Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2021, 10:49 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why are my Canon EOS 40D pictures so red?!

I posted this on the sister Canon forum, but haven't got much there in the way of suggestions/solutions so far. (There was a suggestion that the camera might have been IR-converted, but I doubt that very much.) So, let's give it a try with the expertise here on the Pentax forum.

I was recently given a bunch of cameras by a friend of my wife - they were her late husband's (and state-of-the-art 10 to 15 years ago: Canon EOS 40D, Canon 5D MkII, lots of Canon lenses, Canon G10, and a Sony NEX-7 -- nice haul!!)

About the Canon EOS 40D: After a few rounds of battery charging, I finally got it to take some pictures. But - they are all very, very red. This occurs for both jpg and RAW images.

I (think - navigating the menu system can be confusing) reset the camera to default settings, and the problem persists.

It looks like the gain (or whatever) of the red channel is much too high. There are both green and blue data as well, but the red dominates.

I can sort of get an image to look correct by adjusting colors in PhotoShop Elements / Darktable / RAW Therapee but the results are from from acceptable.

Any ideas what's wrong and/or what to try? If I can't fix it, the camera will go to Ebay as a parts provider.

I have attached a SOC jpg file (of various stuff lying around on my desk) and a file showing a simple attempt to correct the color by using PSE's color fix option.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 40D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 40D  Photo 
04-29-2021, 11:17 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What about the raw files? How do they look?
04-29-2021, 11:28 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Had a Canon point & shoot several years ago and the sensor went on it and all the pictures where a purplish red tone. At about the same time a friend had a different Canon point & shoot and it did the same thing.
04-29-2021, 11:51 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What about the raw files? How do they look?
Just as bad!! So, it's not the conversion to jpg.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mot11 Quote
Had a Canon point & shoot several years ago and the sensor went on it and all the pictures where a purplish red tone. At about the same time a friend had a different Canon point & shoot and it did the same thing.
I'm more suspicious of the internal electronics, since there is some green and blue signal. In any case, though, I suspect this one is toast, too.

04-29-2021, 01:57 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Just as bad!! So, it's not the conversion to jpg.

I'm more suspicious of the internal electronics, since there is some green and blue signal. In any case, though, I suspect this one is toast, too.
Given the raw file color is off - not just the preview jpg - I’d say it’s hosed. I had hoped it was just a wacky jpg profile in a custom setting.
04-29-2021, 03:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
See what happens with a custom white balance. It might be informative.
04-29-2021, 04:00 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
See what happens with a custom white balance. It might be informative.
I've tried various white balances - to no avail. I'll give it one more try (if I can figure out the menus!).