Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 172 Likes Search this Thread
12-31-2021, 06:21 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think Canon is messaging that they aren't planning to continue to develop SLRs indefinitely. It might be five years from now or a little longer, but they aren't developing new lenses for the EOS mount and they aren't going to be creating high end camera bodies for it either.

I don't think Canon is saying anything is "dead," but they are saying that they aren't investing much money going forward in SLR development. Their users would be wise to consider if they are comfortable using RP cameras in the future.

12-31-2021, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Well, I think Canon are getting ahead of themselves a little but a little thought on why they made their statement seems to point to them wanting DSLR users to switch over to mirrorless, thereby driving their mirrorless sales.

Mirrorless is a more fruitful market due to Canon already producing just about every lens you could ever reasonably hope for in the EF mount already. If people switch to mirrorless then Canon get (i) a camera body sale (ii) a potential EF to R mount adapter sale and (iii) potentially very profitable native R-mount sales.

It's that simple.
12-31-2021, 06:34 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Despite Tony's hyperbolic headline, I think his basic message is fair: DSLRs are a good choice in a number of cases. It's a shame he didn't use Ricoh Imaging/Pentax as a foil to Canon.

As for Tony & Chelsea's YouTube channel, they've managed to gain 1.5 million subscribers, which ain't too bad as far as YT goes. I do well when I can get a family member or two to be interested in my camera stories. Maybe I should try making a PowerPoint presentation at the dinner table.

- Craig
12-31-2021, 07:15 AM - 3 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

I'd tell you what I think of Northrup, but I'm pretty sure anyone who cares knows.

12-31-2021, 07:33 AM - 3 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
It's not even true. They announced that this was going to be their last professional DSLR. They will still develop and sell lower end DSLRs because there is still "demand overseas" as they put it.

Talk about a strawman. There's a reason I never paid attention to the Northrups.
For me the far bigger takeaway is that he thinks much of the dismissal of DSLR's as a photography tool is bumpkis. I agree with him. He feels that even when a DSLR is the logical choice too many people are falling for the Sony/Canon marketing, convinced the platform can't compete with the images an MILC can create and they just gotta have mirrorless to be a real photographer . It's not even kinda true.

Tony Northrup is not wrong this time.
12-31-2021, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
For me the far bigger takeaway is that he thinks much of the dismissal of DSLR's as a photography tool is bumpkis. I agree with him. He feels that even when a DSLR is the logical choice too many people are falling for the Sony/Canon marketing, convinced the platform can't compete with the images an MILC can create and they just gotta have mirrorless to be a real photographer . It's not even kinda true.

The guy irritates me so much I'll take you word for it.
12-31-2021, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder if there was any truth in the rumour someone just thought up that Canon declared the Northrups dead?? Probably just click-bait, move along …

12-31-2021, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote

He's not wrong about that, but the whole "Canon killed the DSLR" headline just irritates me and is plain false, Canon made clear they'll still release lower end DSLR models as long as there's demand....

At least the EOS to R converter that Canon put out apparently works with all their AF lenses, unlike the one that Nikon created, which apparently doesn't work with the AF-D lenses at all... at least that's what I've heard.
12-31-2021, 11:46 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think Canon is messaging that they aren't planning to continue to develop SLRs indefinitely. It might be five years from now or a little longer, but they aren't developing new lenses for the EOS mount and they aren't going to be creating high end camera bodies for it either.I don't think Canon is saying anything is "dead," but they are saying that they aren't investing much money going forward in SLR development. Their users would be wise to consider if they are comfortable using RP cameras in the future.

My silly prediction is that there's going to be another round of DSLRs in 5 to 10 years. What's old is new and whatnot. A lot of this is marketing driven, the new and shiny thing to push new sales.

Edit: to lean into that a little more, there'll be experts like Tony and Fro Knows back on the DSLR wagon. "These new ones aren't that heavy, optical path rules, much battery life." This is almost a story that writes itself.

Last edited by bobbotron; 12-31-2021 at 12:14 PM.
12-31-2021, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #25
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
My silly prediction is that there's going to be another round of DSLRs in 5 to 10 years. What's old is new and whatnot. A lot of this is marketing driven, the new and shiny thing to push new sales.

Edit: to lean into that a little more, there'll be experts like Tony and Fro Knows back on the DSLR wagon. "These new ones aren't that heavy, optical path rules, much battery life." This is almost a story that writes itself.
You could well be right.

At present, a lot of folks are being convinced that MILCs are simply "better" than DSLRs. For certain functions and use-cases, they certainly can be... but there are use-cases - and, indeed, user preferences - for which DSLRs are superior. It's possible that some MILC fans will realise this and either switch back, or - as I do - maintain both DSLR and MILC systems, using each one when it's most appropriate...
12-31-2021, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
or - as I do - maintain both DSLR and MILC systems, using each one when it's most appropriate...
There's no end to the craziness on PF. Wot's this 'maintain both systems'...? Can't make up yer mind, mate?

- Craig
12-31-2021, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #27
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
There's no end to the craziness on PF. Wot's this 'maintain both systems'...? Can't make up yer mind, mate?
LOL

Well, since you ask, Craig, I'm actually maintaining three systems - DSLR, SLT and mirrorless The DSLR system is all my K-mount Pentax gear - my main "go to" equipment. I could never let go of that, as my preference is for an optical "through the lens" view. The SLT system is my Hasselblad HV, a vanity purchase from a few years back which has evolved into a fully-fledged Sony A-mount / Minolta AF-mount system that I love using, though nothing like so often as my Pentax DSLRs. Then, the mirrorless system is my E-mount A7 MkII which I use primarily for adapted vintage lenses from SLRs, rangefinders and more (due to the short flange focal distance, it works with lenses that neither my K or A-mount systems can), but it also serves as a backup to my Hasselblad HV when used with the LA-EA4 SLT AF adapter.

I do *not* recommend this approach to anyone with an ounce of common sense or limited budget... but it kind of works for me (though my budget is definitely limited!) Ideally, I'd have a much more slimmed-down kit based on my K-mount DSLRs and a MILC with properly-integrated K-mount AF adapter, so I can use it with adapted vintage lenses and K-mount AF glass... but I don't believe such a beast will be available any time soon

So, as you can see, it's quite essential that I have three systems. How could I be expected to manage with fewer? ...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-31-2021 at 01:30 PM.
12-31-2021, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #28
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'd have a much more slimmed-down kit based on my K-mount DSLRs and a MILC with properly-integrated K-mount AF adapter, so I can use it with adapted vintage lenses and K-mount AF glass... but I don't believe such a beast will be available any time soon
Hi Mike, since you have Sony gear do you know about this new adaptor? Review of the adaptor here
12-31-2021, 01:29 PM   #29
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Hi Mike, since you have Sony gear do you know about this new adaptor? Review of the adaptor here
I do, Ross... but thanks for the nod It's a bit of a kludge, from what I've read (see a user report here).

What I'd really like, and what I'm sure won't happen for a long time, if ever, is a K-mount AF adapter - either for E-mount or any other mirrorless platform - that fully and smoothly replicates the K-mount functionality and performance. For that, I'd shell out good money, and I'd be happy to sell my E-mount camera and switch to another brand of MILC if necessary...
12-31-2021, 04:09 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
DSLR is as dead as a Monty Python skit actor.
Think I'll go for a walk. With my camera!