Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2022, 02:41 AM - 3 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
I quite like the look and specs of the S5 and the results you're getting, look great. I particularly like the depth of the B&W stuff. Having recently bought Olympus, I'm not thrilled so far by the B&W conversions. The one thing all the reviews mention is the AF flutter, I'm just wondering if that's a concern in real life shooting?
As far as B&W jpeg profiles go I've used Pentax, Fujifilm and Panasonic. Pentax is definitely the worst, though some tweaking in-camera can improve things a lot. Fujifilm get a lot of love for their B&W profiles, especially Acros, but so far I've found the Panasonic ones to be at least as good. I understand that originally there was only one but later firmware updates added several more, all labelled as "Leica" and they are very good.

AF flutter only affects continuous AF which I don't traditionally use but then I've never had a camera that could do it very well. I've used AF-C a few times on the S5 and not seen any flutter at all but I've never used it for video, only for portraits to account for small movements of the subject. I need to use it more because I've had a couple of shots where I didn't catch the subject in focus using AF-S. And of course with vintage lenses, which are far more usable on the S5 than on any other digital camera I've ever used, it's not an issue. In summary: my experience is not extensive but I don't see it as a problem.

Here are a few shots from my trip to Edinburgh, all using the S5 and 50/1.8. I'm really starting to love this camera and the output it produces.

Doorway to...
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

It follows

Second helping

Loaves

Peace

05-27-2022, 04:55 AM   #17
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
As far as B&W jpeg profiles go I've used Pentax, Fujifilm and Panasonic. Pentax is definitely the worst, though some tweaking in-camera can improve things a lot. Fujifilm get a lot of love for their B&W profiles, especially Acros, but so far I've found the Panasonic ones to be at least as good. I understand that originally there was only one but later firmware updates added several more, all labelled as "Leica" and they are very good
So the B&W you posted were camera presets, not your own conversions?
05-27-2022, 06:20 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So the B&W you posted were camera presets, not your own conversions?
One of the reasons I went with the S5 instead of, say, Sony, was the ability to PP in-camera. I shoot RAW + jpeg and if I feel the jpeg is good then I'll use it but more often than not I PP in-camera (WB, colour profile, exposure, shadows/highlights etc) and then pass the result to my phone and from there online. That's how I've done it with the K-3 and Fujifilm cameras and I wanted to be able to continue with FF mirrorless. The S5's in-built PP options are very good, the best I've used.

So the B&W images I have from it are all out-of-camera jpegs though most will have been post-processed in-camera, though of course you could set the camera up with these changes beforehand if you know exactly what you want. There are a few in my Flickr album for this camera, you can have a look here: Panasonic Lumix S5 | Flickr
05-27-2022, 06:34 AM   #19
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
One of the reasons I went with the S5 instead of, say, Sony, was the ability to PP in-camera. I shoot RAW + jpeg and if I feel the jpeg is good then I'll use it but more often than not I PP in-camera (WB, colour profile, exposure, shadows/highlights etc) and then pass the result to my phone and from there online. That's how I've done it with the K-3 and Fujifilm cameras and I wanted to be able to continue with FF mirrorless. The S5's in-built PP options are very good, the best I've used.

So the B&W images I have from it are all out-of-camera jpegs though most will have been post-processed in-camera, though of course you could set the camera up with these changes beforehand if you know exactly what you want. There are a few in my Flickr album for this camera, you can have a look here: Panasonic Lumix S5 | Flickr
Ah I see how you do it. I've played with the same process on the KP and now on the Em5 but I don't use it regularly. I've looked at the album and I like the results. I've gone for the Em5 recently but I'm not sure yet if it's for me, I need more time with it. The S5 interested me and still does, I went M43 for the lens size saving but I think if I were to change my mind I would plump for the S5 and for some glass use an adaptor as you do.

05-27-2022, 08:08 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had to look up that 20-60mm zoom. $500 USD right now online and it's full frame and doesn't seem to be huge. Pretty impressive! How do you like it?
05-30-2022, 06:23 AM - 3 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ah I see how you do it. I've played with the same process on the KP and now on the Em5 but I don't use it regularly. I've looked at the album and I like the results. I've gone for the Em5 recently but I'm not sure yet if it's for me, I need more time with it. The S5 interested me and still does, I went M43 for the lens size saving but I think if I were to change my mind I would plump for the S5 and for some glass use an adaptor as you do.
I'm sure the S5 and native lenses will be bigger than m4/3, I'm not sure about the weight difference. The two lenses I have are not small but they're not heavy. I suspect the Sigma lenses and the f/1.4 options are much bigger and heavier. The f/1.4 options in L mount are gigantic and I have no intention of going anywhere near them. Even with the "empty space" of an adapter the whole setup is smaller (but heavier) adapting a classic fast fifty than using the native lenses I have at present. It's also a more rewarding photographic experience, at least for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I had to look up that 20-60mm zoom. $500 USD right now online and it's full frame and doesn't seem to be huge. Pretty impressive! How do you like it?
I'll take a fast prime over a slow zoom any day but the 20-60mm has so far impressed me. It's sharp wide open, which is nice, the super-wide 20mm is very nice to have, and images from it look great. With FF you can get a defocused background even at 60mm f/5.6, as I found the other day doing some portraits at a birthday party. Bokeh at f/5.6 is not something I'm really used to coming from APS-C systems. Of course the 50/1.8 (or an adapted fast prime) can do more bokeh-wise but the zoom is handy and it's not big or heavy yet seems to be decent in terms of build quality.

I'd like to get a Sigma 28-70/2.8 at some point but even then I'd keep the kit lens for a lighter option and because of the extra-wide field of view.

I can take a side-by-side photo of the lens with a lens of your choice (from the many classic lenses I have, of course) if you like? The 50/1.8 and 20-60 are almost exactly the same size.

Another in-camera B&W with the 50/1.8

Cushions
05-31-2022, 07:50 AM - 4 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A couple of shots from the Edinburgh botanical gardens using the 50/1.8. The shells were taken at minimum focus distance.

Doorway to the fairy kingdom

Shells

06-06-2022, 06:56 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I still need to do a lot of testing on the few EF lenses I have but the 50mm f/1.8 STM seems to work just fine with the Sigma MC-21 adaptor, though focusing is slow.

P1001599

P1001598
06-10-2022, 07:10 AM - 4 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yesterday I picked up the Sigma 35mm f/2 DG DN for the S5. I never liked the 35mm focal length until I had kids and found it to be often the ideal focal length when playing with them or reading to them etc and 50mm is a bit too long. I used Fujinon (now sold) and Viltrox 23mm primes on my Fujifilm cameras and they worked well so I wanted to replicate that in my L-mount gear.

It's a beautifully constructed lens - very solid, superb finish and the aperture ring has just the right amount of resistance and click. The FA Limiteds wish they were constructed as well as this Sigma. The optics seem to be excellent too and f/2 provides just enough speed to give some isolation if close enough.

Here are a few photos from trying it out yesterday.

Fallen nest

Autumn colours in summer

Hole in the wall

Coliflora
06-14-2022, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A couple of shots taken with the Minolta Rokkor 58mm f/1.4

Purple II

Wheelbarrows
06-15-2022, 02:23 PM   #26
Pentaxian

The S5 and its dual-gain sensor is a real gem.
I must win a lottery.. assuming I ever start playing.
06-16-2022, 06:25 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
The S5 and its dual-gain sensor is a real gem.
I must win a lottery.. assuming I ever start playing.
Yep, the image quality is really something, not just the sensor but the jpeg engine.
06-28-2022, 01:37 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
On Sunday we went to Faunia, a local wildlife park (not quite a zoo) and I took the S5 and a bunch of lenses. The trip wasn0t planned much beforehand as we were supposed to be with my in-laws for summer but that's been put back a few days. Much of my non-L-mount gear had already gone there though, including the K-3 and the K-mount adapter for the S5, so I was limited to the native lenses I have (35mm, 50mm ,20-60mm), none of them ideal for wildlife and adapting Minolta SR mount lenses, the longest of which is a Tokina RMC 135mm f/2.8 with quite a long minimum focus distance. So, far from being an ideal setup for shooting animals, but then I don't have anything really ideal since I sold the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 to help pay for this nice L-mount stuff.

Here are the few shots I took with the 20-60mm:

Rodent

Lake view

Bird's eye view
06-29-2022, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
These three were taken with the Lumix S 50mm f/1.8, focusing manually for exactness in a very challenging low-light situation. Manual focus with this camera and lens is a dream compared to a DSLR. The first and last were wide open too.

Bats

Lizard

Blue
06-30-2022, 06:30 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
First test shots with the Sigma 90mm f/2.8 DG DN

Pink