Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2021, 12:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Looks like Nikon India has leaked the specs.
It does have a mechanical shutter.

45MP stacked sensor
120 fps
GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite System)
EN-EL18c battery, and a new battery (EN-EL18x) that can be charged through camera USB-C.
Multi-leaf blade protective shutter
Car/motorcycle AF tracking, animal and people AI AF, as low as -7 EV
Improved articulated screen
Two CFExpress memory cards.
Third joystick/selector added
New shooting modes
Shutter sound level control

10-28-2021, 07:18 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ah finally Nikon unleashed the beast to eat Sony A1 alive. Z9, 45Mp @ 30 FPS, 493 AF points, only $2799 , nice, I buy. Can't tell the data rate and processing speed inside that camera, but I bet Nikon engineers sweat big time to reach the specs goals given to them by the marketing department. Unfortunately , your average Sunday hobby photo said it's being replaced by smartphones .

Last edited by biz-engineer; 10-28-2021 at 07:29 AM.
10-28-2021, 07:41 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Ah finally Nikon unleashed the beast to eat Sony A1 alive. Z9, 45Mp @ 30 FPS, 493 AF points, only $2799 , nice, I buy. Can't tell the data rate and processing speed inside that camera, but I bet Nikon engineers sweat big time to reach the specs goals given to them by the marketing department. Unfortunately , your average Sunday hobby photo said it's being replaced by smartphones .
Yea it’s a little more than $2799 not sure where you got your info from.
10-28-2021, 07:53 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
Yea it’s a little more than $2799 not sure where you got your info from.
Ahhrr it was the price on the Z7 listed on amazon. My dream just died.

10-28-2021, 08:35 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Looks like Nikon India has leaked the specs.
It does have a mechanical shutter.
Not according to Nikon:

QuoteQuote:
Additionally, the camera is capable of sustained fast continuous shooting bursts, in-camera 8K video recordings for extended periods, truly blackout-free Real-Live visibility in the viewfinder and a sensor scan rate so fast that it completely eliminates the need for a traditional mechanical shutter.
Nikon announces Z9, a 30 fps, 8K, Stacked CMOS professional mirrorless camera: Digital Photography Review
10-28-2021, 09:36 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Ahhrr it was the price on the Z7 listed on amazon. My dream just died.
I still think it’s a great price for the Z9 at $5500, especially if it can match Canon and Sony autofocus capabilities. If I was a Nikon shooter I would be pre ordering it.
10-28-2021, 10:25 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
I still think it’s a great price for the Z9 at $5500, especially if it can match Canon and Sony autofocus capabilities. If I was a Nikon shooter I would be pre ordering it.
That's clear, it is price competitive. I've seen DPR complaining about the EVF having only 3.7Mp and 60i/s, but I believe the "low" pixel count is certainly a deliberate blackout free speed/resolution trade-off. The Z9 looks like a solid well built and well rounded professional camera, no matter what consumer gear reviewers may say. Such camera , without mechanical shutter or mirror, can probably take a million exposures or more, 45Mp is quite future proof, so at $5500 it's competitive.

10-28-2021, 10:49 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Yup. I am wrong and happy to be so. Those are some great specs and a great price.

Really interested to see how this performs in the real world.
10-28-2021, 01:55 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I’m curious as well, cool if they made another leap in AF and good for Nikon if that’s the case. We’ll see once people start reviewing it. More exciting for me will be when some of this makes it to the Z5 iii or something like that.

Reviewing all the specs, I think this one will sell quite well for Nikon, it’s not that much more than an R5 while outperforming it hands down, so long as the AF is there. Given Nikons past with 3D AF I won’t be surprised if they’re the new AF leader of the pack.

The 3.68 viewfinder should be just fine, I would have no complaints with the resolution of my Z5 if it was totally lag/blackout free. Plenty of detail at that resolution.

I’m curious if the new NX app works with the Z5. Lots of tether/transfer options in real time there.

The 120 fps 11mp has AF/AE which is pretty impressive. And I’d bet money the 8K60 will enable it to capture AF-C stills in movie mode at 33mp 60fps just like how the Z5/6/7 can capture 30/60fps at 8mp in AF-C in movie mode. I have a dedicated setup for that on my Z5 if I need 30FPS bursts for wildlife. 8MP is still pretty usable if you don’t need to crop. 33mp would be way more usable and I don’t think anything else can do that at 60FPS.

I imagine pro’s will use 120fps with the wired tether and 5G at sports games to upload on the fly so editors can cherry pick results out for fast publishing. 5GUC is incredibly fast if you’re in an area that supports it, like most places with sports stadiums. My cell has 5G and it’s faster than my home wired connection.

* after further reviewing all the specs, it’s probably the best professional camera out there now, and it costs less than the A1/R3. The initial youtube reviews are showing AF on par with the new Canon R3 and the Sony A1. 20FPS is in uncompressed RAW, it shoots 30FPS in JPEG and Lossy RAW, just like the A1. It’s also capped at 20FPS in uncompressed RAW.

The only thing it doesn’t have is Canon’s eye AF feature.

Nikon’s back. That AF is pretty impressive to watch and way beyond what’s on my Z5.

Last edited by LeeRunge; 10-28-2021 at 03:03 PM.
10-28-2021, 03:20 PM   #25
Pentaxian

The Z9 is going to give Canon & Sony a run for their money.
10-28-2021, 04:07 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
The Z9 is going to give Canon & Sony a run for their money.
Jared Polin gave it the nod. Basically on par with the A1 and R3 now. So it’s a 3 horse race. He said they need to get the expeed 7 into Z6iii/Z7iii ASAP to get the AF of the 9 into the midrange where the bulk of sales are. I hope to see a Z5ii with that as well.

In the long run I’m guessing I’ll be able to use my Pentax glass on my z before long with AF adapters. I already see them for E mount and there’s probably a combo of E and K that would work.

Pretty impressive to see the 120FPS at work, honestly that’s a super useful mode for sports use professionally. 11MP will cover any media needs and with 5G tether in real time they’ll get impressive shots out quickly. You basically can cherry pick any moment in sports with it. Being those files are about 3.5mb a peice and 5G (just looked 237 down and 33mb up and im not in a major city) is generally faster than most home internet connections that is a pretty amazing tethering option for sports publications or journalists.

Last edited by LeeRunge; 10-28-2021 at 04:14 PM.
10-28-2021, 06:50 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oooof it makes the Z7ii AF look like a joke. I can’t wait until this trickles into the Z6iii/7iii and maybe 5ii or iii. With them all sharing components I wouldn’t be surprised to see that happen inside a few years given how historically Nikon trickles it’s AF into lower end body’s quite fast. It’s interesting how much the memory card impacts the camera. I’m not sure what the shutter life is on the R3 or A1 but at these frame rates even if it’s 500k actuations, that will come into play pretty fast. So no shutter at all seems like a huge advantage for the lifespan of the camera and not having to replace shutters.

10-28-2021, 07:40 PM   #28
Pentaxian

But you don’t have to use the mechanical shutter on a R3, R5 or A1 at all so they will probably last a long time.
10-28-2021, 07:48 PM   #29
Pentaxian

In the (arctic) field It was cool to watch new camera or not, and there's more from his trip (i subscribe to his channel)

10-28-2021, 09:01 PM   #30
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
Oooof it makes the Z7ii AF look like a joke. I can’t wait until this trickles into the Z6iii/7iii and maybe 5ii or iii. With them all sharing components I wouldn’t be surprised to see that happen inside a few years given how historically Nikon trickles it’s AF into lower end body’s quite fast. It’s interesting how much the memory card impacts the camera. I’m not sure what the shutter life is on the R3 or A1 but at these frame rates even if it’s 500k actuations, that will come into play pretty fast. So no shutter at all seems like a huge advantage for the lifespan of the camera and not having to replace shutters.

https://youtu.be/GRZxoE28QaU
That dude has pervy vibes to me. But I will say I have heard a similar comment, on the performance of the Z9 over the Z7II, from another photog that got a review copy and posted their thoughts on another forum. They said after using the Z9 they went back to their Z7II and the Z7II then felt sluggish to them (in all aspects). They were bummed (to go back). haha

I think 3rd gen Z's will be very pleasing indeed. I suspect the 3d tracking and much of the video/burst features will trickle down to them. That makes me even more glad I didn't spend the extra bucks on a Z6II over the Z5. I'll just spend the money on Z lenses in the meantime or just save it.

It will be interesting to see if the Z6III keeps using a 24MP sensor or uses a newer 30+MP jobby. I think Nikon will want to distinguish the Z7III from the Z9 in resolution. So they will want to increase the pixel count on the Z7III (maybe to 61MP?) and let the user pick high(est) resolution Z7 or speed(ier) Z9.

Which makes me think the Z6III could go along for the ride as well.

I could see the Z5II getting most of the Z6II internals but minus the top lcd panel and support for the grip again. That said, I also suspect the Z5 won't get a refresh until after the 3rd gens are released. Maybe by an additional year after.

That or their won't be a Z5II and Nikon could just move the Z6II into the lower price bracket.