Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2021, 10:24 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Used MILC market is growing

According to KEH, the volume of MILC stuff out there is growing:

"Looking slightly back, DSLRs ruled our top 10 best-selling cameras of the decade from 2010 to 2019. But, as I mentioned in that article, it was just a matter of time before mirrorless cameras would start sneaking into the top 10, and eventually take over.

Well, it didn't take too long, because in 2020, three mirrorless bodies appeared on our year-end top 10 list, with the Sony a6000 blowing past the rest of the competition to take the top spot.
It takes a huge volume of sales to get to the top of our list, so it's clear that there's a tremendous amount of Sony a6000's circulating out there to feed both supply and demand.
"
Tilt-Shift Report: How Fast Is The Used Mirrorless Market Growing? | Spotlight

02-28-2021, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #2

I think it should not be too surprising. If battery life and OVF is not a concern, MILC makes photography more accessible for a lot of users. Cameras are going back to being a niche thing (YoY downtrend), so it is important for all of us to help and encourage community growth and provide new users help when they need it .Within my personal friend group (early 20s), I really only know another person that uses a DSLR (Nikon D90), and even then I've been recommending MILC over DSLR for most of my friends. I know one person that switched from a Canon T3i to a Canon M100 as they wanted something more compact, easy taking high quality pictures and photos. I do have one friend that recently went back to their Canon 5D (forgot which mark) after using the A7Rii (they cited ergonomic,battery life, and general usability concerns).

I recently acquired a used Sony A6000 to see what the fuss is about (not my first mirrorless, I've used the Olympus E-M5, and my primary is the Panasonic G85). I thought people were exaggerating how bad the ergonomics and menus were, but wow, it is bad . I have used Nikon, Panasonic, Pentax, and Olympus without internally screaming trying to change my settings. That being said (before I get staked on a pole by a Sony user), it is quite a performer and when it's doing camera duties (taking pictures), it is very painless and enjoyable in that aspect! By KEH's wording, it makes me think where the ex A6000 users are going. Are they staying within the Sony ecosystem, upgrading to a higher tier A6X000 or jumping to A7 series? Maybe they are jumping across the ship to Fujifilm with their discrete dials and nice JPEG engine? Or, maybe they're done with MILC and want to try out a DSLR?
02-28-2021, 12:30 PM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
both of my Fuji bodies were bought used and could not be happier with them...

it makes sense that the used market for MILC's would've grow, especially as fast as they move technologically...
02-28-2021, 02:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
According to KEH, the volume of MILC stuff out there is growing:

"Looking slightly back, DSLRs ruled our top 10 best-selling cameras of the decade from 2010 to 2019. But, as I mentioned in that article, it was just a matter of time before mirrorless cameras would start sneaking into the top 10, and eventually take over.

Well, it didn't take too long, because in 2020, three mirrorless bodies appeared on our year-end top 10 list, with the Sony a6000 blowing past the rest of the competition to take the top spot.
It takes a huge volume of sales to get to the top of our list, so it's clear that there's a tremendous amount of Sony a6000's circulating out there to feed both supply and demand.
"
Tilt-Shift Report: How Fast Is The Used Mirrorless Market Growing? | Spotlight
A little surprised it happened this fast, but the writing has been on the wall for a couple of years. DSLRs have hit a wall in terms of technical advancement, but mirrorless is still a long way from being a mature system. There is much greater capacity for growth in mirrorless.

02-28-2021, 02:53 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
A little surprised it happened this fast, but the writing has been on the wall for a couple of years. DSLRs have hit a wall in terms of technical advancement, but mirrorless is still a long way from being a mature system. There is much greater capacity for growth in mirrorless.

Lets not forget DSLRs are picking up MILC tricks too . From off the top of my head, I know Canon and Nikon has a form of face/eye detect if you're using the OVF, and now it will be nice to see Pentax joining that too with the K-3iii. We've also seen DSLRs pick up a form of phase detect for live view, such as the K-70 from Pentax, Nikon's recent full frame D780, or Canon going off with their interesting dual photosite setup that mimics the same capabilities.

But, I still agree to the overall thoughts that MILCs have great capacity to grow and implement interesting technologies.