Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2021, 12:44 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Best Full Frame Landscape Camera – Sony a7R IV vs. Nikon Z7 II who wins?

After giving it a short and long thought, whether my choice fit amazon business or not, I voted for the Pentax K1 as best landscape camera

07-25-2021, 12:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about no thought - oops, the K-1 wins again
07-25-2021, 01:16 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In their opinion. I assumed both of these had the 45 MP sensor, so the D850 is a competitor and should be in there too? (Sony has 60MP)
07-25-2021, 01:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For landscapes specifically I think the K-1 still compares nicely. Pretty much all the ergonomic points they touched on I would give the K-1 the win still. It's lower resolution, but looking on DPReviews Exposure Latitude comparison tool it looks like it does very well in that respect.

Conclusion? I'm glad I bought a K-1 recently

07-25-2021, 02:53 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SelrahCharleS Quote
For landscapes specifically I think the K-1 still compares nicely. Pretty much all the ergonomic points they touched on I would give the K-1 the win still. It's lower resolution, but looking on DPReviews Exposure Latitude comparison tool it looks like it does very well in that respect.

Conclusion? I'm glad I bought a K-1 recently
Personally I dislike a fully articulating screen and prefer the simple tilt screens. However the k-1 screen is a real hybrid of these and adds flexibility without being cumbersome. So on that point the k-1 wins.

Lcd resolution? Nikon probably still wins the category.

EVF… well this one gets weird. The optical viewfinder is very detailed but you can’t get exposure preview and you can’t magnify your image for fine focus and might need to use the back lcd. Sony probably wins this if EVF is acceptable - some people won’t be willing to use ovf, some won’t use EVF. Tie.

Dynamic range? The cameras are quite similar, The k1 on photos to photos lags the Nikon and Sony by 0.2 stops. The k1ii is equal to both roughly. Both Pentax and Sony exceed the Nikon at iso 100. The Pentax k1ii starts to pull away around iso 650 due to the accelerator. Photos to photos numbers don’t show any advantage to your Nikon over Sony and little between any of these cameras. Tie.

Weight. The 15-30 plus k1 is the heaviest. In their criteria that’s not going to win, but heavier potentially means more stability. This category seems lame it has more meaning in action or travel photography.

Lens choice, like Nikon, pretty small variety in the wide angle pro zooms. Winner Sony by their criteria. Tough call however given the variety of lenses you can use.

In the end I’d say that it is a wash. Any of these will take fine photos.
07-25-2021, 03:03 PM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Any of these will take fine photos.
exactly... is there a 'bad' camera being sold today?
07-25-2021, 03:18 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
Not really. We are down to arguing minutia. And someone who has invested the time to really learn one camera body can overcome minutia quite easily.

Find the camera you are comfortable with and practice/learn/study/experiment with it and you will be head and shoulders above someone who is constantly switching gear to have the 'best'.

07-25-2021, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I'm sure you could dig up some if you really look, but I feel like there haven't really been 'bad' cameras sold in the last 10 years or so. There is nothing I would count as major flaws of the K5-IIs I have (or K-50 for that matter, at least until I get an aperture block failure). Image quality hit "good enough" for almost every case with the 16MP sensor that was common in cameras at the time, and cameras of that era are responsive enough that they aren't frustrating to use.

I only picked up a K-1 because of GAS, and what I considered a good price. Not out of any real issues with my previous cameras. I suppose that camera is considered old now too.

I feel like part of the decline of the photo industry is just that cameras have been "good enough" since that era, and the manufacturers aren't leapfrogging each other every 12-18 months like the early days of digital.
07-25-2021, 03:38 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
After giving it a short and long thought, whether my choice fit amazon business or not, I voted for the Pentax K1 as best landscape camera
Is there an option to vote somewhere? I assume not, since you could choose the K-1...
07-25-2021, 06:35 PM   #10
Closed Account

Landscape camera

The K1 II fits all the boxes for landscapes, for a fraction of the price of the competition... Even sports photography with the newer AF functions is up there, finally...
07-26-2021, 01:58 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Is there an option to vote somewhere? I assume not, since you could choose the K-1...
My post has a bit a sarcasm into it and somehow made me smile, since the video offers two choice only while there would be quite a few other choices equally good (or even better, with features such a pixel shift and gps tagging) for landscape photography. The video sounds like it's aimed at pushing sales of two specific camera models. Such video tells me "warning, not to buy", so it doesn't work on me as intended by the editor.
07-26-2021, 03:00 AM   #12
Pentaxian

My post has a bit a sarcasm into it and somehow made me smile, since the video offers two choice only while there would be quite a few other choices equally good (or even better, with features such a pixel shift and gps tagging) for landscape photography. The video sounds like it's aimed at pushing sales of two specific camera models. Such video tells me "warning, not to buy", so it doesn't work on me as intended by the editor.
So was mine
I'm not entirely against such versus videos, but when they start BS like "find out which one is best for you"... that isn't offering me a choice. They do this a lot.
To be fair, perhaps some people want to be told what to buy, and easy to read numbers assigned to each camera...
07-26-2021, 10:32 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Best Full Frame Landscape Camera – Sony a7R IV vs. Nikon Z7 II who wins?
Good question.

My answer..is...drum roll...the Pentax K1 or K1 ll.
07-26-2021, 12:49 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
So was mine
I'm not entirely against such versus videos, but when they start BS like "find out which one is best for you"... that isn't offering me a choice. They do this a lot.
To be fair, perhaps some people want to be told what to buy, and easy to read numbers assigned to each camera...
They paid a little bit of lip service to the ideas of what factors were that went into the outcome of the video and I think anyone who wanted could take that and use it to help them decide if these cameras were on their short list. Don't be too hard - after all the content is not something people are paying for... with more than their time and data.

By extension you can add your own cameras into the mix and draw your own conclusions. The biggest value is in seeing into the team's views and what factors that they considered. This helps understand the ratings and implications.
07-26-2021, 01:03 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Neither of them win. The Pentax 645D wins, hands down, for best landscape camera.

Oh, the reviewer wanted full frame 35mm and cheap? In that case it's a Nikon F5/F6 or Pentax MZ-S/LX plus Fuji Velvia slide film that wins, hands down, for best landscape camera.

Last edited by tranq78; 07-27-2021 at 10:37 AM.