Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-27-2021, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sony ZV-1 - a good and disjunct addition to my Pentax DSLRs

I decided to collect some experience with filming in 4K and synchronise audio from my field recorder via timecode. In addition I looked for a camera with clean HDMI 4K video out. So I bought the extremely small but very capable Sony ZV-1.

It's advertised as a Vlogging camera, doesn't fullfill my demands for having a great photography experience, since it has neither an optical nor an electronic viewfinder, is too small for comfortable handling, has a IMO terrible menu system, 1" sensor. For better handling I added a Smallrigg cage with wooden grip. Looks really cool and now size- and weight wise is very similar to my old Canon Powershot G10.

As advertised the ZV-1 shows great for video capabilities. But I was surprised that it also delivers very good image quality - at least when using my raw converter Capture One Pro.

The sensor delivers 5.472 x 3.648 px (3:2). This is what the specs say and what Capture One Pro exactly delivers. Surprise: the previews of the ARW files show that there are a lot more pixels at the right and left side. In Capture One I can get these pixels when I change crop to "unconstrained". Result: I get 5978 x 3648 px ! That's significantly more and yields to an aspect ratio of around 16:9.76 - really cool.

I checked what I get using Affinity Photo and Raw Therapee.

Affinity Photo delivers 5496 x 3672 px and and Raw Therapee 5488 x 3664 px. So vertically slightly more than Capture One Pro but the additional "landscape pixels" seem not to be available.

I suspect Sony puts a little bit more sensor area at the right and left to optimise panning in video mode, keep crop in 4K relatively small and support a special panorama mode similar what some smartphones support. Seems to be unusual that raws converters can grab these additional pixels.

The ZV-1 can't do what I do with mein Pentax DSLRs and vice versa - so looks like a good and not too expensive addition. Thought that my findings might be interesting for some other Pentax users too.

The same image but different pixel dimensions and aspect ratio:

3:2 - standard size in Capture One Pro

Nearly 16:10 using "unconstrained" crop in Capture One Pro

Last edited by acoufap; 05-27-2021 at 01:25 PM.
05-28-2021, 01:05 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm not sure if anybody is interested in my findings.

But anyway - I asked myself if the 9.4mm (advertised as 24mm ) of the ZV-1 really delivers the same FoV of 24mm on an FF camera.

I did not test it with FF, but threw the KP and DA11-18 @ 16mm into the race and installed the ZV-1 onto the hotshoe of the tripod-mounted KP. Then I took images at different focal lengths with both cameras and compared them in Capture One Pro. Distance to the wall was around 2 meters.

Now I can confirm that for this configuration the images of ZV-1/9.4mm and KP/16mm showed nearly the same horizontal and vertical angle - though significant more distortion visible on the ZV-1 that also may have been the result of slightly tilted down camera.

Since I discovered the extended horizontal area that I can get using Capture One Pro's crop mode "unconstrained", the next question was what angle would this additional area lead to.

Here's the answer. Besides 16 mm I also shot 14 and 12 mm using the KP / DA11-18 combo. Et voila ...

Comparing the shots in Capture One Pro I see that Zsince I discovered the extended horizontal area that I can get using Capture One Pro's crop mode "unconstrained".-1's extended pixel area fits the 14mm horizontal angle of KP plus DA11-18 @ 14mm.

Since vertically no additional pixels are there, the image of the ZV-1 looks like the vertically cropped KP image.

If we crop the images of ZV-1 and KP to an aspect ratio of 16:9 we get the same angles horizontally and vertically - and that's the same we get using a 21mm lens on the K-1 cropped to 16:9. It think that's very interesting.

Here's an "unconstrained" ZV-1 image from today where I corrected perspective and cropped the top a little bit due to composition ...

Last edited by acoufap; 05-28-2021 at 01:17 PM.
02-22-2022, 12:48 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the review! How is the ZV-1 holding up over time?

some pictures seem to have gotten lost in the comparison here.

The "1 inch" sensor format appears to not really be a standard so I can imagine the sensor might be video optimized and then cropped for photos.
02-22-2022, 02:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pimpim Quote
Thanks for the review! How is the ZV-1 holding up over time?

some pictures seem to have gotten lost in the comparison here.

The "1 inch" sensor format appears to not really be a standard so I can imagine the sensor might be video optimized and then cropped for photos.
Infos about the ZV-1 you can find here,

1" is a standard sensor size. Sony sold it also to Canon for at least one compact Powershot camera. Such a sensor also is used in the Ricoh Theta Z. Sony uses the sensor in different other compacts like the RX100 series and RX10. Nikon used it in the Nikon 1 if I remember right. Panasonic Lumix cameras are also available with 1" sensor.

Image quality IMO is very good, video great. But when it gets dim these cameras really cannot compete with my Pentax DSLRs. In general I very much prefer my DSLRs for photography. Size, optical viewfinder, ergonomics, overall capabilities make the process of photography with my Pentax DSLRs a real pleasure - that's what counts besides great image quality.

The ZV-1 is for video including usage as highest quality webcam, it's supporting Timecode via HDMI and I can control via bluetooth (zooming etc.) and when I want to go very compact. It's a much better alternative compared to my phone. If I want to go not too heavy with wide to long reach I sometimes take the ZV-1 plus KP with DA55-300PLM on travel.

More images ...

Last edited by acoufap; 02-22-2022 at 02:23 PM.
02-23-2022, 01:37 AM   #5

ah yes sorry I meant sometimes the "1 inch" is used rather creatively, like when Sony put a large sensor in their smartphone but only used part of the sensor area

Sony Stuffs a 1-Inch Sensor Into a Smartphone, Sort Of | Fstoppers
03-16-2022, 12:28 PM   #6

You better be right, acoufap, I just missed a really good ZV-1 deal but found a second best offering and went for it.
Even basic cameras like the ZV-1 are very hard to find these days.
It's en route now

I figured that it's a nice addition to have something I can always bring along with me and that can do all the things a little bit. From decent photos to movie clips to usage as a webcam.

I have a family with kids now and bringing out a DSLR or mirrorless just is a hassle, already carrying a billion items with me, I miss some moments because of this now.
Also, all other parents use their smartphones so something compact with a screen makes one fit into the setting a bit better.

When I originally looked for a camera I dismissed the ZV-1, because the images are "just ok" but next to a better high-dynamic range camera for the moments where I do have the time to bring along camera gear I think I have a fun rotation.

Also looked at the Canon G7X III because I would have liked the Canon colors better, but Canon being Canon they implemented some things like focus really badly there, apparently made it worse than the G7X II.
03-16-2022, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
bringing out a DSLR or mirrorless just is a hassle, already carrying a billion items with me,
The Sony 1'' series are very good.

My choice now for the compact category.

The ZV1 accessories are vast too, you may not need any but spare batteries are a must.

03-17-2022, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You better be right, acoufap, I just missed a really good ZV-1 deal but found a second best offering and went for it.
Even basic cameras like the ZV-1 are very hard to find these days.
It's en route now

I figured that it's a nice addition to have something I can always bring along with me and that can do all the things a little bit. From decent photos to movie clips to usage as a webcam.

I have a family with kids now and bringing out a DSLR or mirrorless just is a hassle, already carrying a billion items with me, I miss some moments because of this now.
Also, all other parents use their smartphones so something compact with a screen makes one fit into the setting a bit better.

When I originally looked for a camera I dismissed the ZV-1, because the images are "just ok" but next to a better high-dynamic range camera for the moments where I do have the time to bring along camera gear I think I have a fun rotation.

Also looked at the Canon G7X III because I would have liked the Canon colors better, but Canon being Canon they implemented some things like focus really badly there, apparently made it worse than the G7X II.
Congratulations!

If you think about a remote control / table stand for the ZV-1 I’d suggest not to go with the specialized Sony GP-VPT2BT (Bluetooth Grip) option. It’s expensive and the bluetooth remote control is build into this device.

I bought the Sirui 3T-R. Significantly less expensive, well built and the bluetooth remote can be used completely seperate from the stand. In addition a USB/Bluetooth dongle for Sony cameras lacking Bluetooth is included - the ZV-1 works without this. All useful functions are supported: small table stand / stick, small flexible ballhead, bluetooth remote: stills trigger, movie trigger, special function button and of course zooming button.

If you need longer lasting power on the ZV-1 you can attach a Powerbank. For such also a Smallrig cage with dedicated clamp is helpful as support.

I’d say - have fun with your new camera!
03-17-2022, 09:54 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Noting too that Amazon has a few "renewed" ones offered, $800
03-17-2022, 03:32 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Noting too that Amazon has a few "renewed" ones offered, $800
For a few days last month Amazon Germany listed €599 for a new ZV-1, but just as I made up my mind about it the listing was gone.

Now got a open-box return item from Calumet for a bit more than that.

These are crazy times where second hand items often are more expensive than discounted new stock (if you can find new stock in the first place).

---------- Post added 17-03-22 at 15:34 ----------

thanks for all the accessory tips but I will (be trying to) keep it all pocketable
03-22-2022, 04:46 PM   #11

Ok, first day with the ZV-1. It's like the anti-Pentax this little thing - could therefore be a perfect addition.
My main lead to get this was a video by Omar Gonzalez comparing it to a camcorder, and it really works like that, you flip it open and everything is ready to record a video.
Video focus, stability, sound, zebras, all good to go.
The photos are more of fun side feature. I got mine as an open box so maybe someone changed things, but it appears by default it takes 16:9 photos

Thinking like a modern Pentax user (accepting quite a bit of iso noise), what would you use as maximum ISO? I guess 8000 might still work for prints, but I only looked at the screen so far.

The picture profiles also seem mostly a basis for people that grade video, just a bunch of numbered profiles with increasingly lower contrast. Now off to youtube to find the "poor people's cinetone" picture profile recipes to put over one of these

I wonder if I can find some "reversal film" kind of profile recipe for this somewhere.

In the list with toy camera mode etc there is a high detail black and white mode that seems to take 3 pictures and process them in-camera. Maybe interesting for landscapes?
-- which mode did you use for the black and white photos in your post above, acoufap?

---------- Post added 22-03-22 at 16:57 ----------

Some finnicky things:

The SD card slot doesn't seem to be the most robust thing out there, already had to click the card out and in on a few occasions.

I'm in Europe and the camera was set to PAL. I needed to set it to NTSC (which requires wiping the SD card for some odd reason) to get 24p mode. A bit silly for such a modern vlog oriented camera

Last edited by pimpim; 03-22-2022 at 04:59 PM.
03-23-2022, 10:28 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I guess 8000 might still work for prints, but I only looked at the screen so far.
I wouldn't go higher than let's say 800 if printing is the goal. Of course depends on other parameters like scenery and target printing size. If you only create internet images at small size you of course can go higher.

wonder if I can find some "reversal film" kind of profile recipe for this somewhere.
I'd like to recommend shooting raw and learning how color models and your software works. Try developing your own "profiles" if you like. Doing it yourself can be very satisfying because you can learn and discover a lot - you're going to be the master in the ring, not someone else's standard profile. I know, not everybody likes to go this harder way - depends on your personality ... I'd like to encourage you to try it.

which mode did you use for the black and white photos in your post above, acoufap?
I always shoot raw - independently from the camera I use. Started this with my old Canon Powershot G10 nearly one and a half decade ago. So these black & white images are "handmade" using capture one pro tools.

Shooting raw is the save way to deal with not perfectly chosen exposures and critical light conditions. In post I like to experience how I have to work at my captures to get what I imagine. Rastergraphics I generate depending on presentation target and size. For every target I have or build a fitting development recipe, by example for Pentax Forums small jpegs (longer side 900px), for iPad (1920px longer side) or fine art printing 16 bit tiff files depending on traget printing size and chosen ppi resolution.

I'm in Europe and the camera was set to PAL. I needed to set it to NTSC (which requires wiping the SD card for some odd reason) to get 24p mode.
There's a reason why it can be a must to capture movies in PAL setting. The moment you are in a room with standard artificial lighting, shooting in a NTSC setting in Europe can yield extreme flickering so that your capture might be ruined. Happened to me when I captured a movie in a sports hall in Munich. So in these cases I highly recommend shooting in a PAL setting i.e. 25p, 50p etc. - it has to be a a multiple of the local ac (alternating current) frequency and that is 50 in most Europe countries like Germany.

If you shoot in natural light and for presentation in the internet or directly on your computer, you can shoot in whatever mode you like.

Last edited by acoufap; 03-23-2022 at 10:49 AM.
03-29-2022, 02:41 AM   #13

so, one week update:

Because all the buttons are at the same spot, just handling the camera when taking family snapshots means random settings constantly change because of involuntary button presses.
for example: ISO set at 12800 all of a sudden, 10s timer mode on, it gets into an AF mode that does ... something ... etc etc.

Despite the sensor being fairly modern, the reduction in dynamic range compared to an APS-C Pentax is very apparent.
But it does catch just enough light to take relatively high shutter speed indoor shots to compete with a modern smartphone.

Due to the kids taking up a lot of time I want to avoid fixing too much in RAW, so I just set exposure bracketing which quickly takes 9 pictures at 0.3 ev difference, and throw away the ones I don't like, though bracketing means I cannot use picture profiles anymore. (luckily the menu explains which functions are incompatible). Speaking about picture profiles, I think I will not quickly become a big fan of Sony colors but oh well.

I think that if you just see this as a tiny camcorder / snapshot camera that can deliver high quality images and fits in a jacket or even a medium sized front trouser pocket, it's very fun and fast and always on you.
03-31-2022, 07:27 AM   #14

some more experiences:

- it apparently takes vertical video (I know, desperate times require desperate measures), but the LCD doesn't rotate along to let you know you are in vertical mode. Considering how my K5 can do this in stills mode, the ZV-1 should have had this

- for a camera that has a specially developed microphone it transmits an awful lot of handling noise. Would have expected more isolation there

- I had expected an easier time with the sensor. It gets a nice image at iso 125, but as acoufap says, above 800 or so it becomes more difficult - all the way up to the common Sony green skin effect at certain light/iso situations I would really advice anyone against buying the RX100s and RX10s before it, just not worth the money for what you get sensor-wise. It appears the new sensor in the RX100VII is even worse rendering-wise Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 VII sensor review - The main selling point of these things is really a compact snap-shooter with blazing fast AF in quick situations, and a machine that can make a photo and video (decently rendered or not) in all situations, at the expense of almost everything else. And it seems that the newer sensors actually go more in that direction as well. I would say it is not a clear cut matter whether this approach is really worth the $800 for the ZV-1, let alone $1100 for the latest RX100, or even more for the RX10. Of all Sony's 1 inch offerings I bet the ZV-1 makes the most sense because at least it has a lot of video options.

- The ClearView zoom is not great in photo mode, and only barely acceptable in video mode. They might as well have skipped the effort. Also silly: camera language was set in other language than English and then they translated "Clearview" as well, so it took a while to find it.

- a common complaint that I knew before buying: stabilization is not super. Will see if I can work on my technique instead of buying add-ons to help here.

Last edited by pimpim; 04-03-2022 at 06:55 AM.
04-03-2022, 04:47 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's very clear that the ergonomics of the ZV-1 are not made for photographers. Years ago I held a Pentax Q in hands and I thought it definitely was also too tiny and without viewfinder not made for me. The tiny buttons of the ZV-1 simply are a torture.

My already mentioned Canon Powershot G10's physical controls are significantly better.This camera is dedicated to serious photographers who wanted a small good body with controls photographers need. - I don't talk of snap shooter, they need all-in auto modes.

Comparison images

The ZV-1 offers all needed functions for photographers but there's only a minimum of physical controls. So no real fun for photographers using these functions. It's made for video use - video blogging and such and auto modes but photo results are really good IMO. The ZV-1 even supports Timecode via HDMI-out. I don't know any other camera in that price range (I payed 600,- € new, Foto Koch) that offers this.

Last edited by acoufap; 04-03-2022 at 06:09 AM.