Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 68 Likes Search this Thread
06-28-2022, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
1> I meant to say larger resolution,sensor.2> Not all lenses for the D500 would be stabilized, or as equally effectively when they are. It's dependent on the lens manufacturer. Every lens mounted to the Pentax is stabilized.3> The Pentax includes a high-capacity RGBIr image sensor with approximately 307,000 pixels, to provide more accurate tracking of subjects in motion. The D500 does not.4> Fact? Nope, you're guessing. At the moment I'm guessing with the D500 just as I said, but not with the K3III. Let me know your experience when you actually use either camera.5> Wrong. The Sigma Sport is a zoom, 150-600 5.6 to 6.3
I have a little problem with giving advice, because I've been mislead myself by recommendations from forums members. For me, it's important to provide objective information, or else I feel like biased suggestions to an individual customer are unethical. Unethical because the impact on the camera company (whatever the company is) of gaining or losing one customer is like a drop of water in the ocean, but the wrong purchase decision for an individual can hurt financially. Since I've been hurt be forum recommendations, I now try to provide recommendations only from a neutral, non-Pentaxian position.

06-28-2022, 09:39 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
If your main concern in AF & buffer performance for relatively "cheap", there's really nothing like the Nikon D500 at the moment. A used D500 would probably be your best bet. Problem is finding one. They're still pricey & a lot of them have very high shutter counts.

The Canon 7D Mark II also has very good AF performance, but I still think that the D500 has better AF & better IQ. The K-3III would be 3rd in line, but you already know the AF & buffer limitations in the body & the lack of fast focusing K-mount telephoto lenses.

Outside of the D500, you'd have to step up to a Sony a1, a9II, Nikon Z9, or a Canon R3 to get similar D500 performance, but you're gonna pay a lot to play. Speed & accuracy costs money. How fast & accurate do you want to go?
More accurate then this:

_IMG9668-4.jpg - Google Drive

_IMG3241.jpg - Google Drive

_IMG0257.jpg - Google Drive

_IMG9921.jpg - Google Drive

Currently there are a few examples of the D500 that I have found used which are around $1000-12000+. Originally I had considered getting one used but then I rethought about it due to the 'shutter count' being something like mileage on a used car put very loosely!

Perhaps going to the canon R system might be the option. I checked the comparison link posted above and Sony seems to have taken all the top spots. One thing that I have heard and something which I kind of see also in the camera images is that they're quite thin. The K1 is a little deeper making it more comfortable for me to hold and get a grip on (not that I have large hangs), it's probably to do with surface area.

The Canon R7 might be more comfortable in this sense? Ideally I am looking for a cropped sensor rather then full frame again, simply based on the extra reach of the lenses.

I agree that it seems that no one has designed a replacement for the D500 in terms of cropped sensor pro body camera.
06-28-2022, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kayasaman Quote
That's totally the point that I'm trying to make and really worried about with Pentax. A friend who also has a K1 ii and is able to borrow the 150-450 is also complaining about the hit-ratio on it. He says that it misses more then it hits with about a 1 to 10 ratio.

On the other hand my FA*300 is screw driven, I actually purchased it for MF use in astro then what I call linear photography. Given AF is slow but the acquisition accuracy is awful unfortunately. More often then not the subject is blurred unless those few occasion where I get lucky with lighting ( lots of bright light on target) and the target is large enough.

Looks like the stock is expected in July for the Canon R7. How well it will work though is another story. Many people seem to be happy with the EOS80 but then many here have warned me against the EOS90.

If there was a current equivalent to something of the D500's caliber it would be awesome!

---------- Post added 06-28-22 at 07:44 AM ----------

Actually I was looking at the 60-600mm Sigma zoom which is f4.5 to 6.3

---------- Post added 06-28-22 at 07:49 AM ----------

Not sure which Sigma everyone is talking about here... there's a 500mm prime which yeah is expensive. the 60-600mm Sport is a lot cheaper then the DFA 150-450mm. In my region in Europe something like $700 less for the Sigma over the Pentax.

It might be a matter of what everyone says and just grab the Canon R7 over the Fuji X-H2S. It's around $1500 cheaper from the prices that I've seen too.....

This is still giving me a headache lol as I'm in uncharted territory here!

---------- Post added 06-28-22 at 07:54 AM ----------

Also quickly to add that I think I've read that the Sigma's don't work very well on Canon's R series using the EF to R adapter? I may have misread or misunderstood this though as I'm not at all familiar with Canon stuff...
Sigma Art, Contemporary and Sport work well with Canon's R. But if I were you I would get their 100-500 and be done.
06-28-2022, 09:59 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I have a little problem with giving advice, because I've been mislead myself by recommendations from forums members. For me, it's important to provide objective information, or else I feel like biased suggestions to an individual customer are unethical. Unethical because the impact on the camera company (whatever the company is) of gaining or losing one customer is like a drop of water in the ocean, but the wrong purchase decision for an individual can hurt financially. Since I've been hurt be forum recommendations, I now try to provide recommendations only from a neutral, non-Pentaxian position.
I guess you are an engineer by your handle? I also studied engineering and have been involved with it for a long time that's why I agree that advice based on emotion is not a solid form.

This is why I am asking everyone for pointers as sure many people use different systems. Currently the results I'm getting with my K1 are mostly blurred when I use the camera with AF. On static subjects I use MF as I have time to adjust things.

Really I just want something that will be built as solid as my K1 and have great AF and faster burst. Sure I don't need something that's gona capture sports shots in the millisecond range but at least something where I won't have to wait seconds between shots or worse, and something that will lock accurately onto a target.

QuoteQuote:
QuoteOriginally posted by kayasaman Quote
Actually I was looking at the 60-600mm Sigma zoom which is f4.5 to 6.3
Arhhh that's not good. The bottleneck of the camera system is the weakest element. High quality lens should be use on flagship camera body.

I didn't understand this comment? The Sigma 60-600mm is built better and more accuracy to the 150-600mm according to reviews that I have read. It has a reach that no other lens on the market has making it highly versatile. Yeah sure there are some Nikon lenses which go well over $10k. Even if I had the money, would I actually want to spend that much on a lens?

Yes I understand the optical quality and build quality but** if I had to state what my ideal lens would be, then I am actually really fond of my Irix 150mm. Both optically and build quality wise it is perfect for my needs. Unfortunately that's as long as Irix do lenses. Also it's MF only so not ideal for any type of action photography.

If the Sigma or any other native brand can match that in a tele-zoom, then I'd be happy. :-)

06-28-2022, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

More accurate then this:

_IMG9668-4.jpg - Google Drive

_IMG3241.jpg - Google Drive

_IMG0257.jpg - Google Drive

_IMG9921.jpg - Google Drive

Currently there are a few examples of the D500 that I have found used which are around $1000-12000+. Originally I had considered getting one used but then I rethought about it due to the 'shutter count' being something like mileage on a used car put very loosely!

Perhaps going to the canon R system might be the option. I checked the comparison link posted above and Sony seems to have taken all the top spots. One thing that I have heard and something which I kind of see also in the camera images is that they're quite thin. The K1 is a little deeper making it more comfortable for me to hold and get a grip on (not that I have large hangs), it's probably to do with surface area.

The Canon R7 might be more comfortable in this sense? Ideally I am looking for a cropped sensor rather then full frame again, simply based on the extra reach of the lenses.

I agree that it seems that no one has designed a replacement for the D500 in terms of cropped sensor pro body camera.
Yeah. The AF performance of all Pentax bodies before the K-3III leaves a lot to be desired. Basically, if you're shooting an older Pentax body & the subject moves, don't bother. It's not that it's impossible to catch motion & action with an older Pentax body, but it can be an exercise in frustration at times, especially if one has been exposed to cameras that have better AF systems & fast focusing lenses. You have to concentrate more on what's going on & sometimes you have to prefocus, but if the subject has erratic motion, forget about it.

A Canon R7 would probably be your best bet. Save your chips as you wait for one. Who knows. Maybe Nikon might end up coming out with a D500 mirrorless equivalent (mini-Z9) by the time the R7 is released to the public......... or maybe they won't.

If I were in your shoes, I'd hold out for a while. Keep looking at eBay & other places for a used D500. You can make alerts on eBay to let you know when there are new D500 listings. You never know what you'll find. Good things come to those who wait. Well, you don't want to wait for too long either 'cause life is short. Hahaha!
06-28-2022, 10:10 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah. The AF performance of all Pentax bodies before the K-3III leaves a lot to be desired. Basically, if you're shooting an older Pentax body & the subject moves, don't bother. It's not that it's impossible to catch motion & action with an older Pentax body, but it can be an exercise in frustration at times, especially if one has been exposed to cameras that have better AF systems & fast focusing lenses. You have to concentrate more on what's going on & sometimes you have to prefocus, but if the subject has erratic motion, forget about it.

A Canon R7 would probably be your best bet. Save your chips as you wait for one. Who knows. Maybe Nikon might end up coming out with a D500 mirrorless equivalent (mini-Z9) by the time the R7 is released to the public......... or maybe they won't.

If I were in your shoes, I'd hold out for a while. Keep looking at eBay & other places for a used D500. You can make alerts on eBay to let you know when there are new D500 listings. You never know what you'll find. Good things come to those who wait. Well, you don't want to wait for too long either 'cause life is short. Hahaha!
Yeah..... that's very true :-)

Currently I found the R7 for $1500 while they await stock. Will check Ebay for the D500 new if there is one (unlikely) but am tentative to go used.

Also I think Nikon have a 2 year gap system between discontinuing bodies and releasing replacements... I read that somewhere in a review about the D300 and D500. To make things more complicated they even skipped the D400 naming.

Well, the R7 is claiming to be available come July so not too long to wait now.
06-28-2022, 10:30 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
When you use facts I have no issue of course. Your comments seemed to be guesses being passed off as being fact, and that can be misleading.

06-28-2022, 10:37 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Although the OP asked about Fujifilm or Canon systems, this thread has also touched on others such as Nikon and Pentax.

The Nikon D500 is routinely trotted out as a superlative choice with respect to AF, buffer size, and memory card recording. However, folks usually neglect to provide links or references to credible, substantive tests, or even to detailed first-hand accounts of their experience with the cameras under comparison. I'm not knocking the D500 -- it's a fine camera, albeit a few years old now (wasn't it released in 2015/16?). That it has withstood the test of time is a testament to its design and quality.

A recent thread asked about the D500; here are a couple of sample posts that address the relative performance compared to the K-3 Mark III, and some insight into the D500's buffering. The K-3 Mark III fared well. The D500 has an issue when shooting RAW+JPEG.

Simple Question. Maybe not so simple answer. Can I sell my D500 now? - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/210-pentax-k-3-iii/443263-simple-questio...ml#post5584673

I'm also surprised by the absolute statements concerning the relative AF performance of Pentax cameras. Here's a sample of excellent results obtained with a Pentax K-3 II and K-3 Mark III, using modest lenses. The cars were moving at 60 mph. Goodwood Festival of Speed action: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review. Users of the K-3 Mark III have achieved really good results in various settings, as shown in numerous images here at Pentax Forums.

I'm not trying to sell the OP on a Pentax option -- just want to suggest that some opinions concerning performance may not necessarily be backed up by realistic test results (if such tests exist).

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 06-28-2022 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Correction: Car pics were taken with K-3 II and K-3 III
06-28-2022, 11:02 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Although the OP asked about Fujifilm or Canon systems, this thread has also touched on others such as Nikon and Pentax.

The Nikon D500 is routinely trotted out as a superlative choice with respect to AF, buffer size, and memory card recording. However, folks usually neglect to provide links or references to credible, substantive tests, or even to detailed first-hand accounts of their experience with the cameras under comparison. I'm not knocking the D500 -- it's a fine camera, albeit a few years old now (wasn't it released in 2015/16?). That it has withstood the test of time is a testament to its design and quality.

A recent thread asked about the D500; here are a couple of sample posts:

Simple Question. Maybe not so simple answer. Can I sell my D500 now? - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

I'm also surprised by the absolute statements concerning the relative AF performance of Pentax cameras. Here's a sample of excellent results obtained with a Pentax K-3 II and modest lenses. The cars were moving at 60 mph. Goodwood Festival of Speed action: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review. Users of the K-3 Mark III have also achieved really good results in various settings, as shown in numerous images here at Pentax Forums.

I'm not trying to sell the OP on a Pentax option -- just want to suggest that some opinions concerning performance may not necessarily be backed up by realistic test results (if such tests exist).

- Craig

Hi Craig,

wildlife and moving subjects can be done with the Pentax system no doubt.

_IMG0649.jpg - Google Drive

This was done using my 150mm MF Irix

_IMG9550-2.jpg - Google Drive

This one was using the FA*300 screwdrive AF

I think I cropped both. My lenses are not long enough... how long do I wana go? As long as I can while still being versatile enough to zoom in and out.

This is semi off-topic in which direction I want to head into but I can also use the longer lens with a TC for doing astro. My thoughts were this: the Sigma at 600mm is equivalent to around 900mm on APS-C Nikon with the 1.5x crop factor (perfect for skittish wildlife) ; for Canon I think it is 1.6x? Add a 2x TC and you 1800+mm for either wildlife (not sure how usable?) or astro for deeper sky objects.

Unfortunately my hit rate using the K1 when using AF is super low. I have also adjusted the Fine-Tuning. If the subject doesn't move for a while then there is a greater chance of locking on. For planes, there's a large body for the AF system to lock on to. Virtually after having done nothing but chase stuff around for about 3 weeks I became really frustrated. During the whole time my hit rate was somewhere between 1-10% of shots, 90%+ where all out of focus.

Sure I want more lenses for my K1. The Irix 15mm, the 30mm and 45mm for landscape stuff and the Samyang 135mm for dedicated to astro only.

My experience with wildlife though... well birds anyway, is that you only have a few seconds, mostly 1-3s and in that time you need to pick the camera up, get it to your eye, find target, lock on target, and take a shot. After that the bird is out of FoV and long gone. It's asking too much for the K1 ii.
06-28-2022, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Guys,

I just found a brand new D500 off Ebay. It's from a large retailer, it was in the Clearance part of the store as they claim it has box damage but is brand new. They do give 30 days return and 12 months guarantee with it and it was at a reduced price.

Placed the order already!

I was leaning on the Canon R7 but wasn't sure, mainly as the D500 is based on the D5 and I have no idea what the R7 is based on. They were both at the same price and my gut told me to go for something tried and tested. If I was able to find a mirrorless APS-C camera in Pro body I probably would have been more enthusiastic but at this stage the good news is that I don't need adapters to fit the lenses I've already selected or need to find different lenses.

Few, that gave me a headache!! lol

Of course this is a gamble but it's a calculated risk as if the body is damaged or something is wrong, I should be able to send it back. In the meantime I can test it with the 50mm lens from my 1970s era Nikon FM - can't believe that camera is older then I am haha total irony :-)
06-28-2022, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

^ Sounds good!

There's really nothing else out there in the APS-C format that can touch the D500's AF & buffer performance. Not even the Sony a6600 or whatever the latest Fujifilm camera is. Maybe the eventual K-3IV will surpass the D500's AF performance by +-2028, but you know what? I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't. Hahaha!
06-28-2022, 01:57 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Sounds good!

There's really nothing else out there in the APS-C format that can touch the D500's AF & buffer performance. Not even the Sony a6600 or whatever the latest Fujifilm camera is. Maybe the eventual K-3IV will surpass the D500's AF performance by +-2028, but you know what? I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't. Hahaha!

As long as my images aren't blurred any more. Now I feel like I have to wear correction glasses simply to view my AF based shots hahaha

To be fair, the AF isn't bad. It works fine on static subjects but then so does MF. My complaint is only for my use case, though I wouldn't use a 4x4 on a high speed tarmac race track or use a high performance race car off road. Neither vehicle is suited for use outside their design specs - as an analogy ;-)

Thanks to everyone for your help, advice, ideas and assistance. It's really appreciated!!

@gatorguy, thanks for carrying over from the last post too. Last time you asked me to post pics so in the near future hopefully I'll have something worth showing. Currently I have plenty of cool macro shots with the K1 and some cute squirrels, oh yeah and lots of astro attempts (so many that I almost forgot about 'normal' or linear photography altogether). Not sure where I can upload them all but I'll check out if 500px is a good site for that.... :-)
06-28-2022, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Hi Craig,

wildlife and moving subjects can be done with the Pentax system no doubt.

_IMG0649.jpg - Google Drive

This was done using my 150mm MF Irix

_IMG9550-2.jpg - Google Drive

This one was using the FA*300 screwdrive AF

I think I cropped both. My lenses are not long enough... how long do I wana go? As long as I can while still being versatile enough to zoom in and out.

This is semi off-topic in which direction I want to head into but I can also use the longer lens with a TC for doing astro. My thoughts were this: the Sigma at 600mm is equivalent to around 900mm on APS-C Nikon with the 1.5x crop factor (perfect for skittish wildlife) ; for Canon I think it is 1.6x? Add a 2x TC and you 1800+mm for either wildlife (not sure how usable?) or astro for deeper sky objects.

Unfortunately my hit rate using the K1 when using AF is super low. I have also adjusted the Fine-Tuning. If the subject doesn't move for a while then there is a greater chance of locking on. For planes, there's a large body for the AF system to lock on to. Virtually after having done nothing but chase stuff around for about 3 weeks I became really frustrated. During the whole time my hit rate was somewhere between 1-10% of shots, 90%+ where all out of focus.

Sure I want more lenses for my K1. The Irix 15mm, the 30mm and 45mm for landscape stuff and the Samyang 135mm for dedicated to astro only.

My experience with wildlife though... well birds anyway, is that you only have a few seconds, mostly 1-3s and in that time you need to pick the camera up, get it to your eye, find target, lock on target, and take a shot. After that the bird is out of FoV and long gone. It's asking too much for the K1 ii.

My experience with the K-3iii, just as you describe, see bird, aim camera, about 1-2 seconds to get some shots.

The ins and outs of the K-3 III AF.C system - My own experience and understandings - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com

Watch out for what you ask for, 900mm equivalency is a new world of hurt and quite a handful, going from 300mm on a FF, locking focus won't be as frustrating as nothing in the finder or subject tracking, IE - not the camera tracking AF in the frame, but user tracking subject thru the sky . And even with static target subjects, camera shake and stability really come into play, when I was first using my FA*600/f4 on my K-1 and K-3ii my heartbeat was visible to me thru the viewfinder (when watching a subject there was a little shake every second or so, I realized it was my heartbeat pulsing thru my hands and chest shaking the whole rig.)

Good luck with the D500, Take your time, learn some techniques for long lenses and success will come.
06-28-2022, 02:22 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
My experience with the K-3iii, just as you describe, see bird, aim camera, about 1-2 seconds to get some shots.

The ins and outs of the K-3 III AF.C system - My own experience and understandings - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com

Watch out for what you ask for, 900mm equivalency is a new world of hurt and quite a handful, going from 300mm on a FF, locking focus won't be as frustrating as nothing in the finder or subject tracking, IE - not the camera tracking AF in the frame, but user tracking subject thru the sky . And even with static target subjects, camera shake and stability really come into play, when I was first using my FA*600/f4 on my K-1 and K-3ii my heartbeat was visible to me thru the viewfinder (when watching a subject there was a little shake every second or so, I realized it was my heartbeat pulsing thru my hands and chest shaking the whole rig.)

Good luck with the D500, Take your time, learn some techniques for long lenses and success will come.
Thank you so much! Right now my immediate plan is to work on planes, they're big easy and slow just after takeoff. Probably first up will be 600mm or 300mm (35mm equivalent). I need to get used to things first! I have had my K1 ii for a year now and most of it was spent with the camera pointed towards the sky at night. It's only now that I'm starting to learn about the camera capabilities during the day time.

On my list of things to get now will be an astro tracking mount and Bahtinov mask for focusing, at least in the astro department. Not sure about wildlife yet, will need to try hand held first then see if I need a gimble. Luckily Gitzo have a good quality one which isn't too expensive. It's around 1/3 of the price of the double gimble from Novoflex which is the make of my tripod.
06-28-2022, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

Not sure about wildlife yet, will need to try hand held first then see if I need a gimble. Luckily Gitzo have a good quality one which isn't too expensive. It's around 1/3 of the price of the double gimble from Novoflex which is the make of my tripod.
Don't rule out a monopod and tilt head setup, either. I have a pretty nice gimbal and heavy duty tripod, but find myself using the monopod with RRS MH01 much more often with my big lenses.

Last edited by wadge22; 06-28-2022 at 02:40 PM.