Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
09-24-2021, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Upgrade M43 body (Currently Mini E-PM1)

I made this post as a comment in the M43 photo forums, but I believe as a question seeking advice it is best to have a quick thread about it...

I am really considering upgrading my M43 body. I need something with a viewfinder!!!

Considering selling some gear that will fetch about $300 total... I'm seeing some Olys E-m10 (first version) going for about $185... Is it worth an extra $100 for a few extra features on a Mark II (E-M10) or any other model?

I will use mostly the Olympus M.Zuiko 14-42mm 3.5-5.6, Sigma EX DN 19/2.8, my Rokkor 58/1.4 and most importantly my Pentax-110 glass (50mm and 70mm 2.8s mostly) - hence the need for a viewfinder...

Thanks for any feed back.

09-24-2021, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

For the m10 ii, the viewfinder resolution is on par with current models, for example my lumix g95 has the same resolution of 2360k vs 1440k for the first version, and it's also larger. If you're looking to get a viewfinder for manual focus, then I think this is the main feature to consider if the extra money is worth it.

Olympus E-M10 II vs Olympus E-M10 Detailed Comparison
Not sure if there are panasonic models with ibis and around $200, though more expensive/recent ones have it
09-24-2021, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The OM-D EM-1 has a very nice EVF supposedly, and being a more pro body, lots of good controls... and it's in your budget.

I think all the cameras you are looking at, will have a similar 16MP M4/3 sensor. The 20MP cameras are supposed to be quite a bit better but they cost quite a bit more...

I've looked at M4/3 cameras in the past but could never justify the jump, but a pocketable PEN style camera with the Panasonic 20/1.7 pancake is a pocketable solution I've considered a few times...
09-24-2021, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My only Olympus bodies are the air-01 (weird 16mp sensor that pairs with a smartphone and has minimal controls and lacks ibis) and an EM1. I’m not sure the size of the em-10. I would use camerasize.com or a similar tool to visualize the selected body and lens combo.

My stable of m43 gear in size order smallest to largest:

Olympus Air01 - no viewfinder, hard to control, no ibis. I sometimes take as a backup when space is at a premium. (Don’t buy, no viewfinder, no ibis, too weird)

Panasonic GX1 - external viewfinder is pricey and adds bulk but is a nice option in your bag or pocket, no ibis, weaker image quality than other 16mp bodies I’ve used. Lcd screen commonly has coatings mottle and look terrible without power on but this seems to have little impact on image preview oddly. (Too expensive with viewfinder added on, no ibis)

Panasonic GX-7: great feel and size. Integrated TILTING viewfinder which is fantastic when bending over, ibis (3 stops perhaps), strong iq performance, titling screen (I prefer over articulated screens), one of my favorite cameras of all time. (Under $300, DFD focus only works with Panasonic lenses, CDAF performance with my Olympus 60mm macro is plenty fast for me, great fun camera)

These next two are nearly the same size.

Olympus EM1: Nice EVF but non-tilting, tilting screen, great IBIS, PDAF focus support, funky control layout - I hate left side power button and I struggle with the dual mode controls wheee flipping a lever gives different functions, no touchscreen if that’s important to you (not really much of a factor to me), grip capable - I have it and don’t tend to use it, weather resistant. (Prices seem to vary more than others. Some are within your price range or a bit higher, flagship class body is NICE)

Panasonic GX8 - tilting EVF, simple (for me) menus, articulated screen (sigh), larger body, improved IBIS, not quite as good as EM1 probably, good controls, good feeling in hand (em1 is similar or better), 20mp sensor, AA filter - all of the others are similar in this respect, lighter feeling than size would suggest but solid, same focus type as GX-7, weather resistant. ($500’ish, too much for the budget)

---------- Post added 09-24-21 at 11:16 AM ----------

M43 bodies I own by -vanya_42nd-

M43 bodies I own by -vanya_42nd-

Camera bodies for size comparison. The air-01 is shown in one shot paired with a Motorola Z4.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 09-24-2021 at 08:17 AM.
09-24-2021, 08:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
For the m10 ii, the viewfinder resolution is on par with current models, for example my lumix g95 has the same resolution of 2360k vs 1440k for the first version, and it's also larger. If you're looking to get a viewfinder for manual focus, then I think this is the main feature to consider if the extra money is worth it.Olympus E-M10 II vs Olympus E-M10 Detailed ComparisonNot sure if there are panasonic models with ibis and around $200, though more expensive/recent ones have it
Yes - that is the feature I see that will be the big difference... $100 extra, but I do use MF...

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The OM-D EM-1 has a very nice EVF supposedly, and being a more pro body, lots of good controls... and it's in your budget.I think all the cameras you are looking at, will have a similar 16MP M4/3 sensor. The 20MP cameras are supposed to be quite a bit better but they cost quite a bit more..
Ahh thanks for pointing this one out...

At the end of the day both the E-M10 ii and E-M1 are extremely similar. I do not mind bulkiness, and actually prefer the grip on the E-M1; sensors seem to be in par, so do the EVFs...

Olympus E-M10 II vs Olympus E-M1 Detailed Comparison

They are basically tied but for different reasons.

Tough choice now...

---------- Post added 09-24-21 at 11:20 AM ----------

but a pocketable PEN style camera with the Panasonic 20/1.7 pancake is a pocketable solution I've considered a few times...
If you do not mind the lack of the viewfinder, the E-PM1 is OK but it is way too entry level - meaning 12MP, ISO 200... simple little camera. I've snapped good shots with it, but I do not need the portability, and that is it's selling point.

---------- Post added 09-24-21 at 11:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Panasonic GX-7: great feel and size. Integrated TILTING viewfinder which is fantastic when bending over, ibis (3 stops perhaps), strong iq performance, titling screen (I prefer over articulated screens), one of my favorite cameras of all time. (Under $300, DFD focus only works with Panasonic lenses, CDAF performance with my Olympus 60mm macro is plenty fast for me, great fun camera)These next two are nearly the same size.Olympus EM1: Nice EVF but non-tilting, tilting screen, great IBIS, PDAF focus support, funky control layout - I hate left side power button and I struggle with the dual mode controls wheee flipping a lever gives different functions, no touchscreen if that’s important to you (not really much of a factor to me), grip capable - I have it and don’t tend to use it, weather resistant. (Prices seem to vary more than others. Some are within your price range or a bit higher, flagship class body is NICE)
Thank you kindly for this breakdown. It helps a lot...

Not a fan of touch screen in my camera, so I'm ok with that...

E-M10 ii; E-M1; GX-7

Nice little list... the struggle intensifies!

Cheers!
09-24-2021, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really like the g85 Panasonic also but don’t own one. Smaller than the GX8 and closer in concept to the GX7. These are around $350 from what I see. Brand new with a two lens kit they are about $600 so they seem to hold value. May be too pricey. All the same advantages of the GX7 and 8 but not as ergonomic.
09-24-2021, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
but not as ergonomic.
I once got a dSLR that was not so keen on ergonomics - K-S1 = great sensor... but I could not grip it for the life of me. Did not even sell it forward, I gifted it to a family member.

09-24-2021, 08:44 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Look at this: some features may not be 100% accurate - but neither is my memory!

The em1 grip is far beefier than the om10 II - but it is a bigger camera as well.

The em10ii does have a few advantages including built in flash.
09-24-2021, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
I once got a dSLR that was not so keen on ergonomics - K-S1 = great sensor... but I could not grip it for the life of me. Did not even sell it forward, I gifted it to a family member.
You seriously thought it was so bad that you couldn't bring yourself to sell it? Yeah the lack of grip is an issue with larger lenses, but not wit small ones... and in the hand it feels a lot like my film P30T camera...
09-24-2021, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
you couldn't bring yourself to sell it
I can't upsell something I honestly dislike... figured that I was not going to get much (and I got it for an OK price) so I gifted it to someone who wanted a camera. I think I get Karma points on that transaction.

For digital, I need grip, I've come to terms with that. It helps with stabilization and framing (for me at least)
09-24-2021, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I can't upsell something I honestly dislike... figured that I was not going to get much (and I got it for an OK price) so I gifted it to someone who wanted a camera. I think I get Karma points on that transaction.

For digital, I need grip, I've come to terms with that. It helps with stabilization and framing (for me at least)
Here I am thinking, the OM-D E-M10 is probably not for you, the E-M1 is the one you want.... it actually has a grip... mpb.com has a bunch of them for sale in your price range.
09-24-2021, 09:35 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here I am thinking, the OM-D E-M10 is probably not for you, the E-M1 is the one you want.... it actually has a grip... mpb.com has a bunch of them for sale in your price range.
thanks, ohh the wheels are moving on this end...
09-24-2021, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

E-M10 ii and E-M1 are extremely similar
I think build quality is quite a bit different, I only briefly held an m10 ii and was underwhelmed... from what I gather the M1 is a pro-level build
09-24-2021, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I think we just might have decided how Ed should spend his money!

(Just kidding of course, but honestly, if it were me, the current prices for the E-M1 would make it a no-brainer).
09-24-2021, 10:49 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
I think build quality is quite a bit different, I only briefly held an m10 ii and was underwhelmed... from what I gather the M1 is a pro-level build
(Just kidding of course, but honestly, if it were me, the current prices for the E-M1 would make it a no-brainer).
Indeed folks... E-M1 is a winner (thus far) and the likely candidate.

Honetly thanks to all, without this thread I would not have known about the E-M1...