Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2022, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Thank you all, and thank you specifically @Normhead and @BigMackCam Norm and Mike.
Your suggestions set off a discussion and with the ZS100 (TZ100 in our market) not being available and the TZ110 well over budget, the TZ90 ticked all the boxes.
Annie feels she'll never have the need to change lenses, so really a natural progression to consider an integral lens option, which I had not previously considered.

Here's the specs:

https://www.photowarehouse.co.nz/shop/shop-by-product/digital-cameras/point-...BoCnl0QAvD_BwE

Thanks again everyone for your helpful input. As I knew it would be, our Pentax crowd is good for suggesting other makes too. Pity the GR3 is so eye-wateringly expensive.
That's a fantastic choice, Mark

I have the older TZ70 - as does our fellow forum member @Dartmoor Dave; - and it's a cracking little camera.

Should you go ahead with this, and if Annie decides to shoot raw (or if you borrow the camera and do so ), you'll find that the raw files look rather soft at longer focal lengths as the maximum aperture gets smaller, due - I suspect - to diffraction. You'll also see more noise than you're used to - even at base ISO - because of the sensor size and resolution. In fact, you'll wonder how Panasonic makes the JPEGs look so good (because they do). Fret not... For sharpening in Lightroom, set the Masking to 90 or thereabouts (so you don't sharpen the noise), keep the Detail slider low (I actually set it to zero), bump up the Radius to somewhere between 1 and 2 (maybe start around 1.5), and set the Amount as required (around 50 works nicely for me). After that, don't be afraid to use a little luminance noise reduction, perhaps around 25. An alternative approach is to skip the sharpening in Lightroom, apply the noise reduction I suggested, export to Photoshop (I use GIMP instead) and use the Unsharpen Mask to your taste... It works very well and is actually my preference with the TZ70.

It's never going to match DSLR output for larger size reproduction, obviously - but it's capable of good results

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-10-2022 at 03:26 PM.
01-10-2022, 03:18 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
TZ110 well over budget, the TZ90 ticked all the boxes.
I believe that's the one my rocket scientist buddy picked. He just bought his recently, and of course because he's a freaken rocket scientist, was totally independent of my advice. He intentionally never listens to me, (like many forum members) and shocked to discover he'd bought the same brand and similar model to mine. he followed us around, did what we did and got similar results. So similar it actually took us a bit aback.

Here he is, second from the right, with his Lumix taken with my Lumix, which I used that day for convenience. Tell your wife if you buy one that it's the same camera used by a scientist who works for the Canadian space agency. Arny is technically demanding and cheap. What better recommendation could you have?

01-10-2022, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks both of you. Already bought. It should be here in a few days.
01-10-2022, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That's a fantastic choice, Mark

I have the older TZ70 - as does our fellow forum member @Dartmoor Dave; - and it's a cracking little camera.

Should you go ahead with this, and if Annie decides to shoot raw (or if you borrow the camera and do so ), you'll find that the raw files look rather soft at longer focal lengths as the maximum aperture gets smaller, due - I suspect - to diffraction. You'll also see more noise than you're used to - even at base ISO - because of the sensor size and resolution. In fact, you'll wonder how Panasonic makes the JPEGs look so good (because they do). Fret not... For sharpening in Lightroom, set the Masking to 90 or thereabouts (so you don't sharpen the noise), keep the Detail slider low (I actually set it to zero), bump up the Radius to somewhere between 1 and 2 (maybe start around 1.5), and set the Amount as required (around 50 works nicely for me). After that, don't be afraid to use a little luminance noise reduction, perhaps around 25. An alternative approach is to skip the sharpening in Lightroom, apply the noise reduction I suggested, export to Photoshop (I use GIMP instead) and use the Unsharpen Mask to your taste... It works very well and is actually my preference with the TZ70.

It's never going to match DSLR output for larger size reproduction, obviously - but it's capable of good results
Great advice, thanks Mike. I suspect RAW will be rarely used. But, good to know.

01-10-2022, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I believe that's the one my rocket scientist buddy picked. He just bought his recently, and of course because he's a freaken rocket scientist, was totally independent of my advice. He intentionally never listens to me, (like many forum members) and shocked to discover he'd bought the same brand and similar model to mine. he followed us around, did what we did and got similar results. So similar it actually took us a bit aback.

Here he is, second from the right, with his Lumix taken with my Lumix, which I used that day for convenience. Tell your wife if you buy one that it's the same camera used by a scientist who works for the Canadian space agency. Arny is technically demanding and cheap. What better recommendation could you have?

Thanks Norm! "Technically demanding and cheap" sounds like me!
01-10-2022, 07:25 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks both of you. Already bought. It should be here in a few days.
After reading this little story (which has absolutely no relevance to me whatsoever!), I hope you are going to let us all know, after a few days, how your wife took to the final choice, and not leave us all up in the air!

A pic taken by the new camera (after a suitable "getting to know it" period) would nicely finish off this charming little thread!
01-10-2022, 07:44 PM   #22
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
A pic taken by the new camera (after a suitable "getting to know it" period) would nicely finish off this charming little thread!
^^^^ Agree 100%.^^^^.....................

01-10-2022, 08:37 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
After reading this little story (which has absolutely no relevance to me whatsoever!), I hope you are going to let us all know, after a few days, how your wife took to the final choice, and not leave us all up in the air!

For sure. But, it's a birthday present and her birthday is some months off, so you'll have to wait a bit!
01-11-2022, 08:16 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

For sure. But, it's a birthday present and her birthday is some months off, so you'll have to wait a bit!
I think it's people like you that have my wife searching my closets all the time. That and the fact I've occasionally hid a bottle of wine I was saving for special occasions.

"Look, I found a bottle of wine in your closet."
01-11-2022, 09:03 AM   #25
Pentaxian

The Fujifilms are the best option from the bunch and if she wants a better lens later on then Fujifilm have a 35mm f/2 for €200 which is supposed to be fantastic. There are also third-party options these days which include AF options and lots of Chinese manual focus options for very little money. Manual focus on a good mirrorless camera works very well as they allow easily zooming in to check critical focus.
01-11-2022, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But the important question for @MarkJerling: Having saved a bundle from your target budget for the new camera, what lens are you going to buy for your K-1 II?

- Craig
01-11-2022, 09:57 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
The Fujifilms are the best option from the bunch and if she wants a better lens later on then Fujifilm have a 35mm f/2 for €200 which is supposed to be fantastic. There are also third-party options these days which include AF options and lots of Chinese manual focus options for very little money. Manual focus on a good mirrorless camera works very well as they allow easily zooming in to check critical focus.
I'm not sure that would be the way to go for a person who likes taking pictures with her phone. It's a pretty huge departure from what she likes.
01-11-2022, 02:59 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm late to the thread but I'd like to give a big thumbs up of my own to the Lumix TZ/ZS series. I was given a TZ70 for my birthday back in September, and I was surprised to discover that it's a brilliant little camera with absolutely gorgeous colour rendering. Yes, there's noise, but I'm finding that I don't really mind putting up with that in exchange for the beautiful rendering style.

Only problem is, I'm now keen to try out the much more expensive Lumix LX100. That same colour rendering with a bigger and less noisy micro 4/3 sensor sounds like pocket-sized perfection to me.
01-11-2022, 03:02 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
But the important question for @MarkJerling: Having saved a bundle from your target budget for the new camera, what lens are you going to buy for your K-1 II?

- Craig

That will go down like a bag of rocks.
01-11-2022, 03:05 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm not sure that would be the way to go for a person who likes taking pictures with her phone. It's a pretty huge departure from what she likes.
True. Her most important criteria was that it should be small / easy to carry, so that she can easily have it with her. It's the mega zoom function that sealed the deal for her. She likes the idea of being able to use the camera without changing lenses. Even when she shot an SLR she never changed lenses.