aware that what i need the most (excluding image quality, which one can take for granted nowadays) is a good autofocus, while a fast burst rate with a deep buffer will be largely appreciated.

I've looked into the original Sony A7 and heard people say its AF was mediocre at best, and that it has a really noticeable shutter lag. This last part would be dreadful as my needs pivot onto a pure sports use.

It also has a horrible viewfinder.
12-14-2020, 07:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You will get way better performance if you pay the same price for a more recent APS-C camera like the Sony a6400 with 11fps. There are plenty lightly used ones around.
12-14-2020, 07:19 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I picked up an original A7 body for my old manual SLR lenses, including Pentax. I find the VF quite adequate, and I can judge sharpness for manual focus much more accurately with it than with any dSLR. Of course more recent mirrorless have much better EVFs, but the A7 works fine for me. In dim light the finder refresh slows, but the image stays bright.
I did pick up an inexpensive Sony 50 f1.8 plastic-fantastic autofocus lens to try (I generally hate autofocus) and in decent light I've been surprised by how accurate it is at f1.8. It sure isn't instant, but very usable. I still prefer manual focus lenses, but my wife likes this one.
I've used SLRs since 1965, and actually prefer the old true ground-glass screens, dim as they are, for accurately judging focus.

12-14-2020, 08:46 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can only say that the A7RII isn’t bad at all. Not as good as I hear later models are, but the finder is ok and focus is fairly quick and accurate. Dynamic range in the EVF is definitely lackluster.
12-14-2020, 10:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
You will get way better performance if you pay the same price for a more recent APS-C camera like the Sony a6400 with 11fps. There are plenty lightly used ones around.
It might be faster but photo quality is not even in the same league. My 7 classic (or basic) is above and beyond better then A6600. I mainly use my 6600 for wildlife 200-600 lens.
12-15-2020, 03:56 AM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi everyone!

The original A7 is still a decent camera, especially if you find one cheaply, but really showing its age these days. Continuous shooting is at 5fps - not bad, but not terribly rapid. Buffer clearing is leisurely, but not terrible. AF is OK using native lenses. EVF feels outdated compared to even the one-generation-newer A7 MkII. Doesn't support lossless raw shooting (ARW files use lossy compression which can compromise shadow recovery and result in occasional artefacts). No in-camera image stabilisation.

I nearly bought the A7 as a cheap full frame body for adapting vintage glass, but skipped it and bought an A7 MkII instead - which is also showing its age compared to recent offerings, but considerably better than its predecessor in a number of ways, not least the EVF. If you're keen on the A7, try to hold out for an A7 MkII at the very least.

12-15-2020, 03:59 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I agree with the above - try one of the newer iterations and see how you get on.
For sports, the suggestion of the A6400 is great - you'd have a further reach being APS-C, frame rate is fast and it's vastly newer than the A7.
12-15-2020, 05:59 AM   #9

Original Poster
Based on what i'm reading, i'm better starting from the A7 II and that comes at a price. I will look around to see what i can get for A7 prices and A7 II prices, as well as equivalent cameras. I don't have a real need of jumping to full frame, and i think it would actually be an issue to me because i generally sit too far from what i want to shoot, so the jump to FF would be negatively impacting. I think i should see what the K3 III does, but last i heard was it's going to cost ~2500$ so yeah, not happening anytime soon

I thought Sony was the gold standard for EVF, i've been surprised about the "meh-iness" of the A7 EVF!
12-15-2020, 06:21 AM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought Sony was the gold standard for EVF, i've been surprised about the "meh-iness" of the A7 EVF!
The A7 was announced in 2013, at which time its EVF was decent and competitive - but technology in that area has advanced considerably year-on-year, with improvements in resolution, dynamic range, refresh rate etc. Each subsequent generation of A7 has improved upon the last, including the quality and performance of the EVF. If you're buying an A7, go for the latest generation you can afford. If that's the original A7, so be it - but be ready to judge it against 2013 standards, not 2020

I'm perfectly happy with the EVF in my A7 MkII, but there are folks in these forums who've tried one and didn't like it. The latest EVFs are much better...
12-15-2020, 07:10 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
but be ready to judge it against 2013 standards, not 2020
yeah, i'm not someone that looks for the latest and the greatest, but if the 2013 EVF is going to give me a harder time than a 2010 OVF, OVF will be becasue i'm not going to be able to afford nothing newer. Also didn't factor the lenses cost, which i've been looking around and it's steep for sure!
12-15-2020, 07:16 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

yeah, i'm not someone that looks for the latest and the greatest, but if the 2013 EVF is going to give me a harder time than a 2010 OVF, OVF will be becasue i'm not going to be able to afford nothing newer. Also didn't factor the lenses cost, which i've been looking around and it's steep for sure!
In the native Sony Mount there are some bargains but generally the lenses are pricey. I suggest this article if you do head down the Sony path:

Sony FE lenses: The honest Guide for the A7/A7II/A7III A7rII/A7rIII/A7rIV A7c A9 - phillipreeve.net

Also the new monster autofocus adapter seems like a promising option.
12-15-2020, 09:52 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
In the native Sony Mount there are some bargains but generally the lenses are pricey. I suggest this article if you do head down the Sony path:

Sony FE lenses: The honest Guide for the A7/A7II/A7III A7rII/A7rIII/A7rIV A7c A9 - phillipreeve.net

Also the new monster autofocus adapter seems like a promising option.
Thanks! I'll look into it that's for sure

I saw the monster adapter, but currently has no pricing so i'm on a standby there
12-15-2020, 10:03 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks! I'll look into it that's for sure

I saw the monster adapter, but currently has no pricing so i'm on a standby there
The hints given suggest $350 roughly.
12-15-2020, 10:12 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The hints given suggest $350 roughly.
oof. i was planning on getting better lenses anyway, if i only considered a body replacement i'd think about it.