Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2021, 05:18 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Monster Adapter LA-KE1 (Pentax Kaf to Sony E): A Report

I have cross posted this report to Dyxum, as I feel the Sony user community would also be interested in this adapter.

Background

I have been away from the forum for quite a while now. Over the years, I have officially graduated from college with a CompSec Major and a Media Studies Minor and am about to graduate from graduate school with a CompSec major. While I no longer practice photography as a curriculum, it is still a part of my life. I have let go of my trust a7 and moved to the modern a7C, which in turn allowed me to reliably autofocus even with adapted lenses. While I have initially took advantage of this by selling off some of my older lenses (mostly Minolta, but also a few pre-AF Nikon and Pentax) and acquiring some Canon EF lenses, I have always wanted to use my FA43 and FA31 lenses, which have been with me since I first took photography courses in college, with full PASM exposure modes and AF support. Therefore, when I learned that Monster Adapter's LA-KE1 became available back in China, I ordered mine using my internship compensations, and have it shipped to me.

I have received the adapter for a month now, and while I have been busy with graduation for the past few weeks, I did manage to use the adapter with my three Pentax AF lenses (FA31, FA43, and DA40XS - another recent purchase). As a part of after-sales services for Chinese buyers, I am in a chat group where both representatives from the Chinese distributor and Monster Adapter is available, but I am not otherwise affiliated with either of them.

Build Quality

The lens adapter is well built with anodized aluminum, and both the lens and body mounts are metal. There are two bumps on the barrel that houses the aperture actuator and AF motors. Inside the lens mount, there is a small switch that can force Kaf2 lenses to use either the built-in SDM or screwdrive for AF. There are no USB ports on the adapter, as all firmware updates are done using the camera body, just like genuine Sony lenses and adapters. However, at least on my copy, there is a shiny white metal rail right next to the aperture actuator, which I painted black myself with acrylic paint marker.

Without the paint job, the metal rail can introduce quite some reflections (shot with FA31):

Compatibility and Performance

Just like other Monster Adapter products, this adapter has an "allow list" for lenses and bodies. Lenses and bodies not on the allow list would get no AF functionality. The full list of supported lenses and bodies can be found on the Monster Adapter link in the first chapter. I have been using this adapter with my FA31, FA43, and DA40XS lenses without major issues. Support for in-lens motor (Kaf3) and electromagnetic diaphragm (Kaf4), however, is not present in the current firmware at all.

This adapter emulates a Sony LA-EA3 adapter, just like the "green mode" on Metabones adapters. AF-S mostly works, but with my FA43 or FA31 wide open (especially with the "flex spot" AF mode), sometimes the image can be completely out of focus. AF-C (including Sony's new "real-time tracking" AF) also mostly works (it can catch up with moving trains, at least), but sometimes with my FA43, the adapter can drive the lens all the way to MFD and get stuck there (I mainly use the "tracking expanded flex spot" option), and never finding the target again. Eye AF also works to an extent in AF-S mode (demonstrated with the DA40XS lens):

Quirks

A major quirk of the adapter is that the aperture actuator is fairly slow to respond compared to my other adapters (LA-EA4, Sigma MC-11, and Metabones Mark IV). As a result, the shutter lag is significantly longer than that of using my other adapters, and the max continuous speed seemed to be capped at around 1fps. Wide open, however, allows achieving the 3fps cap of the LA-EA3 adapter (when used on non-a9 bodies).

When a DA lens, such as the DA40XS is being used, the a7C body would by default switch to APS-C mode. While one can force the body to work in FF mode, the phase detection area of DA lenses (at least in the case of my DA40XS) will be limited to the center of the frame (the same holds true for APS-C mode, but to a much lesser extent):

While the Metabones Mark IV adapter has a similar limitation under "advanced mode," it will allow contract detection outside the PDAF box. This adapter does not allow CDAF at all.

Sony does not support some of the max F stops present in the Pentax lineup. For example, the max aperture of my FA43 is displayed as F2.0.

The lens name in the EXIF data are not the ones given by Pentax. For example, my FA43 becomes "E 43mm F1.9" and my FA31 becomes "E 31mm F1.8" respectively. My DA40XS, however, seems to be recognized by DxO as the Canon EF 40mm F2.8 STM lens (and DxO keeps trying to apply the wrong profile). The latter seems more to be an issue with DxO though, as I have also seen such misidentifications on adapted Minolta glass (using the LA-EA4 adapter).

Conclusions

The LA-KE1 from Monster Adapter is quirky. But if you can work within its limitations and happen to have compatible lenses, it can be very useful. In fact, I bought the DA40XS just for this adapter - so I can easily add it to my EDC kit and use it just like a GR. However, if I need to photograph moving subjects, then the adapters for Canon lenses are still more mature and more suitable.

Sample Images

FA31:

FA43:

DA40XS APS-C:

DA40XS FF:

Last edited by butangmucat; 12-19-2021 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Add link to the Dyxum cross post
12-19-2021, 06:27 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for an excellent, balanced report. A quirky product indeed... I think I'd find some aspects rather frustrating, frankly. Still, for those who need it, it seems like a useful bit of kit...
12-19-2021, 06:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Thanks for an excellent, balanced report. A quirky product indeed... I think I'd find some aspects rather frustrating, frankly. Still, for those who need it, it seems like a useful bit of kit...
Sans the shutter lag issue, I have been able to get better (and more consistent) results with this adapter and my Pentax glass than the Sony LA-EA4 adapter and Minolta glass. This is especially the case under dawn, dusk, or backlit conditions.
12-19-2021, 10:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Curious about what the adapter can do, I've read this report with attention. But if it doesn't work unconditionally with all lenses, for me it's one more thing to think about that distract from picture making. I try to reduce complexity by using less lenses, so I'm not going to add an adapter.

12-20-2021, 09:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Curious about what the adapter can do, I've read this report with attention. But if it doesn't work unconditionally with all lenses, for me it's one more thing to think about that distract from picture making. I try to reduce complexity by using less lenses, so I'm not going to add an adapter.
I feel that this adapter is much like other Monster Adapter products: targeting photographers that have mostly switched to the Sony system, but still has a few autofocus-era Pentax lenses that are so good that they can't let go. Therefore, they're mostly targeting specific lenses and make sure that they work reasonably well.

My FA Limited lenses are the ones that I don't want to let go, and really want to use them with full autofocus on my Sony body.
12-21-2021, 12:36 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
thank you for very informative thread,
I am considering getting one
12-21-2021, 01:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you for the report! It seems that the adaptor is not suitable for fast action but rather for everyday street photography. This way the advantages of using a Sony MILC camera are mostly vanished to me. I would love if you could have great AF performance (offering reliable eye detection too) with a lens like the DFA*70-200/2.8 or the DFA 150-450 when support for such lenses becomes available... I have to wait for more information on this adaptor...

12-21-2021, 03:53 AM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
Sans the shutter lag issue, I have been able to get better (and more consistent) results with this adapter and my Pentax glass than the Sony LA-EA4 adapter and Minolta glass. This is especially the case under dawn, dusk, or backlit conditions.
I'm surprised by that. I use the LA-EA4 on my A7 MkII with Minolta AF and Sony A-mount glass, and it's been dependably accurate in most lighting conditions. Of course, it depends on the lenses as much as the adapter. Still, it's good to know you're getting great results with "the Monster"
12-21-2021, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Thank you for the report! It seems that the adaptor is not suitable for fast action but rather for everyday street photography. This way the advantages of using a Sony MILC camera are mostly vanished to me. I would love if you could have great AF performance (offering reliable eye detection too) with a lens like the DFA*70-200/2.8 or the DFA 150-450 when support for such lenses becomes available... I have to wait for more information on this adaptor...
AF is rather reliable. The problem lies with the aperture actuator.

With that being said, support for in-lens AF motors and electromagnetic aperture is on their roadmap.

---------- Post added 12-21-21 at 11:56 AM ----------

I'm surprised by that. I use the LA-EA4 on my A7 MkII with Minolta AF and Sony A-mount glass, and it's been dependably accurate in most lighting conditions. Of course, it depends on the lenses as much as the adapter. Still, it's good to know you're getting great results with "the Monster"
When a backlit subject is moving towards you, that's when the LA-EA4 really struggles. All my other adapters that can leverage the on-sensor phase detection perform much better.
12-21-2021, 11:24 AM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
When a backlit subject is moving towards you, that's when the LA-EA4 really struggles. All my other adapters that can leverage the on-sensor phase detection perform much better.
Interesting. I don't recall having that problem, but it's a rare situation for me to photograph moving back-lit subjects. I'll have to try it out. Do you use a single or multiple AF points?
12-21-2021, 09:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting. I don't recall having that problem, but it's a rare situation for me to photograph moving back-lit subjects. I'll have to try it out. Do you use a single or multiple AF points?
I use single AF point with real-time tracking, and try to stick to the few cross-type AF points whenever possible.