Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-06-2021, 08:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

DP Review Shooting Video using the Pentax K-01

03-06-2021, 09:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, that is the third of four videos to be shot with the K-01.

03-06-2021, 11:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Jordan lost out on a comparison exercise and the penalty was shooting 4 editions with a Pentax.

A7iii versus XT4.
03-07-2021, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Other than the audio clipping in the one video the k-01 seemed fine. I’m sure as a dedicated video platform it left a lot to be desired but Jordan made it work.

03-07-2021, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Other than the audio clipping in the one video the k-01 seemed fine. I’m sure as a dedicated video platform it left a lot to be desired but Jordan made it work.
I agree. I didn't see anything horrid about the decade-old K-01 video. Talent trumps gear once again.
03-07-2021, 12:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I agree. I didn't see anything horrid about the decade-old K-01 video. Talent trumps gear once again.
For someone who has a degree in Cinematography,you would think so.
'
Chime in @ ThatJordonDrake...if you bother with this forum these days.
03-07-2021, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Chime in @ ThatJordonDrake
The summons might work better without the space in @ThatJordonDrake.

Steve

03-07-2021, 07:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

@ThatJordanDrake
03-07-2021, 07:51 PM   #9
Forum Member

Jordan Drake did comment on a similar thread on the Pentax Forums on DPReview four days ago:

Re: Pentax K-01 finally recognised by DPReview TV!: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
03-10-2021, 09:49 PM   #10
Pentaxian

the final video shot on the K-01

03-11-2021, 04:48 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Gosh, and they could have had a Pentax KP plus a Godox V1 speedlight, plus a Tamron 17-50 2.8 and stayed under budget and with stabilization which they said can't be had under $1000. Or gone with the K70 with the same add-ons and too while staying way under the $1000, room to upgrade the lens.

BTW, the video shot on the K01 still looked and sounded OK.
03-11-2021, 07:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Gosh, and they could have had a Pentax KP plus a Godox V1 speedlight, plus a Tamron 17-50 2.8 and stayed under budget and with stabilization which they said can't be had under $1000. Or gone with the K70 with the same add-ons and too while staying way under the $1000, room to upgrade the lens.

BTW, the video shot on the K01 still looked and sounded OK.
I feel like most cameras can take pretty good quality 1080p which is fine for most everything. With a decent external recorder the sound can be high quality as well. It's always funny watching everyone obsess about RAW codec etc then it's uploaded to youtube at a fraction of its original high quality bitrate. It's sort of like saying you have to have medium format 100mp then only viewing it on a cell phone.

Probably the most annoying thing is some of the AF systems that are constantly fidgeting to stay in focus. That can always be fixed by just shooting in manual focus but that has it's issues too.
03-11-2021, 07:33 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was confused by Jordan’s assertion that the k-01 lacked dynamic range. I know it’s old but doesn’t it use the same sensor that was used in the k-5 / k-30 / k-50? In stills mode those are pretty dynamic due in part to the big pixels. Is video different? I’m asking out of ignorance.

As for their choices, given the selection of mirrorless by Chris- Fuji is the most Pentax like. And Jordan’s choice made sense to me as well.
03-11-2021, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I was confused by Jordan’s assertion that the k-01 lacked dynamic range. I know it’s old but doesn’t it use the same sensor that was used in the k-5 / k-30 / k-50? In stills mode those are pretty dynamic due in part to the big pixels. Is video different? I’m asking out of ignorance.
I'm in the same position. I understand that the K-01 has good dynamic range for photos, available in the RAW files, but for video I imagine it's a question of what the camera chooses to store in the files. Rather like compression of sound into MP3 (or other compressed formats), not all codecs are equal.

I was a bit annoyed with the choice of the K-01 as I consider it unfair to use such an old camera. People wanted him to use "a Pentax camera" as if something from nine years ago would have the same video capabilities as a KP, for example, and the mocking of Pentax would continue over there. How many people are watching these videos thinking Pentax is awful for video today? Surely they must be much better by now.

I never use video on my K-3, or on my mirrorless Fujifilms, but it's an important factor in what many users and potential buyers consider when making their buying decisions these days.
03-11-2021, 09:35 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I'm in the same position. I understand that the K-01 has good dynamic range for photos, available in the RAW files, but for video I imagine it's a question of what the camera chooses to store in the files. Rather like compression of sound into MP3 (or other compressed formats), not all codecs are equal.

I was a bit annoyed with the choice of the K-01 as I consider it unfair to use such an old camera. People wanted him to use "a Pentax camera" as if something from nine years ago would have the same video capabilities as a KP, for example, and the mocking of Pentax would continue over there. How many people are watching these videos thinking Pentax is awful for video today? Surely they must be much better by now.

I never use video on my K-3, or on my mirrorless Fujifilms, but it's an important factor in what many users and potential buyers consider when making their buying decisions these days.
I didn’t think about the codec, good point.

I thought the k-01 was selected by the subscribers.