Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 37 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2022, 01:20 AM   #31

Photos: Albums
Agree with the ISO performance being #1. With respect to m4/3, I have a smaller lens camera, sony zv-1, and I learned I really don't want to push ISO on sensors that are smaller than aps-c. Maybe the latest sensor in the OM-1 can compete in ISO with APS-C cameras, but seriously, then I'm looking at a price point 10 times more than e.g. any decent used Pentax K5 that would already give me the ISO performance I want, and with the same body size and also having weather resistance. There's a reason I'm a Pentax user

X-S10 is on my wishlist to eventually become body for my beautiful zeiss 32mm, has advantage that it's a photo and video all-rounder, and from what I've read it has one of the better grips of all Fuji cameras, which also helps against shake. Price not dropping for the X-S10 though, even used. Was hoping for a drop of the older Fuji IBIS cameras with introduction of the X-H2 but nothing happening yet. 2020s is crazy time for the digital camera market.

08-04-2022, 01:37 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pimpim Quote
Maybe the latest sensor in the OM-1 can compete in ISO with APS-C cameras
From what I've seen, not really. I mean, let's say the claimed improvement is 2 stops. Well, I get color blotches in the shadow areas at base ISO on E-M1X, so 2 stops is not much. And I don't think it's 2 stops improvement. From what I've read, it's more along the lines of 1/2 stop. I think m43 is maxed out as it is as far as low-light goes.

from what I've read it has one of the better grips of all Fuji cameras
I think most reviewers have very small hands. If you've got average or larger hands, you'd be disappointed by the grip. It's one of those "slide your pinky under the body" type of deals. Having said that, glass up to around 300g, it's probably not going to be much of an issue anyway as the body itself is not heavy.

Was hoping for a drop of the older Fuji IBIS cameras with introduction of the X-H2 but nothing happening yet.
X-H1 has a cult following and I think it's even stronger now that X-H2S has switched to a DSLR-style command layout.
08-04-2022, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My understanding of essential tremor is that higher weight helps dampen the tremors. We bought special utensils for my father in law to use for that reason. Maybe a KP or k3iii with a grip?
08-04-2022, 03:44 PM - 2 Likes   #34

Adequate Nikon FF bodies:
D3 very stable hardware and still capable today, pro grade body, heavy

D700 basically a smaller version of the D3
D4 very stable hardware still capable and a very nice Renaissance sensor (bought by Sony), pro grade, heavy
Df same sensor as the D4 but AF system of the D6x0 series, you can use all F lenses even pre AI out of the box, although most Nikon F cameras can be modified with a collapsible aperture feeler as used in the Df.
D600 steer away as the camera shutter is spitting oil on the sensor, reason why the camera was so quickly replaced by the D610, not the best AF module and the sensor is not great either.
D610 not the best sensor (although I have never used one myself) and not a first class AF system.
D750 very nice camera, if you have a good one! At least 3 service bulletins from Nikon regarding the shutter, if considering a D750 ask for a full service history, I had issues with the AF system. I would not recommend it, although the camera is praised on forums as the best deal.

D800 some issues with misaligment of the PDAF system, some cases of oil from the shutter on the sensor

D810 stable semi pro body, with a good AF system, nice overall performance (same sensor as the K1, without the Ricoh/Pentax magic)
D850 used around the same price as the Pentax K1.
Personally I would steer towards a nice D810 as used prices are fairly low. It uses the EN-EL15(x) batteries. You have one CF and one SD card. It can use the screwdrive AF(-D) Nikkor lenses as all the later AF-S lenses. This camera can still be serviced by Nikon.
On a budget, Nikon D700 or D4. Take note the D4 has a XQD card slot (mine had) as a SD card slot (if my mem is right). Spare batteries can be expensive for the D4. D700 batteries are from an older type.

If considering APS-C: the 7xxx series is compatible with AF(-D) lenses. NOT the 3xxx and 5xxx series (manual focus only).

08-04-2022, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hayavuk Quote
I'm not suggesting that my situation is the same as your as it probably isn't. I am hoping that how I got over mine might give you some ideas, though. I wasn't able to effectively hand-hold heavy gear for a long while. Then I started going to the gym and doing exercises. Now, 2kg of gear in one hand is not a big problem. After that, I was able to carry my Nikon D700 around without feeling like it's a burden.

If you cannot solve the problem with gear, maybe look at the other side of the issue? Work out the issues with your hands (if possible), or maybe find a different way of shooting that would net you more keepers (including redefining the "keeper")? I imagine that doing this would be a better investment than some gear that meets your requirements.

And apologies in advance, if I've touched on a sensitive topic for you. I can appreciate that some physical issues are not trivially solved.

On a completely separate note, I find that, if you can carry heavy gear, it tends to be more stable for two-handed shooting than light gear like Fuji cameras as the larger mass has more inertia. (Up to a limit, of course.) I would bet on more keepers from a 1/20s exposure from D700 (or K-1) compared to something like an X-T3.
Camera/lens weight is not an issue for me. I've got 2 Nikon F4 and 3 Nikon F2 with MD-2/MB-1 attached. I've got a Bronica EC with prism finder. I've got 2 Pentax 645 and both A zooms. I've got a 400mm Meyer Gorlitz monster lens for Exakta bodies. I even have a 4x5 Speed Graphic... all heavy equipment. Even worse than those I've got a 55lb Chow Chow that has pulled me to the ground a few times...and I'm 250.

---------- Post added 08-04-22 at 04:16 PM ----------

I want to stay away from APC because I have 3 Pentax APC and I have a fair number of Nikon non-AI, AI/AI-s and AF-D lenses for film cameras. I ended up buying a D700. I saw one ending at 5am EST and was mint with less than 7200 clicks, battery, charger, manuals and box. It went for $242 and with tax and shipping about $260.

Thanks everyone for your input. It was excellent and I found it very valuable. Pentax forum is the best. I'd be luck to one response on the Nikon forum.
08-05-2022, 01:16 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My understanding of essential tremor is that higher weight helps dampen the tremors. We bought special utensils for my father in law to use for that reason. Maybe a KP or k3iii with a grip?
I just ordered a grip for my K5/K5IIs, will try it out!
08-05-2022, 07:48 AM   #37
Pentaxian

I think it depends on whether you just want a "toy" camera to mess around with or something more serious. If the former then a camera as old as the D700 I imagine would be fine. If the latter then a D750 would be much better and there are plenty of D600s (check they've had the oil problem fixed) or D610s which are a fair bit newer than the D700.

08-05-2022, 07:55 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I think it depends on whether you just want a "toy" camera to mess around with or something more serious. If the former then a camera as old as the D700 I imagine would be fine. If the latter then a D750 would be much better and there are plenty of D600s (check they've had the oil problem fixed) or D610s which are a fair bit newer than the D700.
Agree.
08-05-2022, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I dont'understand this kind of comment... I still see professional photographers using the D700 and the 5D mark II. How can it not be "serious". If you are in control of the light and can keep your ISO low, you can't say a D750 or D800 gives a "better image" if you make small or medium prints, or if you are looking on a monitor (even 4K which is only 8MP). Unless of course one is part of the "ISO is everything" crowd in which case only the latest and greatest will do, and they should probably shoot a Fuji GFX because everything else is not really good enough, and even that won't be enough next year when a new latest and greatest is out there. (Dan at 35hunter.blog calls it The Upgrade Parade)
08-05-2022, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

Depending on what you want to do, I would definitely recommend it having just purchased a D500 myself. I needed the reach of an APS-C body with a wide range selection. Having the AF coming directly from the D5 is another bonus.

Unfortunately I haven't read all the previous comments, but you might consider mirrorless if you have the budget and want to purchase new. The old F-mount lens series is gradually being phased out in favor of the Z lenses.

This is really subject on my behalf: I like the D500 but the Nikon doesn't have very good ergonomics in comparison to my K1 ii. The imaging train is also not as good. It is a speed demon however and manages to lock onto whatever I point it at as long as the subject is within the AF design reach.

You won't be disappointed with it though, sensor noise is easily correctable and image quality is good unless you are cross comparing the Pentax K1 (ii) under extreme conditions, say astro photography.

If you want any more details please just ask, and I'll be happy to answer provided I have one. My first DSLR was the Pentax K1 ii then last month went for a D500 to fill in the lens and AF gap. So sort of similar situation for me too
08-05-2022, 09:55 AM - 2 Likes   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kayasaman Quote
Depending on what you want to do, I would definitely recommend it having just purchased a D500 myself. I needed the reach of an APS-C body with a wide range selection. Having the AF coming directly from the D5 is another bonus.

Unfortunately I haven't read all the previous comments, but you might consider mirrorless if you have the budget and want to purchase new. The old F-mount lens series is gradually being phased out in favor of the Z lenses.

This is really subject on my behalf: I like the D500 but the Nikon doesn't have very good ergonomics in comparison to my K1 ii. The imaging train is also not as good. It is a speed demon however and manages to lock onto whatever I point it at as long as the subject is within the AF design reach.

You won't be disappointed with it though, sensor noise is easily correctable and image quality is good unless you are cross comparing the Pentax K1 (ii) under extreme conditions, say astro photography.

If you want any more details please just ask, and I'll be happy to answer provided I have one. My first DSLR was the Pentax K1 ii then last month went for a D500 to fill in the lens and AF gap. So sort of similar situation for me too

I wasn't looking for APS bodies...I have 3 Pentax ones. I wouldn't mind a K1ii, and I do have allot of full frame pentax glass, but I'd rather wait for a K1iii if I went that route. I have no interest in mirrorless or purchasing new (high priced) lenses so Z isn't in my future unless I win the lottery.

I was looking for a Nikon DSLR because I have some nice AF/AF-D lenses i use with my F4 and N90s...mainly the 20-35/2.8, 35-70/2.8 and 80-200/2.8. So I was looking for something inexpensive to play with. I narrowed my list down to the D700, D750, D800,D810 and D850... and further down to D700 and D750. I was following both camera and bid on a mint D700 with less than 7200 accusations. I only bid $260 and won at $242...$261 shipped. I expected to loose that as I saw other similar auction end near $400. But I got lucky. I was also watching D750 auctions and might have gone that route given the right circumstances.

---------- Post added 08-05-22 at 10:03 AM ----------

I didn't take your "toy" reference to imply the D700 wasn't a serious camera... rather I assumed you meant a "toy" for me to play with. And yes, thats what I'm looking for. After all...these are all toys, aren't they.
08-05-2022, 10:04 AM - 2 Likes   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He wants a body to use his AF-D lenses with autofocus. Nikon Z cameras are not an option because Nikon adapter only autofocus with AF-S and AF-P. So the only choice is an FX body. D700 is the best cheap option if he doesn't mind the weigh, lesser resulution and CF cards. My cheap choice (I have one) is the D750 and I really like it.
08-05-2022, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I didn't take your "toy" reference to imply the D700 wasn't a serious camera... rather I assumed you meant a "toy" for me to play with. And yes, thats what I'm looking for. After all...these are all toys, aren't they.
08-05-2022, 10:10 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I wasn't looking for APS bodies...I have 3 Pentax ones. I wouldn't mind a K1ii, and I do have allot of full frame pentax glass, but I'd rather wait for a K1iii if I went that route. I have no interest in mirrorless or purchasing new (high priced) lenses so Z isn't in my future unless I win the lottery.

I was looking for a Nikon DSLR because I have some nice AF/AF-D lenses i use with my F4 and N90s...mainly the 20-35/2.8, 35-70/2.8 and 80-200/2.8. So I was looking for something inexpensive to play with. I narrowed my list down to the D700, D750, D800,D810 and D850... and further down to D700 and D750. I was following both camera and bid on a mint D700 with less than 7200 accusations. I only bid $260 and won at $242...$261 shipped. I expected to loose that as I saw other similar auction end near $400. But I got lucky. I was also watching D750 auctions and might have gone that route given the right circumstances.
Oh that's great! So now you're the owner of a D700

We got crossed wires... I mentioned the APS-C body because I was looking for one, not that I thought that you were looking for it as you did title the thread as FF body.

For the best all-round Nikon body, probably the 850 is going to be the best. I think it replaced the 750? So, even with a 750 you can't go wrong.

My personal circumstances where a little different though, if I had invested in a K3 iii, it would essentially be investing in a new system as I don't have any cropped sensor lenses. I wouldn't use my batch of FF lenses on the K3 as they were primarily bought for astro imaging apart from the DFA28-105mm which came with the camera.

I need to purchase 3x more Irix lenses then I am all set for landscape imaging. Though if the 15mm isn't wide enough, I will need to look at the Venus Optics 12mm.

For my Nikon I have only the Tokina 11-20mm lens and Sigma 60-600mm lens left to purchase. It's role is specifically a wildlife / moving object camera. The K1 is dedicated to landscape (especially night time) and astro.

But of course it really does depend on ones needs and what one is looking for. As you can see, my needs are pretty specific but in general I wouldn't worry too much about things as one can't really go wrong with either of the bodies you mentioned.

Once you have some, please share some of the great images you have taken.

---------- Post added 08-05-22 at 10:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
He wants a body to use his AF-D lenses with autofocus. Nikon Z cameras are not an option because Nikon adapter only autofocus with AF-S and AF-P. So the only choice is an FX body. D700 is the best cheap option if he doesn't mind the weigh, lesser resulution and CF cards. My cheap choice (I have one) is the D750 and I really like it.
Agreed! D750 and D850 are both very nice bodies
08-05-2022, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #45

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I ended up buying a D700. I saw one ending at 5am EST and was mint with less than 7200 clicks, battery, charger, manuals and box. It went for $242 and with tax and shipping about $260
Amazing deal. Congrats!

---------- Post added 08-05-22 at 11:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kayasaman Quote
For the best all-round Nikon body, probably the 850 is going to be the best. I think it replaced the 750? So, even with a 750 you can't go wrong.
D750 was replaced by the D780, which some claim is the "most refined Nikon DSLR ever made".