Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2022, 01:34 PM   #16
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I think you boys have strayed from the topic a bit, eh?

02-16-2022, 04:53 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I think I could make an argument that an inexpensive fast 50 makes just as much sense today as it did in the film days. Although it might be for different reasons.

On an apsc A fast 50 makes a nice portrait lens that allows shallow depth of field. Rather than being the normal angle of view
02-16-2022, 08:35 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
I think I could make an argument that an inexpensive fast 50 makes just as much sense today as it did in the film days. Although it might be for different reasons.

On an apsc A fast 50 makes a nice portrait lens that allows shallow depth of field. Rather than being the normal angle of view
Remember the facts of the case:

1. this lens was asked for a neophyte, one with no stated interest in portraits.

2. Canon has had an inexpensive 50mm EF-mount lens for many, many years.
I don't remember the details any more. but I purchased the Canon lens in the picture below around 1995 for my film camera.
If I had photographed the mount side, you would see that it is one of the few lenses I own which has a plastic mount.
I don't remember the exact circumstances of the occasion {I think I was in downtown Indy anyway}, but I believe Roberts had a container of them - they weren't under glass.
When Canon says "for APS-C", they mean "EF-S" mount, just as Pentax means "DA".
Since Canon already had an inexpensive 50mm lens that would already fit a Rebel. they had no reason to make an "EF-S" mount one.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
02-16-2022, 08:51 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Now that I really think about it, I would expect few "EF-S" prime lenses.
During the twenty years I used Canon, I hardly ever heard of a 'serious' photographer using a Rebel and I hardly ever heard of anyone using prime lenses.
Canon got to "FF" digital cameras much earlier than Pentax did, and the "EF" mount is where they have shown shown their primary interest.
"EF-S" and "Rebel" bodies have seemed more like a money-making hobby to them.

02-16-2022, 04:16 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Remember the facts of the case:

1. this lens was asked for a neophyte, one with no stated interest in portraits.

2. Canon has had an inexpensive 50mm EF-mount lens for many, many years.
I don't remember the details any more. but I purchased the Canon lens in the picture below around 1995 for my film camera.
If I had photographed the mount side, you would see that it is one of the few lenses I own which has a plastic mount.
I don't remember the exact circumstances of the occasion {I think I was in downtown Indy anyway}, but I believe Roberts had a container of them - they weren't under glass.
When Canon says "for APS-C", they mean "EF-S" mount, just as Pentax means "DA".
Since Canon already had an inexpensive 50mm lens that would already fit a Rebel. they had no reason to make an "EF-S" mount one.
We don't really know what the photographer desires the op questioned that there wasn't a fast 50. We pointed out that there is in the ef. No one is saying that canon should make an efs 50 it is covered by the fast ef.

A fast 50is often recommend to new shooters because the are cheap and they introduce the shooter to being able to bet a shallow depth of field. As you pointed out they are really inexpensive Roberts didn't keep them secured.
02-17-2022, 11:21 AM   #21
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
We don't really know what the photographer desires the op questioned that there wasn't a fast 50. We pointed out that there is in the ef. No one is saying that canon should make an efs 50 it is covered by the fast ef.

A fast 50is often recommend to new shooters because the are cheap and they introduce the shooter to being able to bet a shallow depth of field. As you pointed out they are really inexpensive Roberts didn't keep them secured.
I only mentioned there isn’t a 50mm lens available, never stated a fast 50.

The comment was more about the lack of fixed focal length lenses, including a standard size.

The biggest hurdle will be to get my niece to take a deep breath, relax, and focus on composition and lighting.
02-17-2022, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I only mentioned there isn’t a 50mm lens available, never stated a fast 50.
When I opened the B&H "SLR lenses" pages for "Canon" just now,

I was greeted 1st by an EF 50mm f/1.8 lens {$125}, 4th by an EF f/1.4 lens {$399}, and 5th by an EF f/1.2L lens {$1399}.
These are all perfectly usable on a 'Rebel'.

added:
Canon users have no shortage of lens options.

Last edited by reh321; 02-17-2022 at 12:16 PM.
02-17-2022, 01:36 PM   #23
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
When I opened the B&H "SLR lenses" pages for "Canon" just now,

I was greeted 1st by an EF 50mm f/1.8 lens {$125}, 4th by an EF f/1.4 lens {$399}, and 5th by an EF f/1.2L lens {$1399}.
These are all perfectly usable on a 'Rebel'.

added:
Canon users have no shortage of lens options.
True, there seems to be a number of choices, but I doubt a neophyte will have skills suitable for a lens that costs $1,399.
02-17-2022, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
What's she actually needing with a new lens; faster, more focal lengths covered, better general IQ? I doubt the kit 18-55 is all that great but it's hard to know what to recommend without more info. Is she okay with buying new or reconditioned lenses? Has she used a prime lens much and can zoom with her feet? What's her budget?
My daughter did the same thing, she's showed me her Canon, but it went right back in the closet after she showed it to me. We however have many fine images taken with her phone.
02-17-2022, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
True, there seems to be a number of choices, but I doubt a neophyte will have skills suitable for a lens that costs $1,399.
S/he could also choose the one costing $125.
Many more modern choices than Pentax provides.

Last edited by reh321; 02-17-2022 at 02:33 PM.
02-17-2022, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

S/he could also choose the one costing $125.
Many more modern choices than Pentax provides.
You obviously didn't do the same for Pentax... DA 50 1.8 $116. DAL 35 2.4 $146. DA $18-55 WR $183

Canon 18-55- $269 and not WR.

If Pentax has one you need, how many more the other company has in the same focal length is moot.

Last edited by normhead; 02-17-2022 at 07:25 PM.
02-18-2022, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #27
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You obviously didn't do the same for Pentax... DA 50 1.8 $116. DAL 35 2.4 $146. DA $18-55 WR $183

Canon 18-55- $269 and not WR.

If Pentax has one you need, how many more the other company has in the same focal length is moot.

But this discussion isn't about Pentax lenses.

It is about lens options for a neophyte Canon owner.