Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2022, 10:30 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
How do you like the procapture?

I find livecomposite to be a lot of fun with lightning.

I came very very close to getting the OMD EM1 ii or iii with the 12-100 instead of the Z5 with the 24-200. The sensor experience on my EM10ii is what held me back. Dynamic range is a bit tight on that one and it wasn’t looking much better on the newer 20mp sensor. Otherwise I really like the OMD’s.

Livebulb, livecomposite and procapture are really killer features. And nobody beats them for IBIS plus in lens stabilization. What is it like 8.5 stops or something with both?

That’s from my OMD EM 10 ii with the dirt cheap 40-150 set off via my cell phone from a safe distance, those crabs are fast and tiny. Think the size of a dime.

That $199 dollar 40-150 is a great lens for what it costs. I paid $99 for it new.
All the features are great,I'm selling off om5 and limited edition om5mk 2 and PenF,Keeping em10mk 3 and pans GM1.So a big range of capability.More may go, as Ive a newish(last year) Sony compact thats surprised me how good it is.I'm consolidating what I have and making sure I have a near top of range body in most systems.

With the pro lenses the stabe is rated 7.5 but 7 with all the other glass.I have basic zooms with neat f1.7/8 primes

---------- Post added 03-20-22 at 04:37 PM ----------

I paid $99 for it new.
Great results for 100, most owners would like the Pro level glass but I cant justify it as its not a main system.The 150-400 is the birder$$$ len$$$ but I get by with the cheaper end.

03-20-2022, 08:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I’d say if you don’t need WR another amazing combo for the price for wildlife would be the OMD EM10 ii and up line with a 75-300 4.8-6.7. That gives you 8.5+ fps with a 121 point AF system and a 150-600mm eq focal length.

Weight would be 813 grams and price about $1050. It’s also extremely compact. I think that AF system would outperform the K-70 even though it’s contrast detect based. I’ve owned the K7/5/3 and the K-70 seems to be a mix of the K-5 series and a bit newer safox for AF, the OMD EM10ii definitely outperforms the K-5 and 7 for autofocus, and the K-3 until it gets pretty dark and then the contrast system isn’t as good, so after dark basically when you won’t be shooting wildlife anyway.

Honorable mention to that setup for it’s range/price and weight.

It’s EVF based but a fun camera to shoot with. And I can’t emphasize enough how portable they are.

The 40-150 is a cheap underrated lens. It’s very good for that price punching way above what you’d expect, it’s also a feather for weight and tiny.

The dimensions are also tiny, it’s about 165mm/6.5 inches long with the body attached for a 600mm telephoto, that’s packs well for outdoors. I looked at the K-70 and it’s about 185mm/7.3 inches for a 450mm eq focal length, also good but the oly is hard to beat for compactness.

Last edited by LeeRunge; 03-20-2022 at 08:28 AM.
03-20-2022, 08:59 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
It’s EVF based but a fun camera to shoot with. And I can’t emphasize enough how portable they are.
Looks great. I'm not sure I'm ready too accept 4/3 but it's has some interesting features. And I'm happy enough with my 1 inch sensor... to think I'd be OK with the IQ.
03-20-2022, 09:08 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Looks great. I'm not sure I'm ready too accept 4/3 but it's has some interesting features. And I'm happy enough with my 1 inch sensor... to think I'd be OK with the IQ.
This past week we visited a local park, and I got very tired just lugging my KP and 55-300 PLM.
I’m thinking of taking my Q-S1 on future similar jaunts, but I’m not certain about the manual focus and Hoodman aspects,
so I may have to consider MFT out of ‘necessity’.

03-20-2022, 09:15 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This past week we visited a local park, and I got very tired just lugging my KP and 55-300 PLM.
I’m thinking of taking my Q-S1 on future similar jaunts, but I’m not certain about the manual focus and Hoodman aspects,
We have never understood why we don't use our Q more. We just never bonded with it.
03-20-2022, 10:07 AM   #21
Veteran Member

We have never understood why we don't use our Q more. We just never bonded with it.
That happened to me with the Sony RX100. Super capable pocket camera but for some weird reason I just found it missing something to shoot with. I don’t know if it was the menu’s or the colors but I just never had much fun with it. iPhone’s kinda doing that to me as well. Super capable but I still rather use the other cameras. That interface is just off-putting to use. I appreciate that it’s always with me though and it’s a monster in certain low light situations.

M43 is more fun and it’s pretty affordable, if you can find a used EM10ii or beyond and one of those 75-300’s on the used market you probably can snag that combo for 500-700 pretty easily. It’s very lightweight.

I can relate to some camera’s just lacking something fun that makes them technically great, but enjoyment wise something is off.

Because of that RX100 I overlooked the Panasonic versions, but I should revisit because they do make a pretty well priced variant with a huge zoom range that would be nice in a pocket camera. Iphones work great technically, but they still lack any real zoom range and I just miss the buttons/ergo’s and viewfinders.

---------- Post added 03-20-2022 at 10:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If you can borrow a EM10 series you may really like it. I don’t have the high end lenses but the very inexpensive kit and zooms really do offer a lot of quality for images at a very low price point. Used it’s even better.

The 40-150 and 14-42 kit both produce good results considering how inexpensive they are. And the 25 and 45mm (45mm is very nice optically) are super small and light.

These are some shot I took with the EM10 with the kit 14-42 and a inexpensive 12-50. All on lenses that are sub 300 dollars.

Last edited by LeeRunge; 03-20-2022 at 10:24 AM.
03-20-2022, 01:31 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I don’t use my “Q” more for several reasons
1. no viewfinder
2. adapter doesn’t carry signals that would allow a KAF3 lens to focus
3. frankly no vision beyond it’s use by teen-age Japanese wome

I have purchased two of them - I purchased a Q-S1 when my Q-7 started showing it’s age -
but instead of purchasing one from a Japanese merchant of used goods, I would have purchased
several by now from Pentax if they had displayed {my} vision.

added: I originally got the Q-7 as a “birding” camera, but difficulties in MF mostly ended that when I got the 24mp KP and the 1.4X TC,
but by that time it had established a place for itself as a camera I could take photos with discretely indoors, but it would be so much more
useful to me if it had #1 and #2 above. It’s lenses are rather limited, but I supplement them with K- mount lenses, which is my thinking behind #2.

Last edited by reh321; 03-20-2022 at 02:43 PM.
03-21-2022, 07:55 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That happened to me with the Sony RX100. Super capable pocket camera but for some weird reason I just found it missing something to shoot with. I don’t know if it was the menu’s or the colors but I just never had much fun with it. iPhone’s kinda doing that to me as well. Super capable but I still rather use the other cameras. That interface is just off-putting to use. I appreciate that it’s always with me though and it’s a monster in certain low light situations.

M43 is more fun and it’s pretty affordable, if you can find a used EM10ii or beyond and one of those 75-300’s on the used market you probably can snag that combo for 500-700 pretty easily. It’s very lightweight.

I can relate to some camera’s just lacking something fun that makes them technically great, but enjoyment wise something is off.

Because of that RX100 I overlooked the Panasonic versions, but I should revisit because they do make a pretty well priced variant with a huge zoom range that would be nice in a pocket camera. Iphones work great technically, but they still lack any real zoom range and I just miss the buttons/ergo’s and viewfinders.

---------- Post added 03-20-2022 at 10:17 AM ----------

If you can borrow a EM10 series you may really like it. I don’t have the high end lenses but the very inexpensive kit and zooms really do offer a lot of quality for images at a very low price point. Used it’s even better.

The 40-150 and 14-42 kit both produce good results considering how inexpensive they are. And the 25 and 45mm (45mm is very nice optically) are super small and light.

These are some shot I took with the EM10 with the kit 14-42 and a inexpensive 12-50. All on lenses that are sub 300 dollars.

I was looking at the EM10 series yesterday I really like the look of the camera, and your images look to be more than acceptable. It fits with my "buttons and dials" not menus philosophy.
03-21-2022, 11:12 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was looking at the EM10 series yesterday I really like the look of the camera, and your images look to be more than acceptable. It fits with my "buttons and dials" not menus philosophy.
The times I've handled the Olys in stores they've felt the closest to Pentax ergonomics of any other brand, though of course in a bit smaller package. Shame about the EVF being... meh in the ones I've tried (EM10 MK3 and EM5 MK2 I think?). And "meh" is generous .

More on topic, the Canon alternative lens is the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM, not the old one that Reh mentioned. Of course, this one is 580€ (though it is a proper FF design - thank Canon for their lovely APS-C non-support).
03-21-2022, 05:46 PM   #25
Veteran Member

The EVF isn’t great on them as mentioned below but it gets the job done. I do like it for it’s compactness and the low priced lenses are also feather light.

Have you had hands on a Fuji? I love the X100s for the knobs/dials. I think the xpro3 even lets you flip the rear screen around so it’s all knobs/dials experience. But the X100’s are rangefinder and the xpro3 is as well so that isn't something everyone likes.

They’re OVF/EVF via a selector switch. I actually like that setup because it’s the best of both worlds, EVF to set exposure with the dials then back to OVF and shooting. My dream camera would actually just be a DSLR with that OVF/EVF setup.

I still think buttons/dials beat touchscreens/menus all day long. I can’t stand touchscreens in cars.