Veteran Member

The Canon R7 is functionally equivalent to the K-3 Mark III:

Recent
APSC
IBIS
2 SD card slots
Lots of available lenses in their respective mounts

This is a comparison:

Side by Side Comparison Canon EOS R7 vs. Pentax K-3 Mark III: Digital Photography Review

Edit (disclaimer):

I switched from Pentax to Canon RF in 2020.
I have pre-ordered the Canon R7.
I know a lot about the Canon R7 (and Canon R5, etc).

Last edited by Barry Pearson; 05-28-2022 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Adding a disclaimer
05-28-2022, 12:36 PM   #92
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
The Canon R7 is functionally equivalent to the K-3 Mark III:

Recent
APSC
IBIS
2 SD card slots
Lots of available lenses in their respective mounts

This is a comparison:

Side by Side Comparison Canon EOS R7 vs. Pentax K-3 Mark III: Digital Photography Review

Edit (disclaimer):

I switched from Pentax to Canon RF in 2020.
I have pre-ordered the Canon R7.
I know a lot about the Canon R7 (and Canon R5, etc).
Thanks for that, Barry.

Of course, some folks will be quick to point out (quite rightly) that the Canon mirrorless cameras benefit from better AF and much better video capabilities (amongst other things)... but may be less inclined to point out the K-3III's better build quality and greater WR, considerably better dedicated (and therefore compact) APS-C lens line-up, pixel-shift, astro-tracing functionality etc. I'm sure there are other specs and features too that favour either the Canon or Pentax choices. The K-3III is currently a bit more expensive than the Canon R7 (though since the price drop, not hugely so), and depending on personal requirements may or may not be worth the extra spend. As always, we (should) pick the gear that suits us best. Both are fine cameras, and both are appropriate - yet largely unsurprising - evolutional steps from their predecessors...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-28-2022 at 12:49 PM.
05-28-2022, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #93

Photos: Gallery
I am currently trying to figure out whats what with lenses in the Canon world but the R7 is probably the camera that will see me leave Pentax, main drivers being better AF and better selection of long glass. I really like my KP and tempted to keep it for macro and walk around but unsure I can justify running two systems
05-28-2022, 01:01 PM   #94
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GreenRich Quote
I am currently trying to figure out whats what with lenses in the Canon world but the R7 is probably the camera that will see me leave Pentax, main drivers being better AF and better selection of long glass. I really like my KP and tempted to keep it for macro and walk around but unsure I can justify running two systems
Glass is usually the most important factor. If the available lenses for a particular brand and format suit your use-cases, that's almost enough on its own to make the choice, as there'll undoubtedly be a camera from that brand that does the job very well or at least well-enough. I'm sure the R7's AF will be a huge asset - when used effectively by the operator...

05-28-2022, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #95
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
EF is for full frame...EFs is for crop bodies and doesn't fit a FF Dslr.

The EF glass designated L is the higher end optics.They have the UltraSonicMotor and are environmentally sealed.

The basic glass labelled STM and no weather protection but some of these lenses are very good.

There are 3 native adapters which are all natively sealed and work perfectly.

RF and RFs will work seamlessly on crop and FF Canon bodies.

---------- Post added 05-29-22 at 08:39 AM ----------

the camera that will see me leave Pentax,
There will be people who shoot brands beside Pentax that will do the same.

If you can, keep your KP.It has features that might come in handy in the future.
05-29-2022, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Thanks for that, Barry.

Of course, some folks will be quick to point out (quite rightly) that the Canon mirrorless cameras benefit from better AF and much better video capabilities (amongst other things)... but may be less inclined to point out the K-3III's better build quality and greater WR, considerably better dedicated (and therefore compact) APS-C lens line-up, pixel-shift, astro-tracing functionality etc. I'm sure there are other specs and features too that favour either the Canon or Pentax choices. The K-3III is currently a bit more expensive than the Canon R7 (though since the price drop, not hugely so), and depending on personal requirements may or may not be worth the extra spend. As always, we (should) pick the gear that suits us best. Both are fine cameras, and both are appropriate - yet largely unsurprising - evolutional steps from their predecessors...
My last Pentax camera was the K-3ii. That had good very build quality and I assume the K-3iii is even better.
My R5 has very good build quality. I suspect the R7 won't be as good. It is based on magnesium alloy.
Ditto for weather sealing. The R5 has very good weather sealing, but Canon have said the R7's weather sealing isn't as good.
Only 2 RF-S lenses have been announced. EF-S lenses for Canon APSC dSLRs can be used via the cheap simple adapter.
I assume you are correct about pixel-shift and astro-tracing. I don't recall seeing anything about those in the R7.

I'm not here to sell the R7!
I wouldn't have started a thread here about it. I just belatedly added to an existing thread.

I got a lot of my knowledge about the R7 from this 82 minute video, which I've watched twice.
It was live-streamed and answers a lot of viewer's questions.
05-29-2022, 01:32 AM - 1 Like   #97
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
I'm not here to sell the R7!
I wouldn't have started a thread here about it. I just belatedly added to an existing thread.
I didn't think you were, Barry - your post was balanced and thoughtful, IMHO, especially from someone who has moved to Canon from Pentax. My response was intended to "head off at the pass" potential responses as to why the the R7 was in fact so much better than you claimed. I hope I've been as balanced as you by acknowledging there are areas in which the R7 is clearly superior to the K-3III, and vice versa. Some of the differences are attributable to them being different types of camera (mirrorless and DSLR). They each have benefits, and the better choice will be down to each individual's requirements, priorities and preferences

Thanks for the link... I'll watch that later. The R7 certainly looks to be a very good camera. I hope it does well for Canon... I'm convinced it will

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-29-2022 at 01:38 AM.
05-29-2022, 02:46 AM - 2 Likes   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I didn't think you were, Barry - your post was balanced and thoughtful, IMHO, especially from someone who has moved to Canon from Pentax. My response was intended to "head off at the pass" potential responses as to why the the R7 was in fact so much better than you claimed. I hope I've been as balanced as you by acknowledging there are areas in which the R7 is clearly superior to the K-3III, and vice versa. Some of the differences are attributable to them being different types of camera (mirrorless and DSLR). They each have benefits, and the better choice will be down to each individual's requirements, priorities and preferences

Thanks for the link... I'll watch that later. The R7 certainly looks to be a very good camera. I hope it does well for Canon... I'm convinced it will
For information, the reason I switched from Pentax is:

Since 2010 I have desperately wanted to stop having to rely on a mirror in my cameras!
I hate all the implications of having a mirror flipping up and down while I'm shooting.
Especially in burst-mode, which applies to all my action photographs.

I kept hoping Pentax would provide top-end mirrorless equipment with adapters for K-Mount lenses.
Had Pentax done so I would still be a Pentax user and I would saved a LOT of money.
(I used Pentax SLRs and dSLRs from 1967 to 2020).
But Pentax repeatedly emphasised this wouldn't happen.

I'm 75; I couldn't wait any longer!
My personal reasons don't apply to many Pentax users; the K-1-series & K-3-series cameras are just right for many people.

Edit:
Here is an article about why I wanted "mirrorless" that I published on my website in 2010:

Musings on Micro Four Thirds

Last edited by Barry Pearson; 05-29-2022 at 08:20 AM.