Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2022, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
With so many dumping MFT for larger formats and more stable brands, there's good deal in used lenses to be had.
I checked again, and my main issue is, the optimal starting point with just the right feature set for photo and video, the EM1 Mkii, is still going for 650-750 euros used!

It's probably a fair price for what you get, but a little bit much to play around with as a 2nd set of gear. Maybe once the OM-1 has been out for a while it'll be a good time to start looking at the EM1 mkii

02-18-2022, 07:03 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pimpim Quote
I checked again, and my main issue is, the optimal starting point with just the right feature set for photo and video, the EM1 Mkii, is still going for 650-750 euros used!

It's probably a fair price for what you get, but a little bit much to play around with as a 2nd set of gear. Maybe once the OM-1 has been out for a while it'll be a good time to start looking at the EM1 mkii
The em-1 mk II and iii were on my radar for a long time until my recent exit from m43. (I just boxed up the gx7 and 45-175 for shipment). The cameras are jewels and as the process fall on those models I’d say go for it.
02-21-2022, 08:02 AM   #18

just for fun have been looking at an olympus camera and lens as a gimbal-less video rig. Olympus life is not for people on a budget. Basically the starting point is the EM5 mkiii, to get the 5-axis stabilization and phase detect AF, with some lens combos you're at EUR 1600. The best-image-stabilization-on-the-planet config em1 mkiii and 12-100 f4 IS is EUR 2800. There's a 1000 eur discount on the em1x making it similarly priced but that is a ridiculous form factor for m4/3 and inconvenient for video. Compared to the FF flagships it is a lot cheaper and you still get that fancy MILC AF and very good stabilization in a relatively compact overall package. It's probably worth it, just have to get that idea out of my head that m4/3 is a toy system Second hand prices are holding up pretty well as well.

Maybe, maybe, if they trickle down phase AF to an EM10 mark V there'll be a fun starter camera.
02-21-2022, 11:11 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Basically the starting point is the EM5 mkiii, to get the 5-axis stabilization and phase detect AF,
The first edition, starts with both those features.Very cheap to buy too.

Edit,correction here.mk one and two of em5 use contrast detect AF.Its fine,works pretty good.I own and use both models.

For anyone thinking of a CHeeeeeeP entry into M43 I'd point them in the EM5 mk 1 direction.For 150 body only or 250 with a 12-50.Its a 5 axis stabilised ,weather sealed kit.Fast enough, nice Jpeg colours in some of the filter and some filters look better than the Fuji counterparts.

Add a 75-300mm and its 2 lens kit that covers 24-600 FOV.

Last edited by surfar; 02-22-2022 at 09:31 PM.
02-21-2022, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
One more dance with Pentax

Well, my initial excitement did lead to a camera purchase- a used K-3 lll, from this forum. I did visit a local camera store to handle an OM-D Mk ll they had. I loved everything about the little camera, the grip feel, the metallic accents, and the overall size. Then I walked outside into brilliant sunlight and looked through the EVF. It was big, sharp and comfortable, but what it showed me was not very inspiring. Shadows and highlights were blocked up and blank. A test shot of this wide-range scene showed impressive highlight and shadow recovery, but it was still shy of the adjustability of a Pentax image. New EVFs may get additional pixels and faster response, but I doubt they will ever depict the full brightness range of Colorado sunlight. It's probably not even on their wish list, because Tokyo doesn't ever look like that. An EVF is and artificial light source, and those have their brightness limits.

So I'll soon be rocking a K-3 lll. First I have to see if it makes me want to put aside my K-1 ll. Then, when I can test drive an OM-1 and read all the tests and reviews, I can make a better decision.
02-21-2022, 12:08 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, my initial excitement did lead to a camera purchase- a used K-3 lll, from this forum. I did visit a local camera store to handle an OM-D Mk ll they had. I loved everything about the little camera, the grip feel, the metallic accents, and the overall size. Then I walked outside into brilliant sunlight and looked through the EVF. It was big, sharp and comfortable, but what it showed me was not very inspiring. Shadows and highlights were blocked up and blank. A test shot of this wide-range scene showed impressive highlight and shadow recovery, but it was still shy of the adjustability of a Pentax image. New EVFs may get additional pixels and faster response, but I doubt they will ever depict the full brightness range of Colorado sunlight. It's probably not even on their wish list, because Tokyo doesn't ever look like that. An EVF is and artificial light source, and those have their brightness limits.

So I'll soon be rocking a K-3 lll. First I have to see if it makes me want to put aside my K-1 ll. Then, when I can test drive an OM-1 and read all the tests and reviews, I can make a better decision.
Did you try the EVF in "S-OVF" mode, which is supposed to simulate an OVF?
03-20-2022, 07:35 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I can’t speak for the OM-1 but the DR was my hang up on buying more into the OMD system and I instead went the Z mirrorless route. I have an OMD EM10 ii and that form factor with the smaller lenses is an amazing travel kit, but the sensor is limited by a couple stops in bright contrasts conditions. When I looked at the physical size of the OMD EM1 line vs the Z5 i ended up going with Z5 as they aren’t much different. The Z is pretty compact with the 24-200 and some primes for travel. Not OMD compact but not terrible. The FF sensor has top of the line DR in comparison. No contest for speed in frame rate between those though.

The OMD’s have a couple features like procapture and livecomposite (livebulb is great too) that are really valuable tools. Livecomposite makes capturing lighting extremely easy and a lot of fun. Something that would be a lot of work on other cameras involving triggers or luck.

I was disappointed that the EM 5 iii is all plastic, as the EM10 ii is magnesium. Seems strange that they went a cheaper route on that more expensive body. They did the same for later EM10’s as well. Probably that was last minute cost cutting to try and stay afloat.

The other issue as a couple have mentioned is Olympus/OM solutions high end lenses are not at all inexpensive. They’re up there with top shelve FF lenses in price.

I still think the OM 10 line with the cheaper lenses like the super inexpensive 40-150 at $199 for example are a great deal. I have a 25mm, 45mm prime, 12-60, 40-150 set with an EM10ii and it fits in a small padded rectangle case that’s about the size of a Pentax APS-C with a 16-50 on it.

I wish that had leaned into that small form factor as that was the advantage. I guess the telephoto’s still have that but the cost is painful.

The OM10 with a 300mm eq 40-150 is tiny and featherlight, it’s also about $700. Or with a 75-300 (150-600 eq) that would be a 1000 dollar birding combo if you can work with the OM 10’s AF system.

Last edited by LeeRunge; 03-20-2022 at 07:45 AM.
09-19-2022, 12:15 PM   #23

Did anyone ever get one of these?
09-19-2022, 02:04 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GreenRich Quote
anyone ever get one
We are holding out for the OM5,same sensor as the OM1 is all I know at this stage, the price will be a lot nicer.

5 series is single card slot and very compact, great cameras for portability.
09-19-2022, 03:56 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I left m43 behind as a decision to reduce to only two systems.

But even when I was active I typically stuck a few years from the latest flagship. So when the EM1 mk iii was out I had an EM1 mk1.
09-21-2022, 12:49 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I don’t have the EM1 but I did pick up a 75-300 and use it with my OM 10ii. I’ll probably sell my Sigma 150-600 just because it’s so large it never really gets used, same with my Pentax 60-250. That OMD combo is tiny and actually goes with me despite the sensor and AF not being top of the line. It still takes really nice shots. I can’t emphasize how small it is compared to the full frame of that focal length. I can easily keep my Z5 and 24-200 with the EM10 and 75-300 in my small motorcycle tank bag and have 24-600mm covered without a huge lens to bring around. And that EM10 combo basically costs the same as the FF lens alone.

I will probably get an EM1 or the ii/iii at some point just to use with that lens. It’s not a fast lens light wise but the OMD’s have some of the best stabilization out there.

Then again I just love the bang for the buck of the EM 10 line and the non pro lenses. You really do get a lot out of them for the price.
09-21-2022, 01:08 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I will probably get an EM1 or the ii/iii
The third edition is worth the extra $,but the II is still an excellent camera.

Lots are waiting for the OM5,apparently theres a delay.With the price of the OM1 down to the equivalent of U$1960,the OM5 price needs to better it by a fair margin.

I'm thinking the OM5 will sell well @ U$ 1500ish.
09-21-2022, 07:24 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I don’t have the EM1 but I did pick up a 75-300 and use it with my OM 10ii. I’ll probably sell my Sigma 150-600 just because it’s so large it never really gets used, same with my Pentax 60-250. That OMD combo is tiny and actually goes with me despite the sensor and AF not being top of the line. It still takes really nice shots. I can’t emphasize how small it is compared to the full frame of that focal length. I can easily keep my Z5 and 24-200 with the EM10 and 75-300 in my small motorcycle tank bag and have 24-600mm covered without a huge lens to bring around. And that EM10 combo basically costs the same as the FF lens alone.

I will probably get an EM1 or the ii/iii at some point just to use with that lens. It’s not a fast lens light wise but the OMD’s have some of the best stabilization out there.

Then again I just love the bang for the buck of the EM 10 line and the non pro lenses. You really do get a lot out of them for the price.
The EM1 mk1 was good but the II and III offer the 20mp sensor that the mk1 lacks. The differences between the mkii and mkiii: https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/preview/olympus-omd-em1-ii-vs-em1-iii/

One thing I don't think I would like is the movement of the menu button to the top left. I hate that position which is where it is on my Sony. I haven't used it on the EM1 mkIII having never shot that camera - but I hate hate hate the position on my Sony.
09-22-2022, 04:00 AM   #29

I was reviewing some videos I made with an old Fuji last year, and thought I probably need to have a camera that can do gimbal-like video...

And checking the comparison videos it's apparently Olympus that is blowing everyone out of the water, even the double stabilized Panasonic doesn't look as smooth. Maybe Sony can fake being as good as Olympus with the gyro data if you run everything through catalyst, requiring extra steps on a computer that can run that.

So, being years ahead of all competitition in stable video, OM systems decides to market their new camera to some super niche subgroup within wildlife photography, instead of as a run and gun video tool ...
OM Systems management must be worse than Pentax
09-22-2022, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was reviewing some videos I made with an old Fuji last year, and thought I probably need to have a camera that can do gimbal-like video...

And checking the comparison videos it's apparently Olympus that is blowing everyone out of the water, even the double stabilized Panasonic doesn't look as smooth. Maybe Sony can fake being as good as Olympus with the gyro data if you run everything through catalyst, requiring extra steps on a computer that can run that.

So, being years ahead of all competitition in stable video, OM systems decides to market their new camera to some super niche subgroup within wildlife photography, instead of as a run and gun video tool ...
OM Systems management must be worse than Pentax
OM is so new I expect they will fall on their faces a few times before it gets better.