Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
07-26-2021, 08:32 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sony A7R III question

I'm not a Sony guy but if an ad I'm looking at is legit, I might be. Found a locally advertised Sony A7R III w/ 24-70mm for very cheap. It's been posed for a few weeks but the guy just got back with me and said it's still available. I'm researching the model but also thought I'd post here. Other than the 'star eater' issue several Sonys have, is there anything model specific to watch out for?

07-26-2021, 09:51 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cdd29 Quote
I'm not a Sony guy but if an ad I'm looking at is legit, I might be. Found a locally advertised Sony A7R III w/ 24-70mm for very cheap. It's been posed for a few weeks but the guy just got back with me and said it's still available. I'm researching the model but also thought I'd post here. Other than the 'star eater' issue several Sonys have, is there anything model specific to watch out for?
No gotcha’s on that model I know of - I owned the A7R2 previously and I now have an A7R3. There are common scams with “local” items that end up not being legit. Be careful.
07-26-2021, 11:23 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Waiting to hear the reply but 99% sure this is a scam. Note the bad punctuation and misplaced $

Hi there,My name is Stephanie and i am the owner of the NEW Sony A7R3 Digital SLR Camera plus lens posted for 800$. Please let me know if you are still interested in buying it.
Thank you!
07-26-2021, 12:18 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Waiting to hear the reply but 99% sure this is a scam. Note the bad punctuation and misplaced $

Hi there,My name is Stephanie and i am the owner of the NEW Sony A7R3 Digital SLR Camera plus lens posted for 800$. Please let me know if you are still interested in buying it.
Thank you!
If it smells like a fish, it's a rotten fish.

I'll bet she wants to switch this from physical to mail delivery.

07-26-2021, 10:05 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Never heard back from her, which is probably good. As the old saying goes if it seems to good to be true it probably is.
07-27-2021, 05:37 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you!
Most definitely a scam. I see similar ads on Ebay every day. Normally the bogus ad is reported and fairly quickly taken down by Ebay.
07-27-2021, 07:52 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now they're saying it's listed on ebay and will send me a link. This should be interesting. Grab the popcorn.

07-27-2021, 08:54 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want to use it for advanced 4K video shooting this could be interesting to know …
07-27-2021, 10:52 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm not real sure what to do. They sent me a ebay link. Seller has 100% feedback going back into the 90's, though there hasn't been any selling activity for several years. The email domain she used is listed as air force, but it's not the official AF domain name. I even called the closest air base and they don't have her listed (though she may not necessarily be stationed there either.) On one had I would be covered by ebay & paypal if it is a scam but I also don't want to go through the hassle.
07-27-2021, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not real sure what to do. They sent me a ebay link. Seller has 100% feedback going back into the 90's, though there hasn't been any selling activity for several years. The email domain she used is listed as air force, but it's not the official AF domain name. I even called the closest air base and they don't have her listed (though she may not necessarily be stationed there either.) On one had I would be covered by ebay & paypal if it is a scam but I also don't want to go through the hassle.
Sounds to me like someone got stolen credentials/guessed password of an eBay account with good feedback and are trying to capitalize on that. Almost certainly not worth the hassle.
07-27-2021, 01:10 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
confirmed scam, though an elaborate one (no I didn't fall for it).
07-27-2021, 07:50 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

confirmed scam, though an elaborate one (no I didn't fall for it).
What was the final confirmation?
07-27-2021, 08:20 PM - 4 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Many things. The site she sent me to had no working features, had my email name rather than my ebay handle listed. The URL didn't look right. I went to ebay from my link where all my stuff displays (didn't on her link) and did a search for the camera, not found. I emailed her with two other email address I have and she sent me the exact same thing., yet another red flag. Another big give away was the military domain she was using (which was wrong to begin with) and where she claimed to work. I called the nearest base and they didn't have her on record. The fake ebay site she sent me to was the final giveaway. I emailed her something stupid like rather than pay her in cash I would rather trade a vat of potato salad for it. I don't expect to hear anything back.
07-27-2021, 08:23 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Many things. The site she sent me to had no working features, had my email name rather than my ebay handle listed. The URL didn't look right. I went to ebay from my link where all my stuff displays (didn't on her link) and did a search for the camera, not found. I emailed her with two other email address I have and she sent me the exact same thing., yet another red flag. Another big give away was the military domain she was using (which was wrong to begin with) and where she claimed to work. I called the nearest base and they didn't have her on record. The fake ebay site she sent me to was the final giveaway. I emailed her something stupid like rather than pay her in cash I would rather trade a vat of potato salad for it. I don't expect to hear anything back.
A lifetime supply of potato salad made by your mom. Reveal at the end that you are 12. Snickering.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 07-28-2021 at 07:09 PM.
07-28-2021, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
hmmm. looks familiar (same phone listed as the ad in the Indy CL I found)

Sony * Alpha A7R III * - USA version // lens included - photo/video...