Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2022, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Steampunk at Woodford Academy

I took my Fuji XT4, XT30II, Kipon Handevision 40mm/0.85, Zeiss Touit 32/1.8 and the XF16/1.4. Here's the snaps, enjoy;

https://www.eddysummers.com.au/blog/woodford-academy-on-steam

Thanks for looking.

07-18-2022, 03:05 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots Eddy.
07-18-2022, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very nice set there, well composed and lit. I imagine that was a blast to do, well done.
07-18-2022, 03:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Nice shots Eddy.
Thanks Mark.

---------- Post added 07-19-22 at 08:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
A very nice set there, well composed and lit. I imagine that was a blast to do, well done.
Thanks Kevin, yeh this gang are a great bunch always willing

07-23-2022, 12:47 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I took my Fuji XT4, XT30II, Kipon Handevision 40mm/0.85, Zeiss Touit 32/1.8 and the XF16/1.4. Here's the snaps, enjoy;

https://www.eddysummers.com.au/blog/woodford-academy-on-steam

Thanks for looking.
Lovely pics Eddy. I like the mood, did you use Fuji presets or your own recipe ?
I was considering serioulsy the XT4, but well, I couldn't afford two cameras .

Regards.
07-23-2022, 02:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
I was considering serioulsy the XT4, but well, I couldn't afford two cameras
Yes, the T4 is a considerable outlay.However,its not expensive to buy into the early Fuji bodies and lenses if you want to have a try of the system.

Eddy uses up to date stuff due to having to earn money.If you are just a hobbyist(like most people)just a few hundred can help you have plenty of fun.
07-23-2022, 03:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lovely pics Eddy. I like the mood, did you use Fuji presets or your own recipe ?
I was considering serioulsy the XT4, but well, I couldn't afford two cameras .

Regards.
These were 'my own' recipes (meaning I used some LUTs or Profiles as base, but weakened the opacity and played with calibration further to get the look I wanted. These shots here however are PSOOCs from Fuji (lightly retouched jpgs); https://www.eddysummers.com.au/blog/all-this-time

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes, the T4 is a considerable outlay.However,its not expensive to buy into the early Fuji bodies and lenses if you want to have a try of the system.

Eddy uses up to date stuff due to having to earn money.If you are just a hobbyist(like most people)just a few hundred can help you have plenty of fun.
I actually chose recently the little XT30II as a backup body to the XT4, had for $1150AUD new. Man... what a steal of a camera that is, I'll be doing a review in due time on that camera, it's quite astonishing to me that you can basically pay half the price of an XT4 and end up with a camera that has the same IQ.

07-25-2022, 09:31 AM   #8
Pentaxian

In my case I get some extra income from photography, not a lot, but enough to get some equipment from time to time.
I've been always taking an eye to the Fujifilm system, when the idea to get, switch to, or maybe just try another system appeared in my head.
But this year I decided to realize it, and the X-T4 was one of the candidates. I was reading reviews, comparing pics, reading the Fujifilm ambassors page (love Kevin Mullins work). I got a great offer for a X-T4 + 16-80/4 'kit', and I was really about to hit the 'buy' button.
Although I finally did not decide on this camera/system, I still have the idea of ​​​​trying it.

I actually chose recently the little XT30II as a backup body to the XT4, had for $1150AUD new. Man... what a steal of a camera that is, I'll be doing a review in due time on that camera, it's quite astonishing to me that you can basically pay half the price of an XT4 and end up with a camera that has the same IQ.
It seems a terrific camera, and it's super cheap in my area, so tempting

Enjoy your cameras
07-25-2022, 01:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
In my case I get some extra income from photography, not a lot, but enough to get some equipment from time to time.
I've been always taking an eye to the Fujifilm system, when the idea to get, switch to, or maybe just try another system appeared in my head.
But this year I decided to realize it, and the X-T4 was one of the candidates. I was reading reviews, comparing pics, reading the Fujifilm ambassors page (love Kevin Mullins work). I got a great offer for a X-T4 + 16-80/4 'kit', and I was really about to hit the 'buy' button.
Although I finally did not decide on this camera/system, I still have the idea of ​​​​trying it.

Enjoy your cameras
Once the K3III was announced and that it had a fixed screen, I knew it was not the next camera for me. I wanted to retire the KP and choose something better for event/wedding work along side my K-1, so I started looking elsewhere. I decided that if I did like Fuji that much, then to get a complete kit + backup bodies then that brand would also likely be the most affordable. So I didn't want to mess about with poor first impressions, I bought the XT4 (their then flagship) so that I would be experiencing their best camera in every regard (EVF IQ etc etc), basically I wanted to give Fuji every chance to impress me on a MILC level (up until that time I had only ever used DSLRs). I also decided that I would like to get a bit of a Youtube presence going and once again the K3III would not be as well suited to this task so this also factored into the decision making process.
Well... fast track 18 months more and I decided to retire the Pentax from that type of work entirely and just grab a back up body to the XT4 and the XT30II ticked all the right boxes at the right price.

I feel like for this line of work Fuji really assists in all the ways that matter and free me up more from a creative point of view. I could sum up the experience to being that IQ wise Fuji falls short to Pentax/Ricoh but its only slight and in the grand scheme of things is not that important for what I do. Pixel peepers will be happier with Pentax.
07-25-2022, 11:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Its a great "little" cameras good way to get into Fuji IF ya want the traditional dial/controls.The alternative for nearly the same price though is the X-S10 which is like a minature Dslr but smaller, lighter and its got all the Fuji innards.Very easy for a PASM user to try Fuji.IBIS too.
07-26-2022, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Once the K3III was announced and that it had a fixed screen, I knew it was not the next camera for me. I wanted to retire the KP and choose something better for event/wedding work along side my K-1, so I started looking elsewhere. I decided that if I did like Fuji that much, then to get a complete kit + backup bodies then that brand would also likely be the most affordable. So I didn't want to mess about with poor first impressions, I bought the XT4 (their then flagship) so that I would be experiencing their best camera in every regard (EVF IQ etc etc), basically I wanted to give Fuji every chance to impress me on a MILC level (up until that time I had only ever used DSLRs). I also decided that I would like to get a bit of a Youtube presence going and once again the K3III would not be as well suited to this task so this also factored into the decision making process.
Well... fast track 18 months more and I decided to retire the Pentax from that type of work entirely and just grab a back up body to the XT4 and the XT30II ticked all the right boxes at the right price.

I feel like for this line of work Fuji really assists in all the ways that matter and free me up more from a creative point of view. I could sum up the experience to being that IQ wise Fuji falls short to Pentax/Ricoh but its only slight and in the grand scheme of things is not that important for what I do. Pixel peepers will be happier with Pentax.
In my case, I also thought about not continuing with Pentax after K3III price was announced. Price was quite high for me, near 2k euro. With 2k€ I could buy a lot, including a flagship camera from several brands, cameras with great video features included (well, I don't use video a lot, but it's included for free).
I also realized that I had a collection of glasses without too much sense. It was time to think about what I really needed and quite possibly to buy more modern lenses. Why not just buy a new DFA 50mm to 'calm my anxiety' ? Maybe a lightly used K1-II body to get into 'FF quality' ?... Everything led me to a radical change in my photographic equipment.
I also had my own issues with my Pentax equipment, so I decided to start my search for another system.
That was a very interesting time for me, I didn't have to search for bodies or lenses compatible with anything I already owned, since I was starting from scratch, I was not tied to any brand.
I finally got a Nikon Z6 II and some Z lenses (I just wanted to get 100% brand equipment, avoiding mistakes made in the past). I considered price, size, focusing system, FF sensor, glass quality... I liked the idea of a FF camera with just 24Mpx and smaller than my APSC. I really liked how Nikon RAWs looked in CO, maybe this was the point that made me decide for the z system (or it was the marketing )
I considered Fuji XT4 too, and It might have been interesting to have both cameras for a month, who knows, maybe I would have chosen Fuji. I think Fuji is more polished, mature MLC system, but I see a lot of future into the Z system.
During my 'classical' job in past May, I dediced to use just the Z camera and two primes instead of zooms (first time for me). I got a backup Pentax camera just in case, but didn`t use it. The experience was satisfying and the results were equally satisfying. The new focusing system was a great help with composition tasks, a kind of liberating experience.
So after the job, I accelerated the selling of my Pentax equipment. It was a bit sad when I sold my last Pentax camera, but it's done. With the sale of my old equipment I have financed the purchase of the new one almost completely.
So, for my paid jobs it is a camera that works for me. It's also small and light enough to grab it with me in my personal or family outings, so I'm enyoing it. I think I took a good decision, at the end.
Regards.

---------- Post added 26-07-22 at 02:03 PM ----------

Its a great "little" cameras good way to get into Fuji IF ya want the traditional dial/controls.The alternative for nearly the same price though is the X-S10 which is like a minature Dslr but smaller, lighter and its got all the Fuji innards.Very easy for a PASM user to try Fuji.IBIS too.
One thing that I like from Fuji is the retro look and the dials (oh, don't forget the Fuji colors). Having said that, I don't know if I could get used to it or not. In my area I can get this camera + kit lens for about 850€ not bad, similar price than a Z 35mm lens. But I will have to wait for the next year, I'm still assimilating the system change

Regards.
07-26-2022, 07:02 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

My 2 cents...

I'm seriously doubting anyone on these forums, whether shooting Canon, or Fuji or Pentax, is making a living from photography today. Sure, some of us may do a few weddings here or there, get hired for a few headshots, or retained by a band or three for promo shots. But we aren't dependent on what we make from what's essentially a really great hobby. It's simply extra pocket money.

I say shoot what you like, whatever gives you the most pleasure, and not whether it's presumed capable of supporting a family from using it for paid work. Technically I'd be deemed professional. My shooting partner and I will be doing a few paid events for school athletics this fall, have an engagement shoot scheduled (doesn't pay much), a wedding on the calendar (fewer and fewer of those and at less money), a couple of event shoots (lots of charities, little pay), and recently did corporate headshots for an East Coast company. None of it pays enough to quit day jobs. At best it allows us to purchase some photography gear, pays for gas and travel, gear insurance, some of the software, a few meals out, and not a lot else. "Gosh, I need this to make money with" is one of the excuses I give my wife, but in reality not really. Break-even as long as we don't squint is closer to the truth.

So why do we do it? Because we love the art of photography. We can call ourselves professionals and create all the trappings of a profitable business, but at the end of the day we do it because we are entranced by the craft. Be happy with your gear and worry far less about whether its' "professional enough". Talent trumps camera, and loving what you do trumps it all. If what you use now isn't making you giddy, then look around and research if you have the funds to dabble. Personally I wouldn't sell off my current kit before being certain a new one is viable; you wouldn't be the first to find changing systems didn't make the difference you had assumed it would. I think we recently had a thread from someone else who had changed over to Fuji only to discover it wasn't making him happy and now he's returned. But he sold off his previous kit and now has to put it together again.

Oh, and nice shots Eddy. Sorry for the distraction from your photos. We'll get the thread back on track

Steampunk events here have been sparse the past couple of years, and the ones that have gone on are not nearly as vibrant as they were pre-Covid. I love shooting 'em, and made a lot of friends among cast and attendees, so hoping things settle back into normalcy sooner rather than later. I had finally put together my own complete character garb (took three years) and never had a chance to display it properly.

Last edited by gatorguy; 07-26-2022 at 09:32 AM.
07-26-2022, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I'm seriously doubting anyone on these forums, whether shooting Canon, or Fuji or Pentax, is making a living from photography today. Sure, some of us may do a few weddings here or there, get hired for a few headshots, or retained by a band or three for promo shots. But we aren't dependent on what we make from what's essentially a really great hobby. It's simply extra pocket money.

I say shoot what you like, whatever gives you the most pleasure, and not whether it's presumed capable of supporting a family from using it for paid work. Technically I'd be deemed professional. My shooting partner and I will be doing a few paid events for school athletics this fall, have an engagement shoot scheduled (doesn't pay much), a wedding on the calendar (fewer and fewer of those and at less money), a couple of event shoots (lots of charities, little pay), and recently did corporate headshots for an East Coast company. None of it pays enough to quit day jobs. At best it allows us to purchase some photography gear, pays for gas and travel, gear insurance, some of the software, a few meals out, and not a lot else. "Gosh, I need this to make money with" is one of the excuses I give my wife, but in reality not really. Break-even as long as we don't squint is closer to the truth.
I am very far from making a living from photography, and I have never really considered it. I have a stable work as a cloud engineer. Photography started as a hobby, but it's a expensive hobby. In 2011 I got the opportunity to make a real paid work, an event at a Church for eleven families.
What I thought is that I had two options:
1. not do it and leave photography as a hobby without further pretensions.
2. do it, then two things could happen:
a. do a bad job, possibly not try again, and continue with my hobby
b. do a decent job, repeat and see where it takes me.
Well, although I had a lot of difficulties, everything went well this year.
But something that you have mentioned appeared there, the issue of buying equipment because 'I need it to...'. That first year I had only my K10D and decided to get another camera, a K-7. And years later I've been adding lenses, cameras, lights and so on. A neccesity or an excuse? In my case is easy: such jobs allow me to buy/renew equipment. I use to buy something new every year, but nothing excessive: sometimes a new light, an accesory, occasionally a new camera (I think one every 4-5 years). This year I made a heavy inversion, but I also sold a lot of old equipment, so at the end it didn't cost me a lot.
So why do we do it? Because we love the art of photography. We can call ourselves professionals and create all the trappings of a profitable business, but at the end of the day we do it because we are entranced by the craft. Be happy with your gear and worry far less about whether its' "professional enough". Talent trumps camera, and loving what you do trumps it all. If what you use now isn't making you giddy, then look around and research if you have the funds to dabble. Personally I wouldn't sell off my current kit before being certain a new one is viable; you wouldn't be the first to find changing systems didn't make the difference you had assumed it would. I think we recently had a thread from someone else who had changed over to Fuji only to discover it wasn't making him happy and now he's returned. But he sold off his previous kit and now has to put it together again.
Why do I do it? On one side it's a challenge for me, of course I like to get some extra income, but I also like the moment when I show the pics (usually to the mother) and I see such expression in her face (it means she liked the pics). In my case it's not a profitable business (incomes vs expenses), it helps with some payments but not a lot more. Fortunately I have another work.
About selling my kit to get another, I did it only after testing the new one was right for me (I'm sorry for the Fuji guy). I didn't expect to just get better pics magically, I'm the same photographer. But I could compare shooting experience and results with both systems for the same work.
At the end, customers doesn't care about your camera, native ISO, or whether you can recover 2EV of overexposure, they just want their kids to look good. They are going to pay the same regardless you shoot with Pentax, Nikon or Fuji.

Regards.
07-26-2022, 05:51 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeh the XS10 was a contender as a backup to my XT4 for a long time, but in the end the XT30II won out, why?

1) Price, the XS10 on a good day here is $1399AUD, the XT30II $1150.
2) Build quality. The XT30II feels like a miniature XT4 in terms of pieces and parts, the XS10 (only had a quick go of it) felt a little... 'plastic', like a fisher price toy or something, but it was super comfy to hold!
3) Size/weight. The XT30II really is small, and stows away easier due to being flatter. Sounds silly but it was actually important to me for event work as I predominately shoot with one camera and lens swap and only dual wield occasionally at more frantic moments. So the second body needs to be on my person for 'what if' moments and not something that requires me to leave and go to base to retrieve it etc.
4) Better stills performance. A seldom mentioned point but the XT30II has I believe an upgrade to the buffer and out performs the XS10.
5) Someone made a good argument that the XS10 IBIS is not that great (don't be expecting XT4 results etc), and that spending the money you save on grabbing an XT30II instead of an XS10 would be better spent on a dedicated gimbal, and that for about the same overall price as an XS10 you would have a much better 'IBIS video' experience.

I'll do a mini review of the XT30II soon on my channel and will post here.

In my case, I also thought about not continuing with Pentax after K3III price was announced. Price was quite high for me, near 2k euro. With 2k€ I could buy a lot, including a flagship camera from several brands, cameras with great video features included (well, I don't use video a lot, but it's included for free).
I also realized that I had a collection of glasses without too much sense. It was time to think about what I really needed and quite possibly to buy more modern lenses. Why not just buy a new DFA 50mm to 'calm my anxiety' ? Maybe a lightly used K1-II body to get into 'FF quality' ?... Everything led me to a radical change in my photographic equipment.
I also had my own issues with my Pentax equipment, so I decided to start my search for another system.
That was a very interesting time for me, I didn't have to search for bodies or lenses compatible with anything I already owned, since I was starting from scratch, I was not tied to any brand.
I finally got a Nikon Z6 II and some Z lenses (I just wanted to get 100% brand equipment, avoiding mistakes made in the past). I considered price, size, focusing system, FF sensor, glass quality... I liked the idea of a FF camera with just 24Mpx and smaller than my APSC. I really liked how Nikon RAWs looked in CO, maybe this was the point that made me decide for the z system (or it was the marketing )
I considered Fuji XT4 too, and It might have been interesting to have both cameras for a month, who knows, maybe I would have chosen Fuji. I think Fuji is more polished, mature MLC system, but I see a lot of future into the Z system.
During my 'classical' job in past May, I dediced to use just the Z camera and two primes instead of zooms (first time for me). I got a backup Pentax camera just in case, but didn`t use it. The experience was satisfying and the results were equally satisfying. The new focusing system was a great help with composition tasks, a kind of liberating experience.
So after the job, I accelerated the selling of my Pentax equipment. It was a bit sad when I sold my last Pentax camera, but it's done. With the sale of my old equipment I have financed the purchase of the new one almost completely.
So, for my paid jobs it is a camera that works for me. It's also small and light enough to grab it with me in my personal or family outings, so I'm enyoing it. I think I took a good decision, at the end.
Regards.

---------- Post added 26-07-22 at 02:03 PM ----------

One thing that I like from Fuji is the retro look and the dials (oh, don't forget the Fuji colors). Having said that, I don't know if I could get used to it or not. In my area I can get this camera + kit lens for about 850€ not bad, similar price than a Z 35mm lens. But I will have to wait for the next year, I'm still assimilating the system change

Regards.
Yeh my fellow Pentaxian mate went with a Z6II after the K-1 and couldn't be happier, it seems a fantastic camera. He just had a little more disposable income as he actually sold all his Pentax gear (unlike I who have held onto my K-1 and 645D), and with him no longer doing event work he could just invest more in a single body rather than being constrained by having to factor in back up bodies and complete lens kit etc.

My 2 cents...

Oh, and nice shots Eddy. Sorry for the distraction from your photos. We'll get the thread back on track

Steampunk events here have been sparse the past couple of years, and the ones that have gone on are not nearly as vibrant as they were pre-Covid. I love shooting 'em, and made a lot of friends among cast and attendees, so hoping things settle back into normalcy sooner rather than later. I had finally put together my own complete character garb (took three years) and never had a chance to display it properly.
I think you describe the vast majority of shooters, indeed its a p/t job. For me the scales have tipped and I do earn more now from photography than my main job but I am still not earning enough to completely ditch it. I have friends here that shoot weddings and its their sole income, so its definitely doable but it can take a few years to get that ball rolling well and truly and get established.

The AIPP (Australian Institute of Professional Photography) claimed an actual financial earning that you needed to reach before being considered 'professional'. I don't know how I feel about this, on the one hand I agree, professional means profession? i.e. job. And how can anyone survive on $5k a year from occasional work. But on the other hand it doesn't necessarily reflect a certain standard of work that some might look at and say 'this looks professional' vs 'this is actually pretty trash, how the hell do they get enough work to do this level of garbage, do the public have no taste?' etc. Anyway, AIPP folded, Australia is without a governing body for photography which I think speaks volumes in itself.

Distractions welcomed, I am Mr Tangent man himself.
07-27-2022, 06:27 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Yeh the XS10 was a contender as a backup to my XT4 for a long time, but in the end the XT30II won out, why?

1) Price, the XS10 on a good day here is $1399AUD, the XT30II $1150.
2) Build quality. The XT30II feels like a miniature XT4 in terms of pieces and parts, the XS10 (only had a quick go of it) felt a little... 'plastic', like a fisher price toy or something, but it was super comfy to hold!
3) Size/weight. The XT30II really is small, and stows away easier due to being flatter. Sounds silly but it was actually important to me for event work as I predominately shoot with one camera and lens swap and only dual wield occasionally at more frantic moments. So the second body needs to be on my person for 'what if' moments and not something that requires me to leave and go to base to retrieve it etc.
4) Better stills performance. A seldom mentioned point but the XT30II has I believe an upgrade to the buffer and out performs the XS10.
5) Someone made a good argument that the XS10 IBIS is not that great (don't be expecting XT4 results etc), and that spending the money you save on grabbing an XT30II instead of an XS10 would be better spent on a dedicated gimbal, and that for about the same overall price as an XS10 you would have a much better 'IBIS video' experience.

I'll do a mini review of the XT30II soon on my channel and will post here.
I'll look forward to the T30ll review.

1/ My S10 was A$ 1310 a few months after release and my T30 was A$ 1250(in 2019),hence my " nearly the same price".All these prices come down to where you look and if Fuji are in their discount period of "cashBacks"
2/Yes,but ive added a textured cover to the S10 which changes the feel completely.My favourite Fuji.
3/Yes,Since Ive had the S10 the T30 has the 27mm on permanently and takes up almost zero space.
4/ Do your homework, they are exactly the same.
5/ T4 has 6.5 and S10 6..."someone" whoever that is values point 5 pretty highly.Just recently a new gimbal was reviewed,looks great.Phone/action cams/small mirrorless.

---------- Post added 07-28-22 at 12:53 AM ----------

Regards.
Next year you will probably get a much better price, due to the fact that the new seń$or(S)/processors will be available.Maybe for the 850Euro a superior body?kit lens can get your attention.

Last edited by surfar; 07-27-2022 at 06:36 AM.