Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2021, 08:46 AM - 8 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Unboxing: Polaroid Now Mandalorian edition

Hello,

My loving sisters got me this for my birthday: A Polaroid Now Mandalorian edition instant camera.
As a kid in the late 70's early 80's I remember a white Polaroid One step we had at home. I have a few very old Polaroids in my collection including an SX-70 that needs some attention.
But anyways, since it is my birthday I'll do whatever I want and I wanted to do unboxing pictures instead of working today

Love it!

This camera is based on the current Polaroid One Step 2, a modern retro looking interpretation of the classic One Step Polaroid of the late 70's. One big change is that the original had the batteries in the film cartridge. This one has internal rechargeable battery via USB port. In theory this should make the cartridges less expensive (yeah right!). It also has a self timer. Interestingly, this special edition has no tripod socket like the regular. Go figure.

From what I have seen in online reviews, the image quality is superior to the old ones. So I'll let you know later today or tomorrow when I take it out.

One more thing: At the bottom it has an engraved quote from Edwin Land: "An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail" Edwin Land

Thanks,

06-16-2021, 09:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very cool! Let us know how it goes.

PS - At least you don't have to restore this one
06-16-2021, 09:20 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool! FWIW, I have a white "One Step" in excellent condition in the closet.

Steve
06-16-2021, 09:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice! I have the OneStep 2, I found the color i-type film I used to be very hit or miss, but the B&W is actually really good looking, I recommend it.

06-16-2021, 09:56 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Wow, that looks great! Did not know this was available.
06-16-2021, 06:24 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

Busy day so not much testing. However, nothing better than a nice dinner with family.
Masks off only to eat and for the pictures.
As expected, dynamic range is somewhat limited.
Will try to get some landscapes in the next few days.

Just having fun.

Thanks,
Ismael
06-16-2021, 09:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

Busy day so not much testing. However, nothing better than a nice dinner with family.
Masks off only to eat and for the pictures.
As expected, dynamic range is somewhat limited.
Will try to get some landscapes in the next few days.

Just having fun.

Thanks,
Ismael
Cool! Didn't know the film has Star Wars borders. Can more be purchased or is only standard film available?

Thanks for sharing and have fun,
barondla

06-16-2021, 11:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Should be ideal for Child photography!
06-17-2021, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Cool! Didn't know the film has Star Wars borders. Can more be purchased or is only standard film available?

Thanks for sharing and have fun,
barondla
Hello,

Yes, it uses regular i-Type Polaroid film. This one is a special edition film pack with the Star Wars theme. I think there may other special editions film packs available.
I want to try the B&W regular film.

Thanks,
Ismael
06-20-2021, 07:27 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

Stopped on my favorite spot (Salto Collazo waterfall) on Friday (top left) and again Sunday 6/20/2021 (the other 3) on my way back home.

Let's just say this would not be my first choice for a landscape camera

Top right image: I have no idea what happened. I did nothing different but it failed to develop properly.

I think this is the best one:

While not exactly a serious field landscape camera it is fun. It also generates curiosity, comments and questions when people see it.

Thanks,
Ismael
06-20-2021, 07:35 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sometimes the emulsion just doesn't work properly, mainly due to manufacturing faults. You can never quite figure on an image coming out 100% - so it pays to like unpredictable wabi-sabi.
06-20-2021, 11:08 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"And I wanted to do unboxing pictures instead of working today".
This is the way.

The camera's body actually looks pretty cool with those colors... and although the film has the usual limitations I find that they look cool for family stuff, honestly. Thanks for sharing!
06-21-2021, 02:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Nice to see a post about a Polaroid instant especially after I've just had my old 635CL out at the weekend! So true about the emulsion dice roll- they do look great when it develops right and the stars align Great birthday gift
06-22-2021, 09:39 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also, the Epson flatbeds work pretty well for digitizing your results when you want.
12-07-2021, 08:48 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I just got a Polaroid Go mini camera. It's a TINY copy of that, and supremely compact and pocketable. I can't wait to try it out!

Charles.