Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-21-2020, 02:10 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nikon cutting Cost$$$$$$$

I had read that was their intention,Ricoh leads in this category(they did it first,even before Samsung and Olympus).

????????????????????????????????????????? (1/4) ?dot.??AERA dot. (??????)

12-21-2020, 02:46 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote

I had read that was their intention,Ricoh leads in this category(they did it first,even before Samsung and Olympus).

????????????????????????????????????????? (1/4) ?dot.??AERA dot. (??????)
They've been making body's and lenses in Thailand for a long time now. It's probably just too expensive for labor to build in Japan to be competitive with today's camera market. I've got a Thailand-built D-750 and Z5 and they're both high quality.
12-21-2020, 03:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
It's probably just too expensive for labor to build in Japan to be competitive
Obviously,Fujis main manufacturing plant is in China.The quality is fine as well.
12-21-2020, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #4
mee
Veteran Member

My 3 year old D750 was made in Thailand. It's never skipped a beat either. Nikon has been manufacturing there for many years. They've just officially sealed it I guess. Non-story but glad it's not made in China.

12-21-2020, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

This happens in so many industries... A company shifts its manufacturing to a new country where labour costs are much lower, other companies follow suit and so demand for that country's labour grows, that labour eventually becomes too expensive and the manufacturing shifts to a different country... and so on, and so on.

I fondly remember a time when Japanese guitars were positively cheap compared to USA and European instruments. As a teenager, I owned a Tokai Telecaster that was every bit as good as Fender's original sonically, played beautifully and was superbly built - but was a fraction of the price. Now, Japanese luthiery is in such demand that prices aren't far behind USA-made instruments, and "classic" Japanese guitars like that Tokai Tele fetch a lot more than I paid 35 years ago... I wish I'd kept it

No matter where Nikon or any of the other companies move their manufacturing to, the facilities will be set up, staff trained, and quality monitored to the same high standards...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-21-2020 at 03:37 PM.