Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2021, 06:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was told to butcher a Super Takumar 1.4 8 element lens.

Hoping someone can help.

I have purchased my first Takumar lens. It’s a Super Takumar 50mm 1.4, 8 element version. It should be here in next few days. I am currently looking for an M42 to Sony E mount for this lens. I’ve read that this can be a tricky thing to work out. A gentleman in a local camera shop has recommended I cut of an protruding tab that prevents it from work with my current K&F adapter.

I definitely do not want to go that route. Can anyone recommend an adapter that they know works. I’m also a little fuzzy on the whole flange no flange issue when it comes to adapters and what the reasons for needing a flange are. So any help their would be appreciated.

Thanks
Russ.

09-06-2021, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pictures might help.
09-06-2021, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rk1972 Quote
A gentleman in a local camera shop has recommended I cut of an protruding tab that prevents it from work with my current K&F adapter.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

I am wondering what manner of protruding tab might they be referring to? The eight-element version has the usual stop-down pin and A/M switch as the seven-element version and a majority of other M42 lenses. As noted above, additional information might be helpful. The K&F adapter model might be a good starting place.

Steve
09-06-2021, 08:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
From what I was told and what over read here and on other forums it’s more a pin that gets pushed in so you can use the aperture control on the lens. When the lens arrives I’ll take some pictures.

09-06-2021, 10:09 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Butchering an 8-element Super-Takumar 50/1.4 is a cardinal sin leading to banishment from anything Pentax related. Take no heed of what you were told.
09-06-2021, 10:43 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some adapted lenses hit the mirror on some canon models. The lens with adapter will be 45.6mm off the sensor with no mirror inbetween on sony.
If it has the pin it needs to be stuck in or the adapter needs the internal flange to push against the pin.
09-07-2021, 12:17 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

The pin should not be a problem. The lens has auto/man switch and allows for manual stop down of aperture without engaging the pin. Also the pin itself should not interfere with anything on a Sony E camera, nor with the adapter itself.

Maybe you have an adapter with additional flange, that is supposed to push the pin all the way when the lens is screwed into it. These kind of adapters assume the stop down pin on each lens is the same length, which is not true; it may leave a pin pushed into the lens only partially. I'd recommend an adapter without a flange, if that's the case.

09-07-2021, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

As above, and I know the NEX to M42 K&F adapter is fine for M42 lenses with a push-down tab for aperture control (from experience).
09-07-2021, 02:39 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rk1972 Quote
Hoping someone can help.

I have purchased my first Takumar lens. It’s a Super Takumar 50mm 1.4, 8 element version. It should be here in next few days. I am currently looking for an M42 to Sony E mount for this lens. I’ve read that this can be a tricky thing to work out. A gentleman in a local camera shop has recommended I cut of an protruding tab that prevents it from work with my current K&F adapter.

I definitely do not want to go that route. Can anyone recommend an adapter that they know works. I’m also a little fuzzy on the whole flange no flange issue when it comes to adapters and what the reasons for needing a flange are. So any help their would be appreciated.

Thanks
Russ.
Pictures showing what you were told would definitely help.

The pin is spring-loaded, and if the adapter manufacturer thinks it would be in the way should be pushed out of the way.
I personally own both seven-element and eight-element versions of the lens, and I cannot think of any reason for butchering the lens.
09-07-2021, 04:36 AM - 2 Likes   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
The pin should not be a problem. The lens has auto/man switch and allows for manual stop down of aperture without engaging the pin. Also the pin itself should not interfere with anything on a Sony E camera, nor with the adapter itself.

Maybe you have an adapter with additional flange, that is supposed to push the pin all the way when the lens is screwed into it. These kind of adapters assume the stop down pin on each lens is the same length, which is not true; it may leave a pin pushed into the lens only partially. I'd recommend an adapter without a flange, if that's the case.
The aperture pin on the 8-element Super-Takumar can definitely be an issue with some adapters since it still protrudes approximately 2mm when fully depressed.

Unlike other M42 lenses (e.g. Rollei/Zeiss etc.), the Super-Takumar does not incorporate a spring-loaded buffer mechanism that prevents the mechanics from damages when depressing the pin further than intended (by M42 design) – at least my Super-Takumar does not have such a mechanism. However, some M42 lenses I know (many other should be affected as well, I suspect) that are in a non-ideal working/serviced condition require a deeper depression of the pin when used in manual/adapted mode of operation in order to fully close the diaphragm – which may be another reason why K&F may have designed their adapter as such.

I would recommend to follow the advise using a non-flanged adapter with the Super-Takumar and strongly emphasize to NOT cut the pin. The 8-element Super-Takumar is a rare and important piece of history that must be preserved under any circumstances!
Attached Images

Last edited by LEENUX; 09-07-2021 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Clarification that an assumption I made affects "at least" my lens, i.e., I cannot generalize without further knowledge.
09-07-2021, 04:38 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

A gentleman in a local camera shop?
Free advice is often worth what you pay for it.

No further comment needed.
11-13-2021, 07:35 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is no need, given you have purchased the correct adaptor to modify this lens at all. There is nothing on this lens which would cause interference with an M42 adaptor, I do note that there appear to be 2 styles of adaptor, one with an inner lip that will depress the aperture activation pin, and one without this lip.

For Pentax lenses, except for auto Takumar lenses, which need this lip to function, all other Pentax M42 mount lenses have an A/M switch that negates the need to have this lip on the adaptor.

Buy your adaptor to use the lens, not the other way around.

The advise you were given is pure BS
11-13-2021, 08:16 AM   #13

The late model Super-Multi-Coated Takumars with the aperture follower have a square tab the will keep the lens from screwing in completely on adapters with the internal flange. The 8 element 50mm does not have this tab.
11-18-2021, 12:01 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LEENUX Quote
The aperture pin on the 8-element Super-Takumar can definitely be an issue with some adapters since it still protrudes approximately 2mm when fully depressed
The Canon EF-Mount has a flange distance of 44mm, while the M-42 mount has a flange distance of 45.46mm, so I would think that a camera which has very little clearance between the mirror and the mount might have a problem. I would investigate this potential problem via actually measuring the clearance by keeping the mirror in position using ‘B’ shutter speed. If the lens won’t fit, I would personally choose to not use it with that camera. Those lenses can no longer be replaced, so I personally would not butcher the lens in any case.
11-22-2021, 02:21 AM   #15
Pentaxian

For other lenses without an A/M switch (like some cheaper sears lenses) there are non destructive mods as well that can keep the pin depressed.