Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2022, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Is the adaptation process reversible?

It would be a shame to think that Pentax alone has kept their mount consistent for nearly 50 years and even still supports m42, yet all the old pentax glass may be irreversibly converted off brand. 🥺
Yes. Sony has a short flange focal length and simple hollow tube adapters can provide the additional distance and mount conversion. These are like adding a camera mount on an extension tube. They typically do no harm to lens or camera.

---------- Post added 03-13-22 at 08:26 AM ----------

Affordable manual lenses for the Sony Alpha 7,7r,7ii,7rii and 7s - phillipreeve.net

There’s other good advice there as well.

03-13-2022, 08:33 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Are you sure you want a vintage lens? Vintage UWA lenses are often rare and can be expensive.
An adavantage of the shorter register distance of E-mount is that UWA lenses do not have to be as complex design as lenses designed for SLR.

There are some nice UWA lenses for E-mount that may cost less than old vintage UWA.

Tamron 20/2.8 is often is sold at below $300. (B&H has it for $249 right now) It also has some interesting features with 1:2 Macro and weather sealing.
Review Tamron 20mm F/2.8 Di III OSD M1:2 (Model F050) for Sony FE - CameraStuff Review
Thanks for your recommendation. I prefer the build quality, handling, and compactness of vintage lenses. You're right the prices of older glass are getting out of hand. I know most of these sellers buy them in thrift stores for $5-$10 dollars, and mark them up for rediculous prices. I certainly won't be paying a grand to some price gouging opportunistic swine.

---------- Post added 03-13-22 at 08:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
A quick look on eBay shows numerous examples in Poland, Czech Republic, Latvia, Italy, the USA and even Japan... but, my, the prices have shot up 100%+ since I bought mine I paid GBP £130 including shipping a few years back for a mint, allegedly unused example, and I deliberated for quite a while even at that price - though in retrospect I'd say it was worth it. Now, though, it seems sellers are asking "collector" money for them It's a very good lens, but you can probably do just as well with something else and spend a lot less...
I should have looked more deeply into the listings. You're right about the prices, and I'm not sure I feel entirely comfortable paying that amount for a Russian lens that may have strong variance issues. While I could afford it, I'd be taking a gamble.

---------- Post added 03-13-22 at 09:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Define vintage. What does that mean to you? Price, image look, …
Zeiss 21 will do the job. Available for Contax mount and in newer mounts.
There are many threads about image drawing capabilities of older lenses - sharp from edge to edge is a fairly new criterion. Flektogon was old 20 years ago, no 30 years ago, will it be sharp edge to edge on digital, I doubt it.
Voigtländer has some nice vintage looking lenses for E-mount.
I have a strong predilection for vintage lenses. I prefer the build quality, handling, compactness, and character.
I was initially going to go with a Loxia 21mm for $400.00, but the seller was being dodgy. Than someone from another forum offered to sell me one for $600.00, but it had some internal issue with crease smearing underneath the optic. They claimed that it wouldn't affect image quality. I didn't believe them, so that was a pass. I feel sorry for whoever buys it. As he is listing it as "excellent condition". I want something with good dimensionality and micro-contrast. If it can produce nice sun stars that's a plus. Although it isn't top priority as I like to capture the sun as I see it sometimes. Upon looking at the price of the Zeiss contax you mentioned. I'd have to pass on that one. I don't agree with paying 2 grand for a vintage lens. For that amount I could buy a GM. No offense to you in anyway. I kindly appreciate the recommendation though.

---------- Post added 03-13-22 at 09:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Davep Quote
You specify vintage wide angle, however, if you want to consider current lenses, I've got the Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 and it partners with the Sony A7 series incredibly well. (I also have the Loxia 50 f2.0, and plan to buy the 85 f2.4. My body is the original A7.) There is a Loxia 24mm if the 21 is a little too wide for you. However used Loxia's can be pricey.
Hello, thanks for the recommendation. I had the chance of buying a Loxia 21mm for $400.00. The seller was being dodgy with questions, and didn't want to provide proper photos of a flashlight test. I was offered one for $600.00, but had to decline as it had internal crease smearing on the edges of the front element. I've heard good things about the Loxia 25mm. With some claiming that it is better than the 21. I thought of the CV 21 F/1.4. However, I don't need that aperture for landscape. It also doesn't perform to well with coma for astrophotography.
03-17-2022, 04:40 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Canon FD 20/2.8 if want something rather 'cheap' (big, heavy, clunky to mount, but good stopped down for an old 20mm )
Pentax K28/3.5, if its 'bad' then ok... nothing else to recommend
Pentax M20/4 , specially compact for a SLR 20mm (really nice if you value having a UWA rather than ultimate sharpness )

Otherwise, just get something newer like a Voigtlander 21/1.8 or 15/4.5 Heliar III

If 28mm is wide enough, you might consider an Orion-15 6/28 rangefinder lens in Russian L39 mount. It's superb for landscape and architectural photography - and properly vintage, with the first versions dating back to the 1940s. Of all my Soviet lenses, it's one of my favourites. Small, very nicely built, and optically excellent, especially considering its age.

According to allphotolenses.com:
Surprised by this being mentioned.
As far as I know, it has vignetting and smeary edges on A7 series on cameras.
03-17-2022, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Surprised by this being mentioned.
As far as I know, it has vignetting and smeary edges on A7 series on cameras.
Not on my A7 MkII it doesn't

The Jupiter-12 2.8/35 and Russar MP-2 5.6/20 (and later Russar+ reissue) both suffer from light fall-off, colour shift and smearing on the A7 series (and other mirrorless cameras) due to the extreme angle of light from the rear element hitting the borders and corners of the Bayer filter and sensor micro-lenses (I get some colour shift in the corners with the Mir-20M 3.5/20 too, in certain conditions, but that's a flare issue and completely different... I've even seen it on some 35mm film shots). With the Orion-15 6/28, the rear element sits way forward of the sensor, so the angle of light to the borders and corners is rather moderate... hence, it doesn't suffer the same problems as the J12 and Russar. It performs very well indeed on my A7 MkII... no issues at all; and I've never read of anything other than positive experiences from others... regarding optical performance, at least. Some folks wish it was faster, others don't like the front-recessed aperture control... but few have anything bad to say about it optically on film or digital.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-17-2022 at 07:28 AM.
03-17-2022, 08:01 AM   #20
Pentaxian

You need to get yourself to Japan and track down the guy with the only known copy of the K 20mm f/1.4...

---------- Post added 17-03-22 at 04:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
You need to get yourself to Japan and track down the guy with the only known copy of the K 20mm f/1.4...

In seriousness, vintage ultra-wides are generally known for their soft corners and lack of contrast so this might be tough.
03-17-2022, 07:04 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not on my A7 MkII it doesn't

The Jupiter-12 2.8/35 and Russar MP-2 5.6/20 (and later Russar+ reissue) both suffer from light fall-off, colour shift and smearing on the A7 series (and other mirrorless cameras) due to the extreme angle of light from the rear element hitting the borders and corners of the Bayer filter and sensor micro-lenses (I get some colour shift in the corners with the Mir-20M 3.5/20 too, in certain conditions, but that's a flare issue and completely different... I've even seen it on some 35mm film shots). With the Orion-15 6/28, the rear element sits way forward of the sensor, so the angle of light to the borders and corners is rather moderate... hence, it doesn't suffer the same problems as the J12 and Russar. It performs very well indeed on my A7 MkII... no issues at all; and I've never read of anything other than positive experiences from others... regarding optical performance, at least. Some folks wish it was faster, others don't like the front-recessed aperture control... but few have anything bad to say about it optically on film or digital.
Thanks for the information.
I passed on it years ago when I first got my A7.
Too late now since it costs much more now.