Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2022, 12:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Replacement TLR mirror

I have just acquired a lovely old Zeiss Ikoflex TLR. Everything works fine but the mirror is in a mess. Does anyone know an easy way to re-silver it? I am in the UK so it will have to be a UK solution

02-11-2022, 08:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There’s a guy on ebay named Martin, if I recall correctly, who sells new mirrors for all kinds of TLRs. Very reasonable prices. He’s in the US, so not a UK source, but I’m sure shipping to the UK would be reasonable for a small package like that. I got one for my Rolleiflex, and it’s great quality.

Enjoy that Ikoflex. I’ve heard they’re terrific. Unbelievably well engineered, great lenses.
02-12-2022, 12:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
There’s a guy on ebay named Martin, if I recall correctly, who sells new mirrors for all kinds of TLRs. Very reasonable prices. He’s in the US, so not a UK source, but I’m sure shipping to the UK would be reasonable for a small package like that. I got one for my Rolleiflex, and it’s great quality.

Enjoy that Ikoflex. I’ve heard they’re terrific. Unbelievably well engineered, great lenses.
Thanks I found Martin he is very highly regarded. Sadly shipping is about $30 which would mean I would also be subject to import duty which would add another $15+ on top. Buying from outside the UK is an expensive business.
02-12-2022, 07:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Thanks I found Martin he is very highly regarded. Sadly shipping is about $30 which would mean I would also be subject to import duty which would add another $15+ on top. Buying from outside the UK is an expensive business.

Damn! It sure is. Sorry that’s not going to work out. I belong to a UK-based film photographers group - let me ask the guys where to find one. Stand by….

---------- Post added 12th Feb 2022 at 09:48 ----------

And here you go:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=143667#post143667

Hope they can help you.

Last edited by Viking42; 02-12-2022 at 07:59 AM.
02-12-2022, 08:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Damn! It sure is. Sorry that’s not going to work out. I belong to a UK-based film photographers group - let me ask the guys where to find one. Stand by….

And here you go:

Zeiss Ikoflex mirror - Film and Darkroom User

Hope they can help you.
Utterly brilliant. Thank you. I have managed to source some acrylic mirrors that will get me going but I am going to contact the source in the other forum and either have my original Desilvered or buy a new one. I am also going to join said forum the problem with my search is it kept throwing up answers from 2002
02-12-2022, 08:59 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Happy to help. I checked their recoating prices and they seem very reasonable. Less than 20GBP for small mirrors. Good luck, and have fun with that camera.
02-12-2022, 10:15 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

And here you go:

Zeiss Ikoflex mirror - Film and Darkroom User

Hope they can help you.

02-12-2022, 12:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote

Hey! Great to hear that. Nice and very helpful bunch over there. An absolute wealth of knowledge on all things film. Happy that you joined.