Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2022, 02:14 PM   #61
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
IF,you have the $$$$$$$$,its far from uninteresting.The BIG whites Bite!
Oh yes, I should have qualified that and said the rf-s roadmap. The RF roadmap is a different beast and I've tried out a couple of them myself. They're at a different price point to the R7 and particularly the R10, most of them anyway. The RF-s roadmap looks like it might be built and priced accordingly to the R7 and R10.

05-25-2022, 02:44 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
The RF-s roadmap looks like it might be built and priced accordingly to the R7 and R10.
I haven't seen it but the EFs and M lens line ups were not extensive.

The cheaper end of the RF lens line up will fill gaps.

They are all pretty good if used the correct way.

I'll do a search and see what they have on the way.

From time to time I see plenty of patents, some of which just remain patents.
05-25-2022, 03:00 PM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Of course it's all defined by profit making ability because you have to pay the bills.
That's actually the other way around. Making a profit before paying the bills is if you are an employee. If you are an investor or a company, first you have to pay the bills, and then you can hope to make money.
05-26-2022, 03:03 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Original Poster
R7 has same WR level as the dslr 90D

So the price for the advanced tech of the R7 is U$ 1499.

It seems attractive compared to most of the other Dual slot WR bodies.

BUT,what about the WR lenses?

Canon L level is WR and any L level lens in RF mount is fairly costly.

On the launch day in Orlando,the 100-500 was being used a bit.Its compatible with 1.4x and 2x TCs.The lens is U$ 2700ish and the TCs a bit over 1000 for both.This is the only option(in native mount) if you want to brave the elements.

The slow primes at F11 are not WR.

Last edited by surfar; 05-26-2022 at 03:08 AM.
05-26-2022, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
These new canon models are interesting because they act as if nothing has changed. These are really Rebel dslr's without the mirror . My analysis would have been that this segment is dead. Perhaps there are enough elderly people buying cameras to bring on their cruise to sustain this segment?

I see real cameras as being primarily about experience and to some fashion/identity. These offer nothing in that respect. But then I'm a Pentax user..
Well, they are between two and four times the price of a typical Rebel, so I'd argue it's not the same segment... they're just cheaper than the flagships
05-26-2022, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

I don't think WR is much of an issue for most people. I think a lot of the people in the market for an R7 just won't go out shooting when the weather is bad and the ones that will go out probably have EF or RF L lenses.

When I had my 1DX II and EF 600 F4 that has great weather sealing I still put a Lenscoat rain coat on the combo and will use it on my RF gear now. I think it was about $120 and it goes on quick and doesn't interfere with using the camera at all and just adds that reassurance that my gear is protected. For people using smaller lenses you can get ones a lot cheaper and not have to worry about it.
05-26-2022, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
I don't think WR is much of an issue for most people. I think a lot of the people in the market for an R7 just won't go out shooting when the weather is bad and the ones that will go out probably have EF or RF L lenses.

When I had my 1DX II and EF 600 F4 that has great weather sealing I still put a Lenscoat rain coat on the combo and will use it on my RF gear now. I think it was about $120 and it goes on quick and doesn't interfere with using the camera at all and just adds that reassurance that my gear is protected. For people using smaller lenses you can get ones a lot cheaper and not have to worry about it.
That’s actually the one thing that stopped me from buying a Canon and getting into RF lenses. I don’t want to play the I have to buy top end L glass for WR game.

Having a low priced WR body with scant amounts of WR lenses unless you buy 1-2k per lens items definitely stopped me. It’s actually what got me into Pentax over a decade ago, because both Nikon and Canon did that.

The Z line, while no body has the AF to match these Canon’s other than the Z9, has a full compliment of WR lenses, almost every one is sealed. For me personally the ability to use it carefree in heavy fog, mist, rain is a much greater value than 20-30 FPS and crazy good autotracking. I already can get the shots I want using ancient AF systems by todays standards. And the 5-10 fps of older body’s typically still gets the job done for almost everything. So it basically has a couple niche cool features and is missing a huge critical one for me personally. I’m sure others also value WR for moto trips like i use it for, fishing, hiking when it’s not perfect conditions and keeping dust out in the desert.

That R7 is the body to beat at that price right now, but it’s dead in the water for me without inexpensive lenses to back it up that seal with the body. And not just a single gasket on the lens mount.

05-26-2022, 02:04 PM   #68
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't think WR is much of an issue for most people
Yes,but I thought I'd include that information for the benefit of those,who are used to the WR bodies and glass at a lower price point.

the ones that will go out probably have EF or RF L lenses.
More than likely.

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
That R7 is the body to beat at that price right now, but it’s dead in the water for me without inexpensive lenses to back it up
When shipping starts an EF adapter is included, so the crop Canon shooters can transition over with just the price of a body.I'd guess that the 7Dmk2/90D owners probably have some L glass already.Canon, with the biggest market share, want to get their clients into the new mount.They are making it easy imo.Also,there is lots of reasonable priced EF L glass on the 2nd hand market for the new(to Canon) buyers.

---------- Post added 05-27-22 at 08:19 AM ----------

Last edited by surfar; 05-26-2022 at 02:20 PM.
05-26-2022, 04:14 PM   #69
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The elCheepo lens kit

2 zooms, both FF .24-105 and 100-400 then add the 16mm f2.8 for a wider angle.For Macro and lower light 35f1.8.Portrait 50f1.8.
05-26-2022, 04:17 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Yes,but I thought I'd include that information for the benefit of those,who are used to the WR bodies and glass at a lower price point.

More than likely.

When shipping starts an EF adapter is included, so the crop Canon shooters can transition over with just the price of a body.I'd guess that the 7Dmk2/90D owners probably have some L glass already.Canon, with the biggest market share, want to get their clients into the new mount.They are making it easy imo.Also,there is lots of reasonable priced EF L glass on the 2nd hand market for the new(to Canon) buyers.

---------- Post added 05-27-22 at 08:19 AM ----------

Canon if you just sealed that 24-240, the one lens that I use the most…………I would have an R6 right now. All that said you can’t go wrong with any of these camera’s lately. They all have really good autofocus and fast frame rates for the most part.
05-26-2022, 06:33 PM   #71
Pentaxian

2 zooms, both FF .24-105 and 100-400 then add the 16mm f2.8 for a wider angle.For Macro and lower light 35f1.8.Portrait 50f1.8.
You could also swap the 16 and 35 for the 600 F11 if you tend to use more telephoto lenses.

I have the 50 1.8 and have only used it a couple times but I've been happy with it. I mainly do wildlife so don't really need a 50 much so buying the 50 1.2 was out of the question for me but for $200 the 1.8 is a perfect little lens to have in the bag just in case.

I thought about the 16mm 2.8 but I already have the 24-105 F4 L and I don't think I've ever used it on the short end, I just don't have the eye for wide angle photography. I've read it relies heavily on in camera corrections but for the price it seems to be pretty good.
05-27-2022, 03:51 AM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have felt the sealing reduces issues with dust entry and gives peace of mind when shooting in light weather conditions. It may not be a big deal, but there are plenty of times that you go out hiking not expecting weather to go south and something pops up.

But I can understand Canon's wanting to reserve sealing for top end lenses too.
05-27-2022, 05:08 AM   #73
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Moving pictures made easy.

This chap give a rundown of the video capabilities of the 2 bodies.

---------- Post added 05-27-22 at 11:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
But I can understand Canon's wanting to reserve sealing for top end lenses too.
RF L glass costs plenty,Pentax has it right(imo) in offering WR at mostly affordable prices and offering AW in their top end.

Canon does have a cheaper weather sealed alternative though with the abundance of L level EF mounts.These lenses are generally bigger and heavier than the equivalent in RF.High end users who switched to RF have offloaded the perfectly good EF L series(I got a few).
05-27-2022, 06:10 AM   #74
Pentaxian

From what I've seen so far these cameras are pretty "meh", especially the R10, which seems to be a traditional Canon lesson in "how cheap can we possibly make an ILC?"

The kit lens is f/4.5 to 6.3

And if I were an EOS-M user right now then I would be feeling ill or angry, or both. Which is a shame because some of the EOS-M cameras and lenses seemed to be pretty good.
05-27-2022, 11:15 AM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
From what I've seen so far these cameras are pretty "meh", especially the R10, which seems to be a traditional Canon lesson in "how cheap can we possibly make an ILC?"

The kit lens is f/4.5 to 6.3

And if I were an EOS-M user right now then I would be feeling ill or angry, or both. Which is a shame because some of the EOS-M cameras and lenses seemed to be pretty good.
DPR. who I've always perceived as being somewhat Canon-friendly, is not keen on either the R7 or R10, tho the R7 gets a bit more love. Still image quality is unimpressive on both according to them, as is the value proposition.

DPReview TV: Canon EOS R7 and R10 First Impressions Review: Digital Photography Review

If you're a long-time Canon fan, and looking for an APS-C to add to the mix, they seem like fine crop cameras if you already have glass to use with them. Like Pentax though, it looks like a harder sell attracting those already living in another ecosystem.

Last edited by gatorguy; 05-27-2022 at 11:34 AM.