Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2021, 11:54 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A few shots by Hasselblad HV

A few playing around shots. The deer shot is severely cropped, revealing a lens of excellent sharpness that allows, even encourages, such cropping. The 24-70mm has not thus far come off the camera while I am contemplating which lens to try out next. Unfortunately (or fortunately, really) the 24-70mm gives little reason to switch to anything else within its range, so maybe I will try out the Tamron SP AF 90mm f 2.5, which seems to come well recommended. I may also try out the Maxxum AF 50mm f 2.8 macro. When the FOTODIOX PK-Sony Alpha adapter arrives, I have lots of trials in mind. I am unsure whether that adapter has glass, but will use it whether it does or not. I am not really a pixel peeker, and in any event my lens evaluations are more impressionistic than professional.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
HV  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
HV  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
HV  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
HV  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
HV  Photo 
11-05-2021, 12:38 PM - 3 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I will try out the Tamron SP AF 90mm f 2.5, which seems to come well recommended. I may also try out the Maxxum AF 50mm f 2.8 macro.
Please try to find a MAF 100/2.8 Macro - would be nice to see it vis-a-vis the Tammy 90/2.5

Some MAF 100/2.8 Macro shots:

And some infinity:

11-05-2021, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Please try to find a MAF 100/2.8 Macro - would be nice to see it vis-a-vis the Tammy 90/2.5

Some MAF 100/2.8 Macro shots:

And some infinity:

Nice shots. I will look for the MAF lenss.
11-06-2021, 06:34 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shots with the Hasselblad HV (aka Sony a99)

Sample/test shots with Hasselblad HV and newly acquired A-mount Tamron SP AF 90mm f 2.5.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
HV  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
HV  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
HV  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
HV  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
HV  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
HV  Photo 
11-06-2021, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Sample/test shots with Hasselblad HV and newly acquired A-mount Tamron SP AF 90mm f 2.5.
Beautiful samples. Love the fallen leaves.
11-06-2021, 11:36 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful samples. Love the fallen leaves.
Thanks for your comments Ed. I would love to have you drop by and help me to rake up all these leaves! You can take some great photos too.

---------- Post added 11-07-21 at 01:41 AM ----------

I just ordered two "must have" Minolta Maxxum A mount lenses--the AF 50mm f 1.4 and the AF 100mm f 2.8 macro. Both have received outstanding reviews, especially the 100mm macro, so looking forward to checking them out when they arrive some time next week.
11-07-2021, 08:05 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Thanks for your comments Ed. I would love to have you drop by and help me to rake up all these leaves! You can take some great photos too.

---------- Post added 11-07-21 at 01:41 AM ----------

I just ordered two "must have" Minolta Maxxum A mount lenses--the AF 50mm f 1.4 and the AF 100mm f 2.8 macro. Both have received outstanding reviews, especially the 100mm macro, so looking forward to checking them out when they arrive some time next week.
I actually enjoy raking leaves (albeit I have a very small yard).

Great that you acquirred the 100/2.8 macro. It lives to its reputation. But... be very patient and take your time with it. At first I couldn't really get a feel for it. Took me a few days to really get the better of it.

11-07-2021, 09:22 AM   #38
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I actually enjoy raking leaves (albeit I have a very small yard).

Great that you acquirred the 100/2.8 macro. It lives to its reputation. But... be very patient and take your time with it. At first I couldn't really get a feel for it. Took me a few days to really get the better of it.
Out of curiosity, what's the 100/2.8 like for CA / fringing at wide apertures? I realise this isn't its primary use-case, but a 100mm lens on full frame can be nice for portraiture...
11-07-2021, 02:25 PM - 2 Likes   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sunny day photos with Sony 390 and Minolta Maxxum 75-300mm f 4.5-5.6.

Sample photos on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

KIT: Sony 390 and Minolta Maxxum 75-300mm f 4.5-5.6 aka "the beer can."
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSLR-A390  Photo     
11-08-2021, 07:28 AM - 2 Likes   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Out of curiosity, what's the 100/2.8 like for CA / fringing at wide apertures? I realise this isn't its primary use-case, but a 100mm lens on full frame can be nice for portraiture...
Looking at my samples - this is what I can offer: overall, not so different from a good quality film era 100/Macro. Some purple fringing, and a bit of the green ghosting on certain situations, but it does not break the bank. Easily corrected if needed.

MAF 100/2.8 Macro at f2.8 - I think you can tell I corrected a bit by the window handle:

At f5.6 (cropped image) see bottom right where the branches meet the white bg- some purple fringe...

At f4 - see the light posts to the right (hit heavily by direct sun) and see some purple fringe (I may have corrected this one a bit):

Good - at f3.5 and no direct harsh light - no Purple or green ghosting...

Good - f3.5 and a reflective subject (portrait-like shot)

IN COMPARISON - this is a shot wide open (I know due to the bokeh) with the A 100/4 Macro. Note the purple fringing on the birds / "bowl"

11-08-2021, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #41
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Looking at my samples - this is what I can offer: overall, not so different from a good quality film era 100/Macro. Some purple fringing, and a bit of the green ghosting on certain situations, but it does not break the bank. Easily corrected if needed.

MAF 100/2.8 Macro at f2.8 - I think you can tell I corrected a bit by the window handle:

At f5.6 (cropped image) see bottom right where the branches meet the white bg- some purple fringe...

At f4 - see the light posts to the right (hit heavily by direct sun) and see some purple fringe (I may have corrected this one a bit):

Good - at f3.5 and no direct harsh light - no Purple or green ghosting...

Good - f3.5 and a reflective subject (portrait-like shot)

IN COMPARISON - this is a shot wide open (I know due to the bokeh) with the A 100/4 Macro. Note the purple fringing on the birds / "bowl"
Thanks so much for the excellent examples, Ed - that's really helpful and much appreciated The 100/2.8 macro turns in an impressive performance, with nice rendering too. One I'll have to add to my list of possible acquisitions...
11-08-2021, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Thanks so much for the excellent examples, Ed - that's really helpful and much appreciated The 100/2.8 macro turns in an impressive performance, with nice rendering too. One I'll have to add to my list of possible acquisitions...
Thank you kindly Mike, very glad to contribute.

FYI - The Sony 100/2.8 Macro and the MAF is the same lens, optically... MAYBE more modern AF added?

Also, as well as with the MAF 50/2.8 Macro:

These (50/2.8 and 100/2.8 Macros) have about 3 different versions easily ID'd by the barrel/focus ring/name engraving.

The early version feature a more metallic construction, whilst the latters more plastic. Same optics. MAYBE different AF/Coatings.

For the MAF 50/2.8 Macro - I have 2 copies of the early version

For the MAF 100/2.8 Macro - I have 1 copy of the 2nd version

Dyxum does a great job at showing the different versions of the lenses...
11-08-2021, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hasselblad HV and Minolta Maxxum 50mm f 2.8 macro.

Here are a few snaps with the H. HV (a99) and newly acquired MM 50mm f 2.8 macro. I think I like this lens, great detail and good color rendering. These MM lenses appear to be great bargains, though I have not yet bit the bullet for the MM 85mm, which seems to start around $400 and go up from there! The shadow of the photographer may be discerned in the first photo.

NOTE: Sorry the first photo has been laid on its side. Pentax Forum used to do this to me quite regularly, but this is the first time for a good while. Adam, if you are monitoring, I will appreciate any suggestions you can offer. Meanwhile, you may wish to invert your computer screen or alternatively turn your head sidewise to view the photo.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
HV  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
HV  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
HV  Photo 

Last edited by ivanvernon; 11-08-2021 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Note about photograph display.
11-08-2021, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

Minolta Maxxum 75-300mm f 4.5-5.6 aka "the beer can."
Nice shots... I am sad that I did not know about this lens before getting the 70-210/4 - would have been nice to have the extra 90mm...

Heads up Ivan - the 75-300 is considered the BIG beer can. The 70-210 is the beer can and then there is the 100-200 mini-beer can... yep, lots of beer out there

I have the 100-200 and 70-210 = I stopped using the 100-200....

---------- Post added 11-08-21 at 10:39 AM ----------

Here are a few snaps with the H. HV (a99) and newly acquired MM 50mm f 2.8 macro. I think I like this lens, great detail and good color rendering. These MM lenses appear to be great bargains, though I have not yet bit the bullet for the MM 85mm, which seems to start around $400 and go up from there! The shadow of the photographer may be discerned in the first photo.
Oh wow, fast turnaround. Glad you have it and shots look sweet. Love that third one...

I've not even tried to get the 85mm... Honestly I am afraid to look

Last edited by edom31; 11-08-2021 at 08:44 AM.
11-08-2021, 09:01 AM - 2 Likes   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shots... I am sad that I did not know about this lens before getting the 70-210/4 - would have been nice to have the extra 90mm...

Heads up Ivan - the 75-300 is considered the BIG beer can. The 70-210 is the beer can and then there is the 100-200 mini-beer can... yep, lots of beer out there

I have the 100-200 and 70-210 = I stopped using the 100-200....

---------- Post added 11-08-21 at 10:39 AM ----------

Oh wow, fast turnaround. Glad you have it and shots look sweet. Love that third one...

I've not even tried to get the 85mm... Honestly I am afraid to look

I am not too serious about the MM 85/`1.4 because I already have the SMC Pentax-FA* 85mm f 1.4 IF and the Samyang/Rokinon 85mm f 1.4 Aspherical IF. I have ordered a FOTODIOX PK-A-mount adapter, and will see how well these two lenses work before considering the MM 85 at its elevated price.

I think you are right about the MM 75-300 f 4.5-5.6 zoom lens. The lens gets rave reviews, and my own use of the lens confirms the favorable assessments. I have not really tried it out extensively at the long end, but then I will probably never use the long end anyway except when the mallard pair resume their visits to our garden pond, which we have pretentiously begun calling Mystic Pond. I attach a view of our garden wishing well, taken with the 50mm.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
HV  Photo 

Last edited by ivanvernon; 11-08-2021 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Correction of typo.