Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2021, 09:54 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Old Digitals also need love: Olympus C-725

Hello,

Over the years I have posted a few older digitals that were left for dead and I just had fun bringing them back. Nothing serious. Mostly cosmetic work. Contrary to vintage film cameras, which can still be used with excellent results, old digitals are really left in the dust, especially point and shoots. I'm just keeping this from the landfill.
So a friend of mine gave me this he was going to throw away.
Olympus CAMEDIA C-725. This little monster has a whopping 3.0 Megapixles and a 8X optical zoom. It was released in early 2004 to not so good reviews.
This one has the battery door broken. It won't latch.
Before doing anything, I put fresh batteries and held the battery door in place. It is alive.

No camera, regardless of how bad it performs, deserves this kind of treatment.

So after analyzing the situation, I came up with an idea. I drilled a strategic hole and made an L shaped key from brass to fit tight on the drilled hole.

Know what? It works!

So, a cleanup, batteries and an old XD card I had around:

Made in Japan!

Yikes, Yeah, I wasn't expecting much either. But maybe it works better in bright sunlight.

As for the main question: WHY? I don't know! I've never claimed to be normal.
Maybe if there is a zombie apocalypse where only 3MP 8X zoom cameras work...

By the way, just for fun the camera shots were taken on this 2010 Fuji AX230 (my sister's)

which was photographed with a 2004 Fuji S3100

Thanks,
Ismael

10-01-2021, 10:45 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Another cool project, Ismael. Nice job with the little L-shaped key!

I love playing with old digital cameras, and find it interesting to see what images can be squeezed out of them. In decent light outdoors, I'm sure you'll find the C-725 is capable of producing decent photos
10-02-2021, 03:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice Ismael, no need to justify as I reckon most into photography have curiosity not logic driving them. I've just rescued an old Nikon D2H, with a mighty 4.2.mp!! It's been a surprise how good a photo such small numbers can produce! I hope people continue to buy the latest tech and leave the older stuff to become affordable toys to play with.
Attached Images

10-02-2021, 04:34 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow. I think I own both of those cameras! My kids used the Olympus (neither one developed a photography hobby) and my wife owned the Fuji when cell phones sucked as cameras. The one we have is blue.

10-02-2021, 10:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice job!
My first digital camera was a Kodak. My second one a Pentax