Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2021, 02:57 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
We should compare the Nikon tax vs the Pentax tax on Tamron products. Will give an indication which brand is more price competitive. It's quite interesting how many of the main brands are rebadging third party lenses.

edit: just did it for my local market

Nikon tax =31%
Pen-tax =57%

unfortunate..

Last edited by house; 12-14-2021 at 03:03 PM.
12-14-2021, 03:49 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They'll probably be fine. The biggest concern for all of these companies is the overall shrinking of the digital market.
12-14-2021, 04:45 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I have zero intent of replacing my Pentax gear, and simply curious how current Z's compare to what I use now. I only rented a single lens for it, but I also purchased a K to Z-Mount adapter so I can use and compare images from my Pentax glass.
I'd love to hear your thoughts once you've had enough hands-on.
12-14-2021, 05:42 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've rented a Z-Mount Nikon that should arrive on Thursday. I have zero intent of replacing my Pentax gear, and simply curious how current Z's compare to what I use now. I only rented a single lens for it, but I also purchased a K to Z-Mount adapter so I can use and compare images from my Pentax glass.
What PK - Z adapter did you get?
I ordered Fotodiox PRO with aperture click-less control , just arrived , feels very good.

12-14-2021, 06:00 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
What PK - Z adapter did you get?
I ordered Fotodiox PRO with aperture click-less control , just arrived , feels very good.
The Urth adapter. My Pentax lenses are pretty tight on it, so I'm not impressed with the tolerances. The seal was also broken so I suspect it had been previously purchased and returned. If it was something I intended to regularly use I'd return it, and probably choose what you ordered.
12-15-2021, 03:01 AM   #21
Pentaxian

The Urth adapter. My Pentax lenses are pretty tight on it, so I'm not impressed with the tolerances. The seal was also broken so I suspect it had been previously purchased and returned. If it was something I intended to regularly use I'd return it, and probably choose what you ordered.
I use the Urth adapter with the limiteds and it's very nice
12-15-2021, 04:13 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
I use the Urth adapter with the limiteds and it's very nice
Perhaps that's why this copy of it was an apparent return, not quite as nice as yours.

12-15-2021, 12:24 PM   #23
mee
Veteran Member

I only rented a single lens for it
Which one did you rent, if I may ask? And body for that matter.

Also, please make sure you check and potentially adjust the white balance of the EVF. My Z5 came a bit too warm out of the box. Actually it took me a few hours of adjustments on the camera overall (not just white balance) to make it feel like home. Including mapping buttons and the sort. But I'm kind of picky on some of that and you may not be so.

Just pointing out it might need a bit of adjustment out of the box to get a better feel for its strengths and weaknesses.

Also hitting the OK button should zoom in the view based on what focus point you selected. That one was handy right out of the gate with manual focus lenses.
12-15-2021, 12:45 PM   #24
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That 28-75 kinda borrow the idea of Ricoh adapting Tamron lenses to own mount.
It's the G1 optical formula, apparently. So it has gotten a lot of flak, esp by Nikon users, but I'm really interested in it.

I have been asking Tamron representatives for a couple years now off and on to consider releasing for Z mount. It seems maybe Nikon is keeping a tight lid on it though, so this is a happy result. Of course it isn't going to be a lens as sharp and optically pleasing as an S line lens. They don't want to eat sales on the 24-120 f/4 S nor on the 24-70 f/2.8 S lens. If you could get 95% of the performance in this Tamron for half the price of the Nikkor S, why would anyone buy the Nikkor S?

So it makes sense to slot it into the catalog in a lower tier than S at a lower price. It's also nice in that since it is Nikon branded, it should have no issue with solid focusing (since it won't be reverse engineered) and from what I see it may have even improved weather sealing and coatings. So a lot like Ricoh's agreements with Tamron.

I'm interested in seeing if Tamron or Nikon release the 70-180 f/2.8 next! That's the other one I'd like. Small and light as an 70-200 f/4 but a stop faster. Unique to mirrorless.
12-15-2021, 12:52 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I'm really torn between all these zooms of late. I want to buy something that will settle me for landscapes and I can't decide what lens to buy for which system... the Tamron G1 28-75 looks to be rendering very nicely but . dang that 28mm wide end is killing me ://// I loved the Pentax 28-105 but again that 28mm.. I keep dreaming of my Pentax 16-85, should have kept that :/

I will wait and see samples of the Z 24-120. I had high hopes for it but now I wonder if it will be glass after glass after glass that reduces contrast and they artificially bake in something in the raw file which looks flat in the end
12-15-2021, 02:34 PM   #26
mee
Veteran Member

I'm looking at the 14-30 f/4 for landscapes and this 28-75 f/2.8 for walkaround and general use. To resolve the 24 - 28mm aspect.

I do also wonder if the G1 was selected because it was more affordable for Nikon to purchase rights to use, if the G2 is somehow more uniquely designed for Sony E mount, and/or if Tamron wanted leeway to offer the G2 at a later date in Z mount!

Next couple of years should really show that.
12-15-2021, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Which one did you rent, if I may ask? And body for that matter.
The Z5 and 50 1.8
12-15-2021, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #28
mee
Veteran Member

The Z5 and 50 1.8
Nice pairing! That 50 f/1.8 S is just as sharp as the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART stopped down to f/1.8 !! And it has a nice rendering both in and out of focus imo.
12-15-2021, 10:31 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
I wonder how muct that 800/6.3 will cost... I think it will be very close to the current 800/5.6 which is about ~ 18.000 Euros/USD
I would not be surprised if it is under $7000 USD

Here in Canada people are hinting at the $8000 dollar mark
12-16-2021, 12:13 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
It's the G1 optical formula, apparently. So it has gotten a lot of flak, esp by Nikon users, but I'm really interested in it.
Well, I'm using three Pentax rebranded Tamron lenses, and they are pretty good, especially the 70-210. Actually, my 70-210 f/4 has a major advantage over my 70-200 f/2.8. For stitching images the Pentax 70-200 has a nodal point (to avoid parallax errors) moving from the back of the lens up to the front when zooming-in/out, my 200mm rail isn't long enough... The 70-210 is easy the nodal point doesn't move when zooming in/out, so I don't even need a rail. The recent Tamron (or Sigma) lens designs are very good, comparable to OEM, it's not like 20 years ago. Now you can get the Z 28-75 f/2.8 and use the Tam. 70-210 f4 with an adapter. If the 70-180 is also made available for the Z mount, even better. For me, the only thing that Nikon's lacking right now is a Z 70-200 f4 lens. Light weight kit: Z7II, Z 20 1.8, Z 24-70 f/4, Z 70-200 f/4 , 20mm to 200mm capability, DONE.