Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2022, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I think it's people like you that have my wife searching my closets all the time. That and the fact I've occasionally hid a bottle of wine I was saving for special occasions.

"Look, I found a bottle of wine in your closet."
I hide things high! (I'm a fair bit taller than my wife.)

01-11-2022, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
the TZ90 ticked all the boxes.
Yes,a great choice.

A camera I carry in a car is the TZ80,TZ90 adds a screen that moved up and down.

Panasonic make nice compacts.
01-11-2022, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I'm late to the thread but I'd like to give a big thumbs up of my own to the Lumix TZ/ZS series. I was given a TZ70 for my birthday back in September, and I was surprised to discover that it's a brilliant little camera with absolutely gorgeous colour rendering. Yes, there's noise, but I'm finding that I don't really mind putting up with that in exchange for the beautiful rendering style.

Only problem is, I'm now keen to try out the much more expensive Lumix LX100. That same colour rendering with a bigger and less noisy micro 4/3 sensor sounds like pocket-sized perfection to me.
I own an LX-7 and love Panasonic menus and controls. The LX-7 was my only camera in 2016 in London and Paris. It was well worth its weigh in gold. So the LX100 was my thought for a future travel camera. But my dad ended up with a Sony RX100IV that he fell out of using. I tried it reluctantly. Wow. It was fantastic. Looking at test data it equals the LX100 but is small enough to pocket. So I highly recommend looking at the nicer modern 1” sensor cameras over the LX100. The mk II version of the LX100 might be worth the size difference but I’m not sure. Of course I haven’t used the LX100. I did however own quite a few m43 bodies and lenses (recently sold a bunch) but the RX100 made my m43 kit less relevant to me.
01-12-2022, 02:20 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I own an LX-7 and love Panasonic menus and controls. The LX-7 was my only camera in 2016 in London and Paris. It was well worth its weigh in gold. So the LX100 was my thought for a future travel camera. But my dad ended up with a Sony RX100IV that he fell out of using. I tried it reluctantly. Wow. It was fantastic. Looking at test data it equals the LX100 but is small enough to pocket. So I highly recommend looking at the nicer modern 1” sensor cameras over the LX100. The mk II version of the LX100 might be worth the size difference but I’m not sure. Of course I haven’t used the LX100. I did however own quite a few m43 bodies and lenses (recently sold a bunch) but the RX100 made my m43 kit less relevant to me.

Thanks, that's all helpful info. I've already decided that I'll be upgrading the little TZ70 to a larger sensor compact at some point over the next few months, so first person real world experience is always useful. I'll hit Flickr to look at some RX100 samples.

The thing that's keeping the LX100's nose ahead of the field for me at the moment is the direct shutter speed dial and aperture ring for fully manual exposure. Of course all the other large sensor compacts also give you easy manual control in one way or another, but to my mind you just can't beat an old-fashioned shutter speed dial and aperture ring.

01-12-2022, 05:35 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Thanks, that's all helpful info. I've already decided that I'll be upgrading the little TZ70 to a larger sensor compact at some point over the next few months, so first person real world experience is always useful. I'll hit Flickr to look at some RX100 samples.

The thing that's keeping the LX100's nose ahead of the field for me at the moment is the direct shutter speed dial and aperture ring for fully manual exposure. Of course all the other large sensor compacts also give you easy manual control in one way or another, but to my mind you just can't beat an old-fashioned shutter speed dial and aperture ring.
The rx100 has a control ring on the lens that can be used in many ways including aperture. But it’s not marked as aperture. The lx-7 has an aperture ring. In practice not much difference other than the ability to look at the ring and see how it’s set rather than the EVF or lcd.
01-12-2022, 09:44 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm not sure that would be the way to go for a person who likes taking pictures with her phone. It's a pretty huge departure from what she likes.
I chose that as it's the closest to what she'd have had when she shot film, which I imagine she also enjoyed.