Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2020, 07:11 AM - 2 Likes   #1

my om1

It's been awhile since I've been on the Forum asthma health and cancer has been sort of holding me back. But in my absence I picked up another camera because I like interchangeable focusing screens. I found a premotor drive Olympus om-1, no foam degradation, everything works including light meter, came with 135 3.5 lens. I have a standard 1.8 on order, got to love the old stuff

Attached Images

Last edited by legendofkane; 12-25-2020 at 04:45 PM.
12-25-2020, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice!
A great viewfinder.
Enjoy!
12-25-2020, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful Om-1. I recently found one. It needs the seals replaced, but it came from the original owner.
12-25-2020, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Health issues are a bear, eh? I am glad you are still able to enjoy our hobby, but at a slower pace.

The OM-1 looks great.

Steve

12-25-2020, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Wonderful camera and it looks in great shape too. Sorry to hear of health issues.
12-25-2020, 04:41 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Nice!
A great viewfinder.
Enjoy!
they are the best!.. clear as a bell on this one

---------- Post added 12-25-20 at 04:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
Wonderful camera and it looks in great shape too. Sorry to hear of health issues.
i was surprised it had the flash port plug, which is fine since i don't really use a flash. Cancer is a mess, but that's life. might as well do what you enjoy.

---------- Post added 12-25-20 at 04:45 PM ----------

I am using 675 hearing aid batteries and stopping down to 100 speed film from 400 to compensate for the meter Spirit the 135 is not the best lens for that which is why I want the standard 1.8. I may go to a 50 3.5

---------- Post added 12-25-20 at 05:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Health issues are a bear, eh? I am glad you are still able to enjoy our hobby, but at a slower pace.

The OM-1 looks great.

Steve
I thank you for your comment and yeah when you get to a certain age you have to slow down anyway that's sort of the point in life. Someone said that time is a predator that stalks us, I believe time is a companion that walks along with us reminding us to cherish the time that we have and not to take life for granted
12-25-2020, 05:41 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
Beautiful Om-1. I recently found one. It needs the seals replaced, but it came from the original owner.
There's a guy in a couple of cities away from me that I'm going to have him remove the top cover and to remove any foam that may be under it to be proactive in care of the prism .. then a great job on a Leica M3 that I had oh, he said he had used that same model camera for 40 years.

12-25-2020, 10:45 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by legendofkane Quote
There's a guy in a couple of cities away from me that I'm going to have him remove the top cover and to remove any foam that may be under it to be proactive in care of the prism .. then a great job on a Leica M3 that I had oh, he said he had used that same model camera for 40 years.
Sorry you are fighting cancer and asthma. Stay strong. Nice OM-1. That was the 1st camera I bought. Was supposed to get one w/o motor drive connection, and Olympus changed plans and added it to all of them. Too many were being sent in to be converted. Still have a bunch of OM stuff.

Thanks,
barondla
12-26-2020, 12:35 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Sorry you are fighting cancer and asthma. Stay strong. Nice OM-1. That was the 1st camera I bought. Was supposed to get one w/o motor drive connection, and Olympus changed plans and added it to all of them. Too many were being sent in to be converted. Still have a bunch of OM stuff.

Thanks,
barondla
if you have any 1 - 3 or 1 - 13 Focus screens for sale i would be glad to buy one

Last edited by legendofkane; 12-26-2020 at 08:00 AM.
12-26-2020, 08:01 AM   #10

Original Poster
are you going to replace the seals yourself or send it out. I've always wanted to do it but never had the courage to do so
12-26-2020, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

are you going to replace the seals yourself or send it out. I've always wanted to do it but never had the courage to do so
Yes, I plan on replacing them myself. I get a kit from Jon Goodman, great product and very accurate instructions for removing the old seals and installing the new. Only $11.00 shipped. Contact him at jon_goodman@yahoo.com if you ever want to try it.
12-26-2020, 11:27 AM   #12

Original Poster
Yes, I plan on replacing them myself. I get a kit from Jon Goodman, great product and very accurate instructions for removing the old seals and installing the new. Only $11.00 shipped. Contact him at jon_goodman@yahoo.com if you ever want to try it.
that's not a bad price, I don't mind doing all of it except the bumper for the mirror since it involves debris getting inside the Box. Even though I guess I could stuff things inside of it to keep debris from falling into it
12-26-2020, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I really appreciate what Yoshihisa Maitani had done for the camera world starting with the Pen series followed by the OM series. We can only guess if Pentax would have made the M series without the motivation from Olympus!

That OM1 looks in great shape! Put to good use it is certainly capable of delivering!

May the new year bring you health and prosperity and an opportunity to use these marvelous industrial works of art!
12-27-2020, 12:00 AM - 1 Like   #14

Original Poster
It is a question we may never know the answer to, my first camera was still a Pentax and that will never change. I still love the MX the LX and me super. And I do sort of miss my Leica M3 but the Olympus that was not over-engineered as Leica,its still a great machine and you know I will put it to good use in the time that I can
12-27-2020, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It is a question we may never know the answer to, my first camera was still a Pentax and that will never change. I still love the MX the LX and me super. And I do sort of miss my Leica M3 but the Olympus that was not over-engineered as Leica,its still a great machine and you know I will put it to good use in the time that I can
Not sure what "not over-engineered as Leica" means but clearly Leica is very protective of their brand and sued Olympus compelling them to change their initial designation of M-1 to OM-1.