Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2021, 06:24 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Buying into Nikon?Theres not many taking the new way!

A recent look at market share of MILCs shows a poor uptake of Z system.

Sony 35%

Canon 30%

Fuji 12%

In the grave(JIP) 8%... used to come under Olympus

On life support, Nikon 7.5%

Lost....panasonic.

?????????????? ???????????????????????????

03-03-2021, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I'm been happy to have Pentax MILC or not. Just passed 53 years of ownership of various Pentax models.
03-03-2021, 08:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not sure if folks with an interest / "love" of Pentax can gloat about such things. I think a problem for Nikon is looking special enough to attract attention. I know of Fuji glass that is special, along with their very different bodies. I think Canon's R series bodies seem sort of ordinary looking but good performing, generally, and they have some interesting glass. Olympus has some cool glass and they've done quite well with image stabilization. Panasonic doesn't interest me but I think they've got some good cameras for video work, and the L-mount provides access to a lot of different glass.

I don't know what would interest people in the Nikon Z system. It wouldn't shock me if they end up abandoning Z mount and sticking with F as they haven't shut down that mount like Canon did with the EF mount.
03-03-2021, 09:46 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
shut down that mount like Canon did with the EF mount.
EF isn't shut down though.

What Canon said is they are concentrating on R mount(a mass of glass coming this year,announcement will be huge).

Canon went on to say IF there is specific demand for EF gLass,they will make it.So when you look at what's available in EF(just from Canon 150million lenses) and the wide variety, the user base appears not to be asking for new stuff.Lots of Canon Dslr users haven't switched to R yet and may never, but they will continue to buy glass and the odd new body.

Nikons problem seems to be the sales of their new mount are not what they expected.Their track record in Milc isn't quite pristine, they abandoned their 1 series.The old once bitten cliche may tie into poor sales.Factor in their initial Z mirrorless bodies were deficient in a few areas and reasonably pricey.Of course they have now got new product to market, but this should have come in 2018.

---------- Post added 03-04-21 at 04:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I don't know what would interest people in the Nikon Z system. It wouldn't shock me if they end up abandoning Z mount and sticking with F
Looking at the recent losses, anything is a possibility.Nikon have made public statements saying they expect to be in profit at the end of this fiscal year.I hope they can do it, i like the 2 Nikons that I use on occasion.

03-04-2021, 01:03 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think Pentax percentage was rightly excluded. Pentax business model is vastly different to the big boys. With Pentax I now think "niche". Nikon z mount cameras, well, the mkii are said to be superb but they don't have the lenses. OK, I know you can get adapters but that dramatically changes the form factor. The trouble is, if Milc fails, will they have enough to survive. M4/3 is by all accounts big in Japan so that may save lumix and oly. I think mirrorless is the future, simply because technology marches on. Fuji seem to be quite nicely settled in apsc milc, Sony and canon are the big players in FF, Pentax are the kings of the pentaprism ..... OK, who have I left out .... Aaah. It will be very bad if Nikon fails because their cameras are wonderful and I would love a z6ii but I wouldn't invest in Z mount unless I had a ton of disposable income
03-04-2021, 01:52 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I think Pentax percentage was rightly excluded.
The figures are for mirrorless,Pentax dont make them anymore.

Pentax has 3% of Dslr market going on last years figures.That could increase with the newby when it arrives.

---------- Post added 03-04-21 at 07:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
OK, who have I left out
The smartest camera company,SAMSUNG.They read the market,saw that it was on the decline so transferred their camera staff to the phn division!
03-04-2021, 03:35 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am convinced that a lot of Nikon's problems stem from the fact that they just decided to replicate their F mount lens line up with the Z mount -- except that all of the lenses are more expensive and there is pretty minimal used market. I know the Z mount cameras are a little smaller and the lenses are a little sharper, but I just don't think a lot of folks really wanted to drop the amount of money it would take to get a little smaller system. And if your plan is simply to use your current F mount lenses with an adapter on one of the Z cameras, the size improvement isn't as much either.

03-04-2021, 03:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Surprised kind to see panasonic take the dive(not sure if they did begin with submarine anyway). it sertainly don't look so good for anyone else than Sony and now Canon. Canon fight hard with Sony in their own game and those resources seem to get them there. To be honest with Canon vs. Nikon, Canon also only in last -R- models made the real step up when Nikon gave just okay update (good thing for Nikon is that they did also update their previous cameras via firmware quite a bit). Canon user base has always been big. Not so muh with Nikon. Bad thing for Nikon is that latest Z versions are still behind in order to keep up with 2 big ones, as well as the lens lineup is also lagging behind.

It is interesting. Sony really want to take the lead. But now real life differences are quite small with flagships. It is purely numbers. It is not hard to predict what is coming next.
03-04-2021, 04:17 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Typical. I would pick Nikon or Panasonic. I hate the big boys Sony and Canon.
03-04-2021, 05:46 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Pentax has 3% of Dslr market going on last years figures.That could increase with the newby when it arrives.
Wasn't that the DSLR market share they have in Japan, Pentax largest market?
03-04-2021, 05:51 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The figures are for mirrorless,Pentax dont make them anymore.

---------- Post added 03-04-21 at 07:55 PM ----------

The smartest camera company,SAMSUNG.They read the market,saw that it was on the decline so transferred their camera staff to the phn division!
I missed where you said milc
03-04-2021, 06:30 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A recent look at market share of MILCs shows a poor uptake of Z system.

Sony 35%

Canon 30%

Fuji 12%

In the grave(JIP) 8%... used to come under Olympus

On life support, Nikon 7.5%

Lost....panasonic.

?????????????? ???????????????????????????
I know a lot of nikon shooters from my photo club. I think part of it is that the nikon DSLRs are really quite good and they're quite invested in it. Similar situation to pentax, who wants to turf all their glass for a system that is already great, or deal with adapters?
03-04-2021, 07:26 AM   #13
mee
Veteran Member

You'll believe any news that fits the agenda of you FUD purveyors.

Instead of believing 3rd party hit pieces, how about just listening to the company themself?

QuoteQuote:
Imaging Products: Record quarterly sales for mirrorless cameras. Deficit (sic) shrank despite decline in revenue, thanks to improved product mix and reduced business cost. Segment was profitable in real terms, excluding factors such as restructuring relevant expenses.
https://www.nikon.com/about/ir/ir_library/result/pdf/2021/21third_all_e.pdf
03-04-2021, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I think part of it is that the nikon DSLRs are really quite good and they're quite invested in it.
Yes,probably contributes.The moving pictures of the Nikon dslrs fall short though.

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
or deal with adapters?
All they do is add a little weight and length.Many report that the Dslr glass is better on the M/L bodies than on the Dslrs they used to use.Ofcourse its because of the updated processors.

The FTZ adapter costs plenty,i did read some scathing stuff about the price in the early days.
03-04-2021, 07:50 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You'll believe any news that fits the agenda of you FUD purveyors.

Instead of believing 3rd party hit pieces, how about just listening to the company themself?

https://www.nikon.com/about/ir/ir_library/result/pdf/2021/21third_all_e.pdf
I’d be careful listening to company releases, too...

A record quarter for a market space you’ve been in how long? Even including the 1 series, that’s not saying much...

“The segment is profitable...except... expenses...”
That’s obviously an intentionally skewed reading of the release, but there’s a lot of room for interpretation there.

In any event, I think the truth is complicated, and I expect Nikon has a lot of worried people trying to make reality read more like mee’s reading of the release and less like the “hit piece”

-Eric
Closed Thread