Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2022, 12:34 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
but seriously, most won't.
Yes agree, they all should have stuck with film!

05-24-2022, 12:44 AM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes agree, they all should have stuck with film!
Funny... although you can shoot and develop a lot of film for that kind of money, even at today's prices

Seriously, though, no - not film... as you know, it's a very different shooting and processing experience. But, sticking with a 2019-vintage EOS 90D, or picking one up discounted / used, with its mature (if rather limited and - arguably - lacklustre) dedicated APS-C lens line-up? Perhaps they should... I'm seeing very good used examples here in the UK at sub GBP £1000, and the release of these new cameras will no doubt impact those prices accordingly...

Of course, that last video is titled "10 Reasons to get a Canon 90D in 2021", and it's already 2022... so I'm sure the 90D is much more outdated and somehow no longer useful as a result Plus, it doesn't shoot at 30 - 40fps, so... you know... 0.1% of photographers would find it thoroughly unsuitable for their needs

Anyway, I'm sure the new R7 and R10 will be fine cameras, like almost every other camera released in the last few years... and who knows, perhaps Canon will use this as an opportunity to flesh out a dedicated APS-C lens line-up that it never fully produced for its EF-S DSLRs - unless it expects folks to use mostly full-frame glass, aiming sports and wildlife photographers who want extra "reach" and peformance, for example...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-24-2022 at 02:17 AM.
05-24-2022, 02:22 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, they will sell -- as long as the world economy doesn't go in the tank. I'm actually pretty pessimistic about the economy at the moment, but maybe it will be better later on this year.

It is really interesting to me how Canon has attacked Sony's corner with MILCs. Sony's pattern had been to keep older cameras around for ages and just use them as entry level cameras, while Canon has been building cameras to different price points, so that even if their entry level cameras have fairly current specifications. On the other hand, Canon has some interesting lenses that Sony probably can't match.

Sony has a big head start in the mirrorless arena, but it seems likely that Canon will pass them pretty quickly with regard to market share.
05-24-2022, 02:39 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
the release of these new cameras will no doubt impact those prices accordingly...
Yes, and theres nothing wrong with "last years model", I buy plenty of those, rather than wear the depreciation of the latest and greatest.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sony has a big head start in the mirrorless arena, but it seems likely that Canon will pass them pretty quickly with regard to market share.
The R7 will be popular.

Also the big gun R1 hasn't been revealed yet.

There are no details at all, except the words " Jack of all trades and master of all"...Its also going to be very Costly.

05-24-2022, 03:03 AM   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I know it won't bother a lot of folks, but sad to see the lack of a top plate LCD on either the R7 or R10... It's a feature I still use a lot on all my cameras that have it. I know you can look at the settings on the rear panel or through the viewfinder, but I find it really handy to have that top display...
05-24-2022, 05:27 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The 90D has poor autofocus capabilities, at least for a Canon and also limited focus points. The R7 has the same autofocus system as the R3,5,6 that’s amazing and covers the entire frame so it will be a big performance upgrade.

For birders and wildlife shooters on a budget the R7 and the 100-500 will be a nice setup. Will be interesting to see some test with the R7 and the cheaper non L RF glass to see how they work with that high of pixel density. When the 90D came out lots of people complained about images when using older and cheaper lenses.
05-24-2022, 06:04 AM   #22
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
The 90D has poor autofocus capabilities, at least for a Canon and also limited focus points. The R7 has the same autofocus system as the R3,5,6 that’s amazing and covers the entire frame so it will be a big performance upgrade.
Yes, as I understand it the 90D has through-the-viewfinder AF peformance not much different to its predecessors (though much better with dual-pixel AF in live view). Still, a lot of folks "got by" with those cameras just fine... but it sounds like certain types of photographers would benefit from the R7 / R10 AF...

05-24-2022, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #23
Unregistered User

I had a 90D and that 32mp crop sensor needs that IBIS.
05-24-2022, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was having a hard time understanding the value proposition of these cameras, until I read Canon's Press Release:

"Ideal for hobbyists and general photography enthusiasts, the EOS R7 is the quintessential camera to take your photography to the next level. It is a powerful camera choice for those seeking an upgrade to their travel and vacation photos or to capture life-long family memories while opening a new world of creative and professional possibilities. The EOS R10 is perfect for content creators looking for a camera option to capture high-quality action videos and images of sports, wildlife, and motorsports."

Ahhh, THE camera to take one's photography to "the next level." Who wouldn't want that? And, it opens a "new world of...possibilities." So, buying new gear really is the secret to improving one's photography.

Sounds like the R7 would be a great choice -- the choice, in fact -- for upgrading one's travel photos. And, finally, a camera that allows capturing "life-long family memories," which nobody has been able to achieve with their various cameras over the years. Are we witnessing the birth of the "Canon Moment?"

The R10 -- use it for sports, wildlife, and motorsports, according to Canon. Forget landscapes, portraits, and cityscapes. Oh, well; maybe the R7 has a landscape mode.

Canon continues:

"EOS R7 and EOS R10 provide enhanced video functions and accessories, such as the new multifunction shoe with EOS R7, while still maintaining a high-level ease of use. With a robust mirrorless system at their core, these cameras provide users with a powerful telephoto reach through both still image and video due to the 1.6x crop factor that comes with APS-C sensor cameras."

Glad to hear the cameras are easy to use; not only easy, but high-level easy.

The mind races with the potential for "a powerful telephoto reach" from the 1.6x crop factor. Furthermore, it's a mirrorless telephoto reach. Equivalence lives in CanonWorld?

I think that I'm still having a hard time to understand the value proposition here.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 05-24-2022 at 12:24 PM.
05-24-2022, 07:38 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Its not a huge buffer and does not have CF express, it does have the top of the line Digic X processor.

---------- Post added 05-24-22 at 04:54 PM ----------

THE NIKON you mentioned.theres 3 in how many years.
I only mentioned the Z fc because that's the kind of body I would prefer. "A body like the Z fc." I am more interested in the glass from Canon for their RF mount vs. what Nikon has provided so far for Z.

Honestly though if I change systems to mirrorless today I'd probably still go Fuji. So none of this is that big of a deal.
05-24-2022, 09:15 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I think that I'm still having a hard time to understand the value proposition here.
Someone can get the same autofocus capability and high frame rate of a R3 R5 and not have to pay the price of those bodies. I don't think anything else on the market right now has that level of autofocus for only $1500.

If you shoot wildlife Canons animal eye AF is amazing and changes the way you can shoot and compose images. It's not 100% but it is really close and after you learn how to use double back button focus between animal eye AF and single point it's great, I can never imagine shooting without it.

The R7 is the replacement for the 7D II that was very popular with wildlife shooters who didn't want to or couldn't afford a 1DX II body. Now they will be able to get an R7 that will outperform a 1DXII in autofocus and frames per second for a bargain price. Sure it doesn't have the build quality but most people don't need that for weekend shooting and vacations.

I'm shooting two R5's now and I'm not interested in the R7 I'm waiting for the R1 and then I'll trade a R5 in but I know lots of people have been waiting for the R7 and I'm sure Canon will have a hard time fulfilling demand. I wouldn't be surprised to hear people ordering now not getting them until Christmas, especially all the people who order from B&H instead of small local shops.
05-24-2022, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

... I know lots of people have been waiting for the R7 and I'm sure Canon will have a hard time fulfilling demand. I wouldn't be surprised to hear people ordering now not getting them until Christmas, especially all the people who order from B&H instead of small local shops.
With the current shortage of processors and chips I think that's a given. They won't building a lot of these with the current hardware constraints. The spin will of course be "wow, so popular they're sold out until the fall".
05-24-2022, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

If you shoot wildlife Canons animal eye AF is amazing and changes the way you can shoot and compose images. It's not 100% but it is really close and after you learn how to use double back button focus between animal eye AF and single point it's great
I had to research and see what you're referring to. I'm wondering if the same process could be adapted to our K3III's as well with the quick settings function allowing a quick swap to center point AF.

Anyway, for those who have no idea what "double-back focus" from a flagship Canon user means, it has to do with the AF failing to find your intended focus point, so you revert to single-point and recompose to set the target, then "double-back" to tracking AF. Here's a link to a good explanation of the problem, and discussion of mitigations:
Canon R5 spot tracking + face detect? - FM Forums
05-24-2022, 11:54 AM   #29
Pentaxian

After my study of 8x10 large format cameras, I see this R7 and R10 with some distance, i.e more of the same consumer digital camera. No matter how I turn it, it's again a ridiculously small sensor (22mmx15mm), still the same boring 3:2 aspect ratio, with quick operation for lucky spray & pray compositions, quantity of random images. Canon R7 and R10 don't offer tilt & shift, no rise & fall, no scheimpflug, no perspective correction, it's sad; the resolution at 32Mpixels is pathetically low compared to 8x10 low ISO black & white film.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-24-2022 at 12:03 PM.
05-24-2022, 12:02 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

Where are those comments?
Canon EOS R7 First Impressions: The Performance King of APS-C | PetaPixel

Canon EOS R7 initial review: Digital Photography Review