Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2022, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Between the K-1 and D500,
A slow camera and a fast camera(well it was released) but both still very capable.

06-30-2022, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Isn't catch in focus a good option for macro? Whether turning the focus ring back and forth or moving the camera back and forth, letting the catch in focus trigger the shutter at just the right moment?

I haven't practiced it myself, but I thought that was a good method that doesn't require a fancy AFing camera or an AF lens. I suppose I should try it.
07-01-2022, 05:45 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
Isn't catch in focus a good option for macro? Whether turning the focus ring back and forth or moving the camera back and forth, letting the catch in focus trigger the shutter at just the right moment?

I haven't practiced it myself, but I thought that was a good method that doesn't require a fancy AFing camera or an AF lens. I suppose I should try it.

Correct! Catch-in focus works well through the view finder.

It can be hard however, when the subject is walking around like my gluttonous wasps in the Thyme stalks.

Another good option is focus peeking. It can be considered the better option in some cases. What makes it difficult though is that it's difficult to see the screen outside. This means that you have to increase the brightness then it's harder to see the highlighting done by this mode.

The Nikon unfortunately has neither of these modes. It does have what they call a Range-finder. Basically, it's a little dot and arrows telling you which way to turn the focus ring. Using Live View is very hard without focus peeking. You need to zoom in to your subject and make sure it's in focus that way.

---------- Post added 07-01-22 at 05:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
A slow camera and a fast camera(well it was released) but both still very capable.
Like having a tired and grouchy grandpa on one side and a hyperactive kid on the other lol

---------- Post added 07-01-22 at 05:50 AM ----------

I added some more macro images to my Google Photos folder. These are more like ones posted by UncleVanya - static subjects where one can take their time to setup and position.

Macro - Google Photos

The EXIF data should be there... I was using a tripod for all of those so I could use ISO100.

If you click on an image then press the (i) - Info button the EXIF data is displayed. (from a browser)
07-01-2022, 11:04 AM - 2 Likes   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Catch in focus is a little sloppy for Macro in my opinion. I haven't found Catch in Focus to be as precise as a magnified live view.

07-01-2022, 01:00 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Catch in focus is a little sloppy for Macro in my opinion. I haven't found Catch in Focus to be as precise as a magnified live view.
It isn't! The reason is that it relies on the AF sensor, even though it is in spot mode. I honestly think that AF is the weakest link, at least for my K1 ii as I haven't played with any other model.

At least with magnification and highlighting, you can see what is in and out of focus. This is difficult to use on moving insects though and much easier on static subjects like flora.

With insects which run around flowers, petals or anywhere else, I find that magnification can be a little clunky too. The reason is that you need to press the shutter twice: the first time to exit magnification mode, and the second to take the shot. By that time the insect is out of focus :-/

Perhaps someone with more experience will chime in with a surefire way to achieve this but I guess there are many good options for static subjects but for moving subjects it seems to a bit of a hit or miss scenario.
07-01-2022, 11:23 PM - 2 Likes   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kayasaman Quote
The Nikon unfortunately has neither of these modes.
What you are looking for is focus trap you first want to set menu a2 to Focus then setup a8 to AF-ON only

Now you should be able to press the shutter and it should work like catch in focus you can also use a cable release button and lock the shutter to act as a remote camera
I even think with the D500 you can select AF-C with the same setups this option should allow you to select a group of AF points rather than relying on a single AF point

Focus-Trap Shooting on the D500 and D850

---------- Post added 07-01-2022 at 11:26 PM ----------

Catch in focus is a little sloppy for Macro in my opinion.
Other than using CIF to setup the camera as a trail cam I have not liked using CIF and definitely not for macro
07-02-2022, 03:30 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
What you are looking for is focus trap you first want to set menu a2 to Focus then setup a8 to AF-ON only

Now you should be able to press the shutter and it should work like catch in focus you can also use a cable release button and lock the shutter to act as a remote camera
I even think with the D500 you can select AF-C with the same setups this option should allow you to select a group of AF points rather than relying on a single AF point

Focus-Trap Shooting on the D500 and D850[COLOR="Silver"]

Ian, the camera is still firing despite making the adjustments?

Could be because I am using an MF only lens currently? It's a 1977 era 50mm f/1.8 that came together with the Nikon FM.

I tried with the camera set in both MF and AF modes and even changed the AF mode from AF-S to AF-C but nothing made a difference. The shutter still fires and captures an out of focus image??

Maybe there is another setting which also needs to be set?

07-02-2022, 04:32 AM   #68
dlhawes

I got my grandson a D500, but that was mainly because he was already comfortable with Nikon. Certainly a competent camera, but I bought a Canon 90D for myself for birds and wildlife. I never even considered the K3 in any version, don't want one, wouldn't have it. Sometimes I use the KP, which I think is probably the best all-around digital camera that Pentax has produced, post-Ricoh.

I also failed to consider mirrorless cameras. Though they have faster frame rates, there is no optical viewfinder (they call them that, but they don't rely on optics, but conversion of optics to digital data and back again - too slow for birds on the move). If the viewfinder is not faster than my eyes and brain, it's an impediment, not a help.

Oh, and get you a macro focusing rail for use with the k-1. I actually use two of them cobbled together, though I sacrifice the precision you get with one that has a knob and gears for tiny adjustments.
07-02-2022, 05:09 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
I got my grandson a D500, but that was mainly because he was already comfortable with Nikon. Certainly a competent camera, but I bought a Canon 90D for myself for birds and wildlife. I never even considered the K3 in any version, don't want one, wouldn't have it. Sometimes I use the KP, which I think is probably the best all-around digital camera that Pentax has produced, post-Ricoh.

I also failed to consider mirrorless cameras. Though they have faster frame rates, there is no optical viewfinder (they call them that, but they don't rely on optics, but conversion of optics to digital data and back again - too slow for birds on the move). If the viewfinder is not faster than my eyes and brain, it's an impediment, not a help.

Oh, and get you a macro focusing rail for use with the k-1. I actually use two of them cobbled together, though I sacrifice the precision you get with one that has a knob and gears for tiny adjustments.
The mirrorless cameras have an EVF or electronic view finder. From what I am reading, this is very laggy. The refresh rate on the higher end more expensive models is better but currently does not compare with mirrored cameras. It is like I said previously that mirrorless technology is new and still developing and lacks the maturity of DSLR's.

I did ask about the EOS 90D but was advised against it. I'm not sure if Canon has based the 90D on the higher performance pro models. The D500 has many components from the top level D5. That is what I was looking for.

As for Pentax.... the K3 iii and the K1 ii are formidable cameras. I really wanted to lean towards the K3 iii for AstroTracer generation 3 but inevitably lens choice and uncertainty of the AF and burst rates led me away.

Instead of AT3 I really need to grab one of these: RST-135 - Rainbow Astro

which when coupled with Kstars and indi/EKOS will have no issues. Instead of polar aligning I can just plate solve in EKOS which uses the powerful astrometry.net database in anycase. After that I can start thinking about a cooled CCD from Moravian Instruments and a proper scope.

I think my interests in photography probably lie within the extreme niche range rather then the generic range that most people are accustomed to.

Eventually I may end up with something like this:

https://www.swagastro.com/uploads/2/3/3/7/23377322/cables_3.jpg

That would be incredible!!
07-02-2022, 07:24 AM - 2 Likes   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Modern EVF's generally have very little lag. Folks on other forums routinely show off how they catch swallows in flight - small, fast, erratic movers - with their mirrorless cameras.

Here is an example by a user called "arbitrage" on Fred Miranda:

The most important things are to learn your gear and learn your subjects.
07-02-2022, 07:29 AM - 2 Likes   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Modern EVF's generally have very little lag. Folks on other forums routinely show off how they catch swallows in flight - small, fast, erratic movers - with their mirrorless cameras.

Truth. However the best EVF’s are in cameras that are very expensive. The d500 is a bargain compared to an a9ii or a1 as an example.
07-02-2022, 10:47 AM   #72
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Truth. However the best EVF’s are in cameras that are very expensive. The d500 is a bargain compared to an a9ii or a1 as an example.

Yeah, exactly. I mean sure who wouldn't want a Canon R3 or Nikon Z9 or top model Sony... but then things start becoming pricey and a little tricky due to mixing and matching DSLR and mirrorless lenses.

For myself, I can say that it's better to have something that works. Perhaps the D500 is a little older but it can still wipe the floor speed wise to my K1. I also need to start thinking about astro equipment as that can be even more pricey then the top model cameras.

You can easily spend $12000-15000 on a 10Micron mount and that's just the base model!!!

GM1000 HPS telescope mount with absolute encoders, no autoguiding

One thing that I have been putting on the back burner is the astro rig I want to build. The reason is that photography is like an adventure. There are many forms and disciplines which all need their own equipment.

Having a cooled CCD camera like the MI G3 or CMOS version in C3 guise, will mean that capturing non visible wavelengths will be a breeze with the right filters:

C3 Series CMOS Cameras

Virtually, I guess I'm trying to explore as much as I can before forking out the big bucks and getting really serious. Another reason why the astro stuff is being delayed is due my location not being ideal for imaging due to light pollution. I need to build a portable setup and then go somewhere with a low Bortle sky before attempting any serious imaging in this area. Currently my area is a 'white' zone meaning with standard DSLR camera is more or less hopeless unless you want to take 3000+ frames on each subject then process them to hell and back to get the white gunk out :-(

---------- Post added 07-02-22 at 10:51 AM ----------

I totally agree to this too!! :-)

Probably one of the best points that needs to be made. Especially with terrestrial subjects.
07-13-2022, 02:34 PM - 3 Likes   #73
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ Sounds good!

There's really nothing else out there in the APS-C format that can touch the D500's AF & buffer performance. Not even the Sony a6600 or whatever the latest Fujifilm camera is. Maybe the eventual K-3IV will surpass the D500's AF performance by +-2028, but you know what? I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't. Hahaha!
I have a D500 inbound so any comments I make can be based on actually using the cameras being discussed. No plans at the moment to keep it long as I'm firmly in the Pentax camp with investments in bodies and lenses, but I'm not afraid to look.
07-13-2022, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

^ Coolness! Looking forward to your K-3III & D500 thoughts.
07-13-2022, 03:25 PM   #75
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I have a D500 inbound so any comments I make can be based on actually using the cameras being discussed. No plans at the moment to keep it long as I'm firmly in the Pentax camp with investments in bodies and lenses, but I'm not afraid to look.
I'm getting two lenses delivered tomorrow. Should have been today buy UPS international delivery ugh :-(

The lenses I'm getting are the Nikkor 18-300mm and the Sigma 105mm Macro.

Right now I have only managed to play with my 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor from the 1970's. What a lens but I don't see how anyone can work at 75mm?? I agree with what was written on the Ken Rockwell website about focal lengths 50-100mm being quite useless unless your a portrait guy.

I did manage some night time star shots with this lens and it's amazing. Will probably post back in a few days once I had a chance to play with new lenses. My primary focus is speed and AF. Though I also grabbed the Godox MF12 and ProX control unit for both Pentax and Nikon.

Between them, they are sized quite similarly and have similar ergonomics. I prefer the K1 as everything is pretty much hands on and infront of you. With the D500 you have to setup a big array of customized menus etc... to get what you want accessible fast.

If the K1 had the speed and some of the other interesting features of the D500 there would be no need to look outside of the Pentax camp. The K1 is a beast and remains my favorite!

I just wish that Sigma and Tokina would also make their new lenses in Pentax mount too. Also I wish that Samyang would offer it's higher quality range of lenses in Pentax mount too. I love my 24mm but no weather sealing and man does that baby flare up when pointed at certain angles towards strong light.

I'll hopefully be able to post back tomorrow with some AF testing. From what I've seen in Ian's work and test shots I don't think I have anything to fear with the Nikon.

For some reason though, it doesn't feel the same as the K1 in the sense that with the K1 composing shots and thinking things through are much more needed. Probably because all my good lenses lack AF so I have to really consider things carefully.

I'm not sure if I'd ever invest in Pentax brand lenses?? Like I have said before, they're sharp but not ultra clinically sharp. Maybe it's a Korean thing as both Samyang and Irix are made in Korea.

On my list of lenses to get for the K1 still are the Irix 15mm. 30mm, 45mm and Samyang 135mm.

Would love to grab the Sigma Art 14mm for the K1 and really test it on star scapes but not available. Same for the 10mm Samyang XP (though that might be APS-C only).

The D500 does lack focus peaking which is only available on the D850 and perhaps 750 full-frame bodies. That makes MF work a little more tricky and less solid then the K1.

Another plus for the D500 is the internal intervalometer is way better then the K1. It has more functionality and there might not even be any need for my JJC. Normally when shooting astro I am using the JJC wireless controller programmed to 20 shots with a 5s interval between frames. Even with AstroTracer I have to manually move the camera after that time. It's a bit of a PITA as doing that is pretty tedious when needing around 1400 frames for a bright galaxy at 3.5 million light years distance to show up clearly :-(

In terms of low light capability, I am usually at ISO 100 or 200 max 400 with the 50mm stopped down to f/2.8 and a shutter of max 6s (no AT on D500).

I can't really say anything about the dynamic range or vibrance of the images yet. I did get some red sun sets which looked pretty good but at 75mm FoV, it's a little limitting to tell exactly how it compares to the 24mm Samyang on the K1.

Let's see what happens tomorrow!! Stay tuned :-)

---------- Post added 07-13-22 at 03:44 PM ----------

@gatorguy , this might be of use to you:

https://photographylife.com/cameras/nikon-d500/recommended-settings

Most of the contributors to that site are based in CO with the lead guy who also lectures in photography to students being based out of Denver. Yep there are pretty amazing images spread around. One guide I was following was this one:

https://photographylife.com/wildlife-photography-tutorial/2

They were also using a 600mm Sigma (I think) for the bear shots. Would not want to be shooting a bear at 50mm, I can say that for sure!!! lol

Another great read, though I find a bit contradictory at times (it might be just be my understanding or lack of) is this one:

Ken Rockwell's Camera and Lens Reviews

Unfortunately the latest Pentax camera reviewed is the K3 ii. No K1 or K3 iii

It's still a good read for someone who at least most of the time isn't biased.... though this is where I do see some contradiction at times but it might be my own misunderstanding in general :-/