Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
12-13-2021, 11:33 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nikon's recent press releases

Nikon | News | Nikon releases the NIKKOR Z 28-75mm f/2.8 for the Nikon Z mount system
Nikon | News | Nikon is developing the NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S, a super-telephoto prime lens for the Nikon Z mount system

Nikon's looking like very competitive in the mirrorless arena.
- reasonable prices
- broadening range of lenses
- top prime lenses (optically), yet at reasonable prices

That 28-75 kinda borrow the idea of Ricoh adapting Tamron lenses to own mount.
The 800 f6.3 , good idea, like the Canon 800 f11, but better (f6.3)

At some point, Nikon's going to be really interesting for the full framers.

12-14-2021, 12:21 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Although the 28-75 isn’t an S line lens, I notice there’s an “antifouling” coating on the front element. Should be handy for pictures at sea…
12-14-2021, 01:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder how muct that 800/6.3 will cost... I think it will be very close to the current 800/5.6 which is about ~ 18.000 Euros/USD
12-14-2021, 03:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
At some point, Nikon's going to be really interesting for the full framers.
When Sigma and Tamron do Z mount like they do Sony's E mount, it will help a lot.

12-14-2021, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

That 28-75 kinda borrow the idea of Ricoh adapting Tamron lenses to own mount.
And they have gone one step further by not buying the current G2 version, which in this case actually has some significant improvements.
Pentax used the Tamron design that were current at release time.
This will open the can of worms for Nikon in internet discussions just as has been the case for Pentax. People will question why they have to pay more for the same and they'll get the Pentax answers.

What probably is more concerning to Z-mount fans is that IMHO this release hammers the nails into the coffin of any hope that Tamron will ever release lenses for Z-mount.
In Pentax case the situation was the other way around: Tamron already had stopped new release so rebranded stuff was actually an improvement. For Tamron they all hoped that "soon" Tamron will release all their new stuff for the new mount.

The 800 f6.3 , good idea, like the Canon 800 f11, but better (f6.3)
I guess those two lenses are for absolutely different audiences. The Nikon one will probably cost somehwere between +500% and +1000% more than the Canon. They can be lucky if it's for just $5000.
12-14-2021, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
What probably is more concerning to Z-mount fans is that IMHO this release hammers the nails into the coffin of any hope that Tamron will ever release lenses for Z-mount.
I don't see Nikon Z as negative. I have a significant investment in the K mount so I'm nowhere near to switch, but I just find that the Nikon Z FF offering right now is better than Pentax FF offering. There is more choice of Nikon Z lenses than Pentax K, the Z primes are modern and cheaper than Pentax K primes, and the "old" Nikon Z bodies are more advanced that K1II. Nikon is now the value brand that Pentax used to be. The recent introduction of the DFA21 ltd is interesting, it cost 1500 euro, both Nikon 20 1.8 and Sony 20 f1.8 cost under 1000, and most other Z f1.8 primes are also under 800 Euro. Of course I don't like the cheap plastic build of Nikon Z lenses, but the image quality is there, so if I only care about image results Nikon is a good choice right now.

---------- Post added 14-12-21 at 13:30 ----------

They can be lucky if it's for just $5000.
You just don't know, let's wait and see.
12-14-2021, 09:25 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I suppose that we will have to see what next Z7&6 updates will be. I mean it is alright, but it is not Canon R6&5.
That new processor might do the trick. Also If their new EVF will find it’s way to next cheaper tier?

Othervise it is just that they have more not so interesting lenses than Pentax has(big News given what history is?(sarc)). Sure those primes are fine and all. But digital, and depend on corrections, which will make boring pictures.

But it is good that they did get their stuff (Z9) on same level than their opponents.

Nice that they also get thirdparty along..

12-14-2021, 10:54 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Sure those primes are fine and all. But digital, and depend on corrections, which will make boring pictures.
I disagree on this. The job of the camera is to record what's in front of the lens, the job of the photographer is to present non-boring image in front of the lens. I've never seen lens fringing changes a picture from boring to interesting. I don't see why it's a problem to have the lens corrected on raw data instead of requiring the user to do correction with post processing software.
12-14-2021, 01:50 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I disagree on this. The job of the camera is to record what's in front of the lens, the job of the photographer is to present non-boring image in front of the lens. I've never seen lens fringing changes a picture from boring to interesting. I don't see why it's a problem to have the lens corrected on raw data instead of requiring the user to do correction with post processing software.
Well it does depend quite a bit how much that lens requers correction, like for distortion. it does make a huge difference. Might not apply to most primes and most lenses. But if that is 'just' part of the deal one should know the trade off's
12-14-2021, 02:03 PM   #10
Pentaxian

it is good that they did get their stuff (Z9) on same level than their opponents.
The Z9 puts Nikon right back into the game, could have raised the level a touch in performance.Definitely is competitive price wise.The bodies with release software are starting to reach the reviewers and buyers right now.So reports will be coming over the next couple of months.

Canon will announce their update to the R5 pretty soon, it will probably undercut the Z9 in price.Its a R5 with a video orientated body.Similar capability but includes a heat sink plus more according to the reliable rumour sources.
12-14-2021, 02:03 PM   #11
Pentaxian

One more thing, which has been discussed many times over, but since you did bring limited in discussion. . . Is that part of their ’character’ is those ’flaws’. And they can be corrected up to one’s taste. For me, it will just look like being taken with any other lens in munat then. Why change my DFA28-105 for FA31 or my DFA15-30 for that if I can take perhaps even more ’correct’ photo with those zooms, and even have a zoom on top of that. Just because of the character from the lens and the end result which will make the difference.

Look. I’m not completelly against new tech and advantages from what it can and do offer.
12-14-2021, 02:04 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I've rented a Z-Mount Nikon that should arrive on Thursday. I have zero intent of replacing my Pentax gear, and simply curious how current Z's compare to what I use now. I only rented a single lens for it, but I also purchased a K to Z-Mount adapter so I can use and compare images from my Pentax glass.
12-14-2021, 02:06 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The Z9 puts Nikon right back into the game, could have raised the level a touch in performance.Definitely is competitive price wise.The bodies with release software are starting to reach the reviewers and buyers right now.So reports will be coming over the next couple of months.

Canon will announce their update to the R5 pretty soon, it will probably undercut the Z9 in price.Its a R5 with a video orientated body.Similar capability but includes a heat sink plus more according to the reliable rumour sources.
Better get your popcorn ready it is going to be tight race. Indeed, nice to see Nikon back in ’top 3’.

---------- Post added 12-14-21 at 23:08 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I've rented a Z-Mount Nikon that should arrive on Thursday. I have zero intent of replacing my Pentax gear, and simply curious how current Z's compare to what I use now. I only rented a single lens for it, but I also purchased a K to Z-Mount adapter so I can use and compare images from my Pentax glass.
It is nice to try out new things
12-14-2021, 02:11 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Better get your popcorn ready it is going to be tight race. Indeed, nice to see Nikon back in ’top 3’.

---------- Post added 12-14-21 at 23:08 ----------

It is nice to try out new things
It is.
12-14-2021, 02:16 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I guess those two lenses are for absolutely different audiences.
Chalk and cheese ,so to speak.Not that the Canon is a poor lens, from what Ive seen its very good in good light.So caters for the market that wants small and light(FOR 800MM).