Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2022, 02:13 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Canon 5D mk ii SooC

So, Youtuber Omar Gonzalez recently made a video about a used Canon 5D mk ii, which made me thinking, would it make an alternative to a K1 for adding a full frame DSLR to one's kit?

It's (less than) half the price of a used K1 basically. Also plenty of EF lens offerings around.

What was good for basically every wedding photographer 10 years ago should be not too bad, right?

How are the SooC images of the 5D mkii?

02-18-2022, 06:56 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check Flickr for the SOOC keyword and model perhaps?
02-18-2022, 07:07 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Check Flickr for the SOOC keyword and model perhaps?
yeah tried that, thing is that this shows quite a few uploads from back in the early 2010s, so lower res uploads or where people still photoshopped the hell out of their JPEGs and called it SooC anyway

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion I took a second look and it seems promising. Getting focus right will be the hardest part probably, but for a low-cost full frame set-up it might be fun.
02-18-2022, 08:18 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pimpim Quote
yeah tried that, thing is that this shows quite a few uploads from back in the early 2010s, so lower res uploads or where people still photoshopped the hell out of their JPEGs and called it SooC anyway

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion I took a second look and it seems promising. Getting focus right will be the hardest part probably, but for a low-cost full frame set-up it might be fun.
Do you already have some Pentax FF-compatible lenses? Factor in a couple for Canon.

I came really close to buying a Nikon Z5 to add to my repertoire. After looking at the total cost for the camera, even refurbished plus just two quality lenses, it just didn't make sense for the relatively minor benefits I'd be getting over my already very good Pentax stuff.

By sticking to one manufacturer you can afford far better gear than by mixing and matching and duplicating for two. Not getting the Nikon allowed me to spend on pro-grade glass for my Pentax's and still save money overall. If being thrifty is your goal I'd suggest buying a K1 which will cost you $900 or thereabouts. If the money is less important than the fun of playing with a different brand I'd say go for the Canon. I'm seeing them at readily available at $500 give or take so certainly cheap enough for the body itself.

Last edited by gatorguy; 02-18-2022 at 08:36 AM.
02-18-2022, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would recommend the K1 as well, great points from gator guy. I went down this path...

A K1 with battery grip can be found sometimes for around 900, sell the grip and you are more in the ~800 for one of the best full frame sensors in a dlsr along with all the amazing Pentax ergonomics, features, ibis, weather sealing that work with your existing lenses.

On the flip side you could go all budget and get a 5D classic and 50 1.8 for 200-350. 😀
02-18-2022, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Older DSLRs like that also make for a good IR converted camera to add to one's kit.
02-19-2022, 12:16 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the 5D mark I tip!

That is an interesting route. 12 mp so a nice pixel pitch and more than large enough for prints. No bells and whistles to distract or invite to invest in expanding the system. I would see it as a classic full frame experience, replacement for an analog film camera body. It has CMOS so I guess less chance on sensor rot than the CCDs often used in that era. Apparently it can accept m42 and k mount.

02-19-2022, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just dumped my 5DMarkII. The color was always "meh". As if Beige was the most intense color it could shoot. It needed lots of tweaking in post. Build quality was good. The K1 is miles better.
02-19-2022, 12:51 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Just dumped my 5DMarkII. The color was always "meh". As if Beige was the most intense color it could shoot. It needed lots of tweaking in post. Build quality was good. The K1 is miles better.
That Canon Beige put a stamp on about a decade of what was considered to be professional pictures Wedding? Beige it out! Family shooting? Beige or nothing!
Read that basically using ISO beyond 800 also required post processing. Not looking forward to that, K1 probably closer to what I want from SooC.
02-19-2022, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That Canon Beige put a stamp on about a decade of what was considered to be professional pictures Wedding? Beige it out! Family shooting? Beige or nothing!
Exactly! The only good color was... beige. So, if you like to travel to beaches and sand dunes... Go for it.
Read that basically using ISO beyond 800 also required post processing. Not looking forward to that, K1 probably closer to what I want from SooC.
Yes. It got very noisy beyond 800. Shooting over 1000, especially 1600+ was really disappointing. I look back on what I shot with it over the years, and results were dull. It was a bit better at low light than the 5D Mark III with the small pixels. It was a very reliable camera though.