Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2021, 09:57 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Fuji is the system I currently use, but honestly I’m considering switching back to Pentax because Fuji has an annoying set of lenses that require software correction and most of which cost more than the FA limited lenses and don’t have much advantage in size or speed.

04-20-2021, 10:14 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Another vote for the Fujifilm bodies. Love my X-T3 and loved my X-T30 as well.
04-20-2021, 10:28 PM   #18
Pentaxian

It seems amazing that more inclined to suggest Fujifilm. Back in the the days, I have a short (2 weeks) experience with the X-100T, intended for family shots and general shootings. I think the latest version can also be mixed up in the air as your juggle with your kids.

Of course the you may of for ILC's as well as the X100 series is limited/simplified by its fixed lens.
04-20-2021, 11:35 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Many options mentioned. I don’t have any personal experience with Fuji but specs -wise I’d definitely go there. And all the ooc jpegs I’ve seen are of very good quality, at least. Another factor is color rendering, Fuji is impressive in that manner. Of course when shooting RAW that’s not a big deal. But I find myself shooting jpeg when I want a plethora of,let’s say, quick memories. XT-2, XT-3, even other options, lower-end but very capable.
I have used the OM-Ds sometimes, they are quite nice. Sensor size is a factor, so you’ll need to consider it.

04-21-2021, 01:33 AM   #20
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No experience of Fujifilm but if I had to leave Pentax it would probably be to Fuji. However, Pentax do make something comparable in size, the KP. It has just been discontinued, however don't let that put you off, might be possible to still pick up a new one and definetly possible to get a little used 2nd hand one.

Advantages are you can still use your K3 lenses or pair it with one of the Ltd primes if you don't have one. Size wise there's a comparison in the link below

Fujifilm X-T3 vs Pentax KP Detailed Comparison

Alternatively, keep the APS-c quality but go very small

04-21-2021, 02:49 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by doroth2 Quote
Hi! I have been absent from the forum for a long time!

I currently have a K1-ii which was a gift from my amazing husband when we had our third child. Alas, juggling the K1 and 3 children has proven next to impossible. I am getting ready to list it for sale, as it is just too big. I am keeping my old K3 body and some lenses, but thinking about investing in a mirrorless body that will hopefully get a little more use. Can anyone recommend a good mirrorless to go to coming from the world of Pentax? I love Pentax for the ease of use and intuitive menu systems etc. I will do lots of research on my own, but thought this community might be a good place to start. Thanks for all your input!
I guess the question is how small you need your package (lens plus body) to be. I would think a KP or K-70 plus DA 18-135 and a couple of DA limiteds would be a pretty small package.

To go much smaller you probably need to go down a sensor size and look at Olympus. I am a bit concerned about their future as they are under new management, but their camera bodies are pretty reasonably priced and quite small.
04-21-2021, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #22

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Seems as tho many Pentax members consider Fuji to be the MILC distant-relative twice removed. I'd start my search with them.
With that mention, what is it you think mirrorless will give you that Pentax cannot? People have different expectations for their gear.
I'm mostly trying to find something a little more compact. I frequently end up leaving the camera home when we go on hikes with the kids. There is just too much to carry, and the camera becomes one more thing to worry about. It's heavy and bulky. I love my pentax gear, I'm just not using it. I end up taking all my pictures with my phone, and I would prefer a real camera.

---------- Post added 04-21-21 at 01:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Jugglers usually use special juggling balls. Good on you for trying the kids and a camera. (sorry, couldn't resist).

For what it's worth, I'll mention that my son has a Fuji X-T3 (APS-C format), which he has used for more than a year. He's generally very happy with the camera and the lenses. He's used it for still photography and videography, including a couple of paid gigs. He likes the size overall, and the feature set. His one niggle that I've heard -- although not a serious complaint -- is that the camera is a bit awkward or tiring to handle with his largest lens, an XF 55-200 zoom. The lens is not huge, but it and the camera do not balance well, mainly because of the smallish grip. The addition of a battery grip has helped a lot with the handling and comfort, he says.

I had a chance to use his X-T3 for a week. Nice camera, easy to use, fairly decent menu system. Images were good, although I prefer the output from my K-3 II. The electronic viewfinder was okay to my eyes, but I prefer my optical viewfinder.

From trying cameras at a couple of gear expos and from what I've read, I think that mirrorless cameras, in general, lack some of the excellent ergonomics that we know in Pentax cameras. In particular, their grips tend to be too small, or one's fingers get squeezed in near the lens barrel. Newer MILCs, especially full-frame models, seem to be increasing the grip somewhat at the expense of a larger body. Similarly, buttons and controls may be too small, especially in Micro Four-Thirds models.

Lenses for APS-C or full-frame mirrorless cameras tend to be comparable in size and weight to their DSLR counterparts, so there's not a huge advantage lens-wise.

Of course, it would be important to try any prospective camera before buying.

- Craig
Thank you!

I played with my sister's Olympus last year for a bit. With lens attached it was not a tiny camera. Maybe I should just go back to the K3...

---------- Post added 04-21-21 at 01:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I love, love, love my pair of Fuji bodies (X-T2 and X-H1) - funny thing, however, is that I own a total of one Fuji native lens; the rest are all adapted/film era lenses...

and the jpegs that come out of the cameras are simply stunning....
Thank you! I will definitely check them out.

04-21-2021, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm mostly trying to find something a little more compact. I frequently end up leaving the camera home when we go on hikes with the kids. There is just too much to carry, and the camera becomes one more thing to worry about. It's heavy and bulky. I love my pentax gear, I'm just not using it. I end up taking all my pictures with my phone, and I would prefer a real camera.
Another option to consider is a fixed lens compact camera. My dad went from Pentax APSC to M43 to a Sony RX100 mk 4. I myself own a Panasonic LX7 and used it in Europe on a trip where talking gear wasn’t an option (I was too loaded down with other junk and had five other people with me including a pair of kids and a mentally disabled adult. ) samples here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/129729978@N02/sets/72157666401490872, (these are lower resolution jpgs posted while in country with poor WiFi)

If you’re keeping a k-3, maybe a smaller fixed lens (zoom) for hiking isn’t a bad option. I like the idea of the LX-100 mk II but I haven’t tried it YET. I have too much gear to justify it. The appeal is a slightly smaller image circle than standard m43 using the 20mp m43 sensor with a fast (for that format) sharp zoom that covers the same angle of view as the 24-70 on your k-1. The Sony RX100 series is nice enough but perhaps too small? Quality is very good but the controls and menus tend to be viewed as punishment invented by demonic beings to torment logical photographer’s brains.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 04-21-2021 at 06:26 AM.
04-21-2021, 07:03 AM   #24

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Since you are keeping the K-3 and that is APSC format; do you want a larger sensor like the k-1 or the same apsc size or smaller? Personally I have owned apsc mirrorless (Samsung), m43 (Olympus and Panasonic) and Full Frame (Sony A7RII) as well as APSC Pentax DSLRs (K100D / K100D Super / K-50 / K-3 / KP) and I borrowed a K1 for a month along with the 24-70.

My thinking: 1) there are a few advantages to full frame but most of us rarely explore the edge of that world. 2) You are keeping the K-3 and that covers APSC. 3) m43 20mp files are quite good - and the bulk of the k1 was one of the reasons you are considering moving to mirrorless - so why not go small? The size advantage is there unless you go with the largest lenses and even then the crop factor makes them more impressive. I have a mix of a higher end zoom (f2.8 12-35) a middleweight zoom (45-175) some compact slow zooms (12-32, 35-100) and several primes of various types. I can assemble a good light kit easily when desired and a lower light kit if needed.

Mind you I still shoot my KP and my Sony - but sometimes I need a smaller kit to travel with.
No need for the larger sensor. I definitely haven’t needed the full frame sensor. Smaller is a great idea!
04-21-2021, 09:00 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No need for the larger sensor. I definitely haven’t needed the full frame sensor. Smaller is a great idea!
Along those lines bear in mind your intentions. If you go for the fastest super high end zoom lenses the weight and size savings can be more modest. My own m43 kit includes a few 2.8 or faster primes and one 2.8 zoom as mentioned.

Example kits:

Light hiking kit; Panasonic 12-32 or Panasonic PZ 14-42 on camera. 35-100 in pocket. Using Olympus OMD-EM1 / Panasonic GX8/7/ or 1. Gives 28-200 coverage f3.5-5.6. Often my Olympus body cap 9mm fisheye comes along (fixed f8, 3 steps of manual focus) as well as the 20mm f1.7 Panasonic if I have the space. This is a light small kit. Adding the primes gives an option for low light and wide angle/ fun fisheye.

I have a Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 and use it with the Panasonic 42.5 f1.7 when I expect the extra speed is needed.

I have a Panasonic 45-175 when more reach is required.

I have an Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro when an extension tube isn’t sufficient.

I have a Sigma 30mm f2.8 when I feel the urge to use only primes (9mm f8 body cap, 20 f1.7, 30 f2.8, 42.5 f1.7, 60 f2.8 gives a range similar to 17-120 on full frame.

Bear in mind slow lenses like the 35-100 are still sharp and offer good rendering.
I also have the Olympus Air-01 I can toss in a bag as a backup camera - 16mp uses a smartphone to provide the screen needed. Or I can just add the GX1 which is tiny already.

Essentially with m43 the size limitation inwilling to carry that day is what governs my lens selection. There are excellent larger range modest sized zooms as well.
04-23-2021, 07:24 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Compact point and shoot is also a good choice for a juggling camera. The compact p/s Canon G series(and gx) have a long history and decent firmware, unlike their mirrorless and T series. {haters gonna hate}

I wanted to downsize my rig last year, and I've been loving my Olympus e-m5ii for classic handling, water seals, better IQ than my k50 and serious style in a more compact camera - and yes the menus can be a little frustrating at times. I also got a pen mini as a backup, which is very compact while using the same micro 4/3 lenses, most of which fit easily in a jacket or vest pocket while on the frame and focus like a dewdrop falling into in a silent spring.
I also like the way Micro 4/3 lenses will interchange with other brands, but my experience with the others is limited to one noisy tank of a panasonic 20mm, so I can't say how the rest of them are, though I would point out that a big Leica L on the frame means price tags to match and little else (and the L-bots attack in 3..2..1.)

Snapsort and other comparison websites can help you decide too with reviews weights and dimensions. I do a websearch for camera a vs. camera b and often use a camera I own for one of the choices, often with it in front of me to help get a "feel" for the other ones researching.

Good luck!
04-24-2021, 06:30 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
I also like the way Micro 4/3 lenses will interchange with other brands, but my experience with the others is limited to one noisy tank of a panasonic 20mm, so I can't say how the rest of them are, though I would point out that a big Leica L on the frame means price tags to match and little else (and the L-bots attack in 3..2..1.)

Snapsort and other comparison websites can help you decide too with reviews weights and dimensions. I do a websearch for camera a vs. camera b and often use a camera I own for one of the choices, often with it in front of me to help get a "feel" for the other ones researching.

Good luck!
If the 20mm f1.7 is the one you mean there are two versions. One is clunkier and slower to focus than the other. I still use mine all the time on Olympus and Panasonic bodies.

As for the “L” lenses, most are too big and heavy for my m43 tastes.
05-02-2021, 03:15 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If the 20mm f1.7 is the one you mean there are two versions. One is clunkier and slower to focus than the other. I still use mine all the time on Olympus and Panasonic bodies.

As for the “L” lenses, most are too big and heavy for my m43 tastes.
^^^I was trying to be polite(and likely failed anyway) but yeah, it's all that. --no wait, it;s a great lens, destined for legendary status.
I probably should have saved for the 17mm f1.7 Oly instead. That thing is priced like saffron right now.

Pics follow, I hope. I'm self hosting these days and wrangling IT stuff.
05-02-2021, 03:35 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
^^^I was trying to be polite(and likely failed anyway) but yeah, it's all that. --no wait, it;s a great lens, destined for legendary status.
I probably should have saved for the 17mm f1.7 Oly instead. That thing is priced like saffron right now.

Pics follow, I hope. I'm self hosting these days and wrangling IT stuff.
I actually liked the 17mm f2.8 Olympus. So many skip it it’s usually cheap. I sold it but I regret it.
05-02-2021, 03:42 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The plane! The plane!

Olympus em5-ii 75-300mm x2 digital crop offhand

I put the 2x on the backside lever for quick access to the 2x digital crop. Airliners are at cruising altitude where I live. It reaches right out there! Apologies in advance if this messes up.