Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2021, 12:41 PM   #181
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
About a year ago, I personally saw a thread - at a "generic" {not brand specific} photo discussion forum - started by a Nikon user who was wondering why the "FX" lens he purchased would not AF on the "Z" camera he purchased at the same time. He was not "whining", at least, not at first. He may be the only one caught up by this situation, but it was not what he expected. I noted this situation, and wondered whether this situation has affected Nikon sales. I was just wondering. Punct.

In general, I have made favorable comments about the "Z" line.

BTW - After responding to your comment about my Pentax KP - which has proven itself to have very fine high ISO performance, I am still waiting to hear which Pentax camera(s) you use regularly.
Ok so you saw one of the five people who want it.

I love that you threw in a KP pitch in your response though! It's just amusing you mention it in almost every post. It is similar to Jay Leno mentioning his McLaren -- it becomes a fun game of spot the McLaren mention in his youtube videos.

08-25-2021, 01:00 PM   #182
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Ok so you saw one of the five people who want it.

I love that you threw in a KP pitch in your response though! It's just amusing you mention it in almost every post. It is similar to Jay Leno mentioning his McLaren -- it becomes a fun game of spot the McLaren mention in his youtube videos.
Actually, I just read the thread. Others explained the situation, so I had no reason to make a comment.

I had no reason to mention the Pentax KP to him, even though others have seen very good results from it.
Pentax KP First Shots: Going head-to-head against the Nikon D500 at ISO 819,200!

I am still waiting to hear why you are so involved in this Pentax Forum.
Please excuse my thinking you are a "Pentaxian".
08-25-2021, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #183
mee
Veteran Member

Actually, I just read the thread. Others explained the situation, so I had no reason to make a comment.

I had no reason to mention the Pentax KP to him, even though others have seen very good results from it.
Pentax KP First Shots: Going head-to-head against the Nikon D500 at ISO 819,200!

I am still waiting to hear why you are so involved in this Pentax Forum.
Please excuse my thinking you are a "Pentaxian".
Because you'd miss me if I left!

There are no ownership dues to be here. And, besides, we're in the Non-Pentax Camera forum on a Non-Pentax Camera thread anyways!

Edit: That said, I still own several PK lenses I adapt on my Nikon mirrorless. I find it works very well. If you're interested please let me know.

Last edited by mee; 08-25-2021 at 01:23 PM.
08-25-2021, 09:15 PM   #184
Pentaxian

That said, I still own several PK lenses I adapt on my Nikon mirrorless. I find it works very well. If you're interested please let me know.
In the Spring of 1995, I had been using my "Super Program" for about twelve years.
I had become very fond of that camera body, but when I decided I wanted to go auto focus, the two 'finalists' of my research were a Canon "EOS Elan" and a Nikon "N7007".
I decided I absolutely loved Canon's quiet EF/usb lenses, so the choice was easy.
I used that "Elan" system for over eleven years, but by the time you joined here, I was using a Canon Digital Rebel system.
During your first five years as a member, I had two Digital Rebel systems die completely, so I although I did keep a couple of lenses, I purchased a used K-30 from KEH.
I learned my lesson - as long as Pentax bodies are available, I will use them.
So, that would be a "No, thank you".

08-26-2021, 10:18 PM - 2 Likes   #185
Veteran Member

Agreed.

And thats an interesting product, but it is bulky and relatively expensive. The Sony adapter LA-EA4 (that supports screwdrive) is similar in size and cost. And what do I read on Sony forums? "Why is it so expensive?" and "Ah it is too big and bulky!"

I think Nikon wants to sell new lenses, which is where most of the money seems to be. Offering them a one-off purchase isn't going to do much for them and they know it. Plus, as mentioned, extremely few people really care about this. The reasons can be argued, but there just doesn't seem to be a lot of interest on it. I'm sure if Nikon thought they could make a lot of money on it, it would be higher on the list.

That said, the newer Z lenses are PHENOMENAL. I started selling several of my F mount lenses once I got my first S series lens and saw just how above and beyond they are.

So I'd use Z lenses (or newer F adapted with FTZ) for more formal shooting and just run manual focus with an adapter for pleasure. And it's such a cinch, as you know, to focus with the EVF manually that it is a pleasure indeed.

I suspect this is, at least in part, why there isn't a lot of chatter online about it (comparatively). It's just a few people that are stuck with old lenses and don't want to give them up are upset they won't be fully supported for another 6 decades on a mirrorless system they don't intend to use.
I have the 24-200 and 35/85 S 1.8s in Z they’re all excellent and I do want more of them. I love that they weather seal everything. Nikon probably has the highest image quality going right now with the Z glass. Z5, it’s such a good combo with the 24-200 and underrated IMO, no regrets not spending nearly double for the z6ii.
08-27-2021, 08:05 AM - 2 Likes   #186
Pentaxian

I think Nikon wants to sell new lenses, which is where most of the money seems to be. Offering them a one-off purchase isn't going to do much for them and they know it.

That said, the newer Z lenses are PHENOMENAL. I started selling several of my F mount lenses once I got my first S series lens and saw just how above and beyond they are.
Of course Nikon want to sell lenses, as does everyone else, but the using-non-native-lens part of the equation is not to be ignored, especially for Nikon. If someone moves from DSLR to mirrorless then the only practical thing keeping them using the same brand is their ability to use the lenses they already have. Not providing for that will result in a certain percentage thinking they might as well go to Sony or Canon or Panasonic, and they'll be right. Obviously I'm not in that boat as, as far as Nikon's concerned, I just shoot some film for fun.

As usual with trolls, anyone not in complete agreement with them is "whining".
08-27-2021, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #187
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Of course Nikon want to sell lenses, as does everyone else, but the using-non-native-lens part of the equation is not to be ignored, especially for Nikon. If someone moves from DSLR to mirrorless then the only practical thing keeping them using the same brand is their ability to use the lenses they already have. Not providing for that will result in a certain percentage thinking they might as well go to Sony or Canon or Panasonic, and they'll be right. Obviously I'm not in that boat as, as far as Nikon's concerned, I just shoot some film for fun.

As usual with trolls, anyone not in complete agreement with them is "whining".
No, that's not a troll. And you should be careful with using epithets.

But the fact is there are extremely few people discussing the lack of a screwdrive adapter for Nikon mirrorless. It happens, but it's rather rare compared to the vast number of other threads out there about the mirrorless system.

I think that is mainly because of what I've already stated -- Nikon began putting motors in the lenses in the early 1990s. And there are only a handful of lenses on the retail market sold as new that do not have a focus motor in them. The majority of people (spending money) don't seem to actively use those. It's a non-issue for most.

I'm sure there is a number that do. But if the number is large then they are just very quiet on it. I don't think that's the case.

Again you'd want Nikon to spend precious resources on R&D and a new SKU for this item that few people seem to want, all to cater to a handful of people that don't seem to want to spend it on new lenses. It's a poor business proposition. Nikon, and frankly all manufacturers, isn't after the budget minded these days as the photography market is becoming smaller and increasingly more premium. They have bigger fish to fry right now.

Maybe when they release their FF retro mirrorless they will consider the screwdriven adapter? But I frankly doubt it. I suspect it will be many many years, if ever, before they release one.

This is all academic though since all of you arguing for it don't even own or want to own a Nikon mirrorless it seems.

08-27-2021, 09:16 PM   #188
Pentaxian

No, that's not a troll. And you should be careful with using epithets.

But the fact is there are extremely few people discussing the lack of a screwdrive adapter for Nikon mirrorless.
It happens, but it's rather rare compared to the vast number of other threads out there about the mirrorless system.

I think that is mainly because of what I've already stated -- Nikon began putting motors in the lenses in the early 1990s. And there are only a handful of lenses on the retail market sold as new that do not have a focus motor in them. The majority of people (spending money) don't seem to actively use those. It's a non-issue for most.

I'm sure there is a number that do. But if the number is large then they are just very quiet on it. I don't think that's the case.

Again you'd want Nikon to spend precious resources on R&D and a new SKU for this item that few people seem to want, all to cater to a handful of people that don't seem to want to spend it on new lenses. It's a poor business proposition. Nikon, and frankly all manufacturers, isn't after the budget minded these days as the photography market is becoming smaller and increasingly more premium. They have bigger fish to fry right now.

Maybe when they release their FF retro mirrorless they will consider the screwdriven adapter? But I frankly doubt it. I suspect it will be many many years, if ever, before they release one.

This is all academic though since all of you arguing for it don't even own or want to own a Nikon mirrorless it seems.
A strange reply considering he said nothing about screw-drive.
He talked only about using the DSLR lenses one already has.
Right now, you are the only one talking {and talking} about screw-drive.
08-27-2021, 11:00 PM - 1 Like   #189
Pentaxian

Because you'd miss me if I left!
Would we ?
08-28-2021, 12:33 PM   #190
mee
Veteran Member

A strange reply considering he said nothing about screw-drive.
He talked only about using the DSLR lenses one already has.
Right now, you are the only one talking {and talking} about screw-drive.
Now you're just being dishonest. The entire discussion in the past 2 pages has been around your (and maybe others?) dissatisfaction that a company has a product line that, you don't use nor will ever use, doesn't support the aging lenses (that they largely don't even sell today) from the product line you don't use on their latest product line.

The DSLR lenses in question are the screwdriven lenses in conjunction with the adapter. Because the rest of the DSLR lenses are fully supported with the adapter.

If you're going to speak up at least do better than that.
08-28-2021, 12:34 PM   #191
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Would we ?
No, of course not. It was sarcasm.
08-28-2021, 01:23 PM   #192
Pentaxian

Now you're just being dishonest. The entire discussion in the past 2 pages has been around your (and maybe others?) dissatisfaction that a company has a product line that, you don't use nor will ever use, doesn't support the aging lenses (that they largely don't even sell today) from the product line you don't use on their latest product line.

The DSLR lenses in question are the screwdriven lenses in conjunction with the adapter. Because the rest of the DSLR lenses are fully supported with the adapter.

If you're going to speak up at least do better than that.
I don't know how well the Nikon screw-drive lenses sell today.
I do know that I purchased a Sigma-built K-mount one from B&H about six years ago - because I don't use F-mount, but I do use K-mount.
I do know that B&H still offers a few screw-drive F-mount lenses today,
I do know that a person could purchase a screw-drive F-mount lens today, and I suspect nobody would do anything to prevent him.
Nikon no longer maintains compatibility with their old lenses in the sense that you cannot use them full-function on their MILCs.

Your reply had nothing to do with what it was allegedly responding to, because he specifically did not refer to screw-drive.
You cannot continue to argue with what I said yesterday by pretending to reply to what someone else says today.

That is the honest truth.
08-28-2021, 02:40 PM   #193
mee
Veteran Member

I don't know how well the Nikon screw-drive lenses sell today.
I do know that I purchased a Sigma-built K-mount one from B&H about six years ago - because I don't use F-mount, but I do use K-mount.
I do know that B&H still offers a few screw-drive F-mount lenses today,
I do know that a person could purchase a screw-drive F-mount lens today, and I suspect nobody would do anything to prevent him.
Nikon no longer maintains compatibility with their old lenses in the sense that you cannot use them full-function on their MILCs.

No one reasonable is buying D series on retail and expecting it to work with their mirrorless FTZ fully.

And there are several generations of F mount in-lens AF lenses (hundreds), so many of what is considered legacy lenses have full compatibility to the FTZ adapter. No one realistically is that bent out of shape that their 100 dollar 50 f/1.8 D isn't fully supported. Most upgraded decades ago to the G series, the S series, a 3rd party, or are willing to do so if they want AF on the mirrorless body. Otherwise, manual focus is a lot more feasible on a mirrorless so either way they're set.

Your notion that Nikon should put support for these old screwdriven lenses, that the budget minded few want (again very few from the lack of threads arguing for this), ahead of other more pressing decisions is not realistic on your part.

Maybe they'll (or someone else) will release a screwdriving adapter one day. But I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

Your reply had nothing to do with what it was allegedly responding to, because he specifically did not refer to screw-drive.
You cannot continue to argue with what I said yesterday by pretending to reply to what someone else says today.

That is the honest truth.
Context clues will inform you that is what we were discussing though. Because the opposite is to argue about lenses already supported by the adapter. And that wouldn't make sense.

Last edited by mee; 08-28-2021 at 02:47 PM.
08-28-2021, 02:56 PM   #194
Pentaxian

No one reasonable is buying D series on retail and expecting it to work with their mirrorless FTZ fully.

And there are several generations of F mount in-lens AF lenses (hundreds), so many of what is considered legacy lenses have full compatibility to the FTZ adapter. No one realistically is that bent out of shape that their 100 dollar 50 f/1.8 D isn't fully supported. Most upgraded decades ago to the G series, the S series, a 3rd party, or are willing to do so if they want AF on the mirrorless body. Otherwise, manual focus is a lot more feasible on a mirrorless so either way they're set.

Your notion that Nikon should put support for these old screwdriven lenses, that the budget minded few want (again very few from the lack of threads arguing for this), ahead of other more pressing decisions is not realistic on your part.

Maybe they'll (or someone else) will release a screwdriving adapter one day. But I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

Context clues will inform you that is what we were discussing though. Because the opposite is to argue about lenses already supported by the adapter. And that wouldn't make sense.
Context clues have no meaning when the words are there directly.
You may argue however you want to - silly as it may be.

I merely suggested that the terminology used by Nikon, and the dependence of long-time Nikon users on the consistency of their long-time compatibility may be working against them now.
I still believe that.
You may believe however you want to, but I will not continue to discuss that.
I still believe you should directly address issues raised by others, but you may blather as you wish.
08-28-2021, 03:49 PM   #195
mee
Veteran Member

Context clues have no meaning when the words are there directly.
You may argue however you want to - silly as it may be.

I merely suggested that the terminology used by Nikon, and the dependence of long-time Nikon users on the consistency of their long-time compatibility may be working against them now.
I still believe that.
You may believe however you want to, but I will not continue to discuss that.
I still believe you should directly address issues raised by others, but you may blather as you wish.
I did. You then butted in to respond to me about my response to someone else (Jonathan Mac) that you didn't like. So I'm not sure what your point is at this.. point.