Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2021, 05:23 PM   #1
Forum Member

Tony Northrup: "Canon declares DSLRs are dead"

And Northrup says it's a big mistake.

What do you all think of that?

12-30-2021, 05:29 PM - 12 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Went and checked my KP real quick - it still turned on, I guess Canon is wrong.

Also, I declare this Northrup guy irrelevant - who is he anyways?
12-30-2021, 06:05 PM - 6 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ah YouTube, the platform for nuanced debate. This will say all kinds of things like this, it gets clicks. It is unfortunate as this kind of click bait does drive consumer thought.
12-30-2021, 06:07 PM - 6 Likes   #4
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChucK20D Quote
Tony Northrup: "Canon declares DSLRs are dead"And Northrup says it's a big mistake.What do you all think of that?
I think we should stop valuing the opinions of youtubers. It seems more like Northrup is declaring DSLRs are dead through Canon stating the 1DX mk III will be the last flagship DSLR they offer. Yet Canon released that body just last year and also says it will be a few more years before they're gone from production. So even if it was true, it won't be overnight. He's just creating drama to get a discussion going. Plus Pentax doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Nikon still fields a few DSLRs at the time as well. Lots of DSLRs.

And this is why I say stop valuing the opinions of youtubers. They get paid on views. They get the most views by creating contention and discussion/argument. So they often say controversial statements for the money they make off of them. People will post their videos in threads just like this, which will net them more views and more money.

It's a racket. These multi-millionaire youtubers don't need any more help on extending their wine collections or paying for that 3rd vacation home in the mountains. And we're funding that by discussing their stupid videos.

12-30-2021, 06:17 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
He is the spokesperson, and new face, for the Squarespace web design advertising campaign............
12-30-2021, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not even true. They announced that this was going to be their last professional DSLR. They will still develop and sell lower end DSLRs because there is still "demand overseas" as they put it.

Talk about a strawman. There's a reason I never paid attention to the Northrups.
12-30-2021, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #7
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I admit to watching the video earlier today, and having a smile. Tony referred to the 'clickbait' nature of the video near the beginning .

In the meantime, I will continue to really enjoy using my K-3 III, which most definitely is not 'dead'

12-30-2021, 09:55 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster

Hilarious reply!
12-30-2021, 11:19 PM - 6 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

If I had listened to Tony N. advice or DPReview advice, I'd have switched systems 30 times (~twice a year for the last 15 years), and I'd have spent $200 000 on camera/lenses. The difference between youtube channels and me, is that they don't pay for the gear they review, they keep the gear two or three weeks for the time of the review to tell you that it's the latest best thing since sliced bread and then they send the gear back (or just get it for free from the manufacturer), while us idiots spend our own hard earned money for it.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 12-30-2021 at 11:24 PM.
12-31-2021, 01:23 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
If I had listened to Tony N. advice or DPReview advice, I'd have switched systems 30 times (~twice a year for the last 15 years)
We have a few members who've come pretty close to that, I think One or two have even ended up back with Pentax. The grass ain't always greener...
12-31-2021, 01:39 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I watched that (don't ask me why!) - and I thought the message was a little confused, at best - like DSLRs are finished, but you should still buy one for certain purposes... and as for the over-hyped advantages of mirrorless - yes, that was all the manufacturers, wasn't it - nothing to do with YouTubers...
12-31-2021, 01:49 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do not watch clickbaiters on YT. As said above, they are full of poo and I do not want to fund their next airplane.

Not ignoring YT totally, there are some nice guys there, Kobie for example.

BTW - I always scratch my head when someone "famous" on YT is discussed and I try to figure out who this guy is. Bonus of living in Central Europe
12-31-2021, 02:41 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

it is 10:30pm New Years Eve here in New Zealand, and I have just taken a nice image from my yard of the last sunset of the year here. K-3 III, Zeiss 28/2 (which is a very nice manual focus 'A series' lens), handheld.

I am still very happy with my DSLR, dead or not. I am also very happy with the image quality the K-3 III gives.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
12-31-2021, 03:51 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't watched this particular video, nor will I based on the title - but I continue to find Tony & Chelsea quite entertaining on occasion. They do spout some utter tripe at times, and they're increasingly click-baity... but if you're selective and avoid the obvious click-bait content, take their views with a pinch of salt, treat the information presented with a modicum of caution and make your own mind up rather than blindly accepting (or blindly rejecting) their opinions and recommendations, they can be quite fun to watch... and I'm not too proud to admit I've picked up a few bits of useful knowledge and interesting information from them over time. They're reasonably decent presenters, too, and their production quality is better than most. That's just my humble opinion, of course. Individual tastes clearly differ...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-31-2021 at 07:41 AM.
12-31-2021, 06:16 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Mine also still works.

I’m not sure of Tony’s interpretation - I don’t trust what he seems to say.

added: I still use my K-30 on occasion, even though the two Canon Rebels which preceded it have long been in the dump.

Last edited by reh321; 12-31-2021 at 06:25 AM.