Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2022, 03:37 AM   #16
Pentaxian

I've been thinking about a z8 with higher megapixels count, but if it inherits z9s shutterless tech - insta turn off :/

05-10-2023, 07:13 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here it is...

Nikon Z8 initial review: Digital Photography Review

Key specifications

• 45.7MP Stacked CMOS sensor
  • Up to 20fps with Raw, 30fps full-sized JPEG
  • Pre-burst capture in JPEG modes (up to 120fps for 11MP crops)
  • Subject recognition AF and 3D Tracking
  • Synchro VR combining in-body and in-lens stabilization, rated at up to 6EV
  • 8K/60p video in N-Raw, 4.1K in ProRes Raw
  • 8K/30p or up to 4K/60p from 8K
  • Choice of ProRes 422 HQ, H265, H.264
  • N-Log or HLG capture
  • 3.68M dot EVF with dedicated low-lag sensor feed
  • 2.1M dot screen on two-way hinge
  • One CFexpress Type B, One UHS II SD slot
  • Dual USB-C ports
The Nikon Z8 will be available from late May with a recommended price of $3999.
05-10-2023, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It's like the difference between running a large restaurant at 55% capacity or running a half sized restaurant loaded at 100%, you lose some customers but the loss of few customers is far less costly than the cost of 45% unused capacity.
This is true to a point, but at some point it bites you. We had a very good sandwich deli here that tried the stay small and run full rather than have expanded seating and serving capacity. Eventually they went out of business because they lost all their customers because getting a sandwich shouldn't mean waiting in line for an hour because the place doesn't have the capacity to run any faster than that.
We see the same thing with Pentax. How many people complain about slow product development, introduction and supply? How many have jumped to or threatened to move to another brand because they don't think product development is fast enough?
05-10-2023, 08:38 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Here it is...Nikon Z8 initial review: Digital Photography Review
It's a Z9, with the vertical grip detachable as option. Excellent as hybrid camera (swiss knife camera), but the resolution is not particularly impressive for slow-still image shooters.

05-10-2023, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
I've been thinking about a z8 with higher megapixels count, but if it inherits z9s shutterless tech - insta turn off :/
Be aware that mechanical shutters create a huge quality deficit in dense sensor cameras. The Fuji X-T5 with it's 40mp sensor is not able to reach it's full resolution potential when the mechanical shutter is used. It requires a very heavy and stable tripod combined with electronic only shutter, a remote release and the best lenses Fuji makes to hit it's full resolution. If one isn't willing to go to that much work, the X-T5 is still a wonderful camera, but resolution wise, isn't significantly better than the X-T4.

Granted, the X-T5 sensor, if scaled up to full frame would be 90mp, but at some point a mechanical shutter will kill any resolution improvements that would be expected from a higher megapixel sensor. I don't know exactly where that break point will be with full frame, but I expect it would be in the 60mp range.
05-10-2023, 12:19 PM   #21
Pentaxian

As some have pointed out, it is basically a Z9 with a smaller body. The price I think is great for what it offers, though unfortunately it's out of my price range.
I know it was pretty clear that Nikon's event was only for the Z8, but I still had a faint hope that they would bring out something else, why not the successors to the Z6/7 II?
I've only been with Nikon for about a year and I'm glad to see new models coming out, although many users are still waiting for a big firmware upgrade to the Z6/7 II (which I don't think is ever coming), and others are waiting for an upgraded MK III.
A Z6 III would interest me, we'll see when it arrives and what they put inside, there is a lot of room for improvement.

Regards.
05-10-2023, 01:17 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a very capable camera and I hope they do well with it. I won't be switching because it would be far more crisp green drinking vouchers than could be justified to ditch what I have and start over, plus I like my Pentax .... .

05-18-2023, 02:27 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Here it is...

Nikon Z8 initial review: Digital Photography Review

Key specifications

• 45.7MP Stacked CMOS sensor
  • Up to 20fps with Raw, 30fps full-sized JPEG
  • Pre-burst capture in JPEG modes (up to 120fps for 11MP crops)
  • Subject recognition AF and 3D Tracking
  • Synchro VR combining in-body and in-lens stabilization, rated at up to 6EV
  • 8K/60p video in N-Raw, 4.1K in ProRes Raw
  • 8K/30p or up to 4K/60p from 8K
  • Choice of ProRes 422 HQ, H265, H.264
  • N-Log or HLG capture
  • 3.68M dot EVF with dedicated low-lag sensor feed
  • 2.1M dot screen on two-way hinge
  • One CFexpress Type B, One UHS II SD slot
  • Dual USB-C ports
The Nikon Z8 will be available from late May with a recommended price of $3999.
Kudos to Nikon for presenting a smart camera here. Cramping more pixels in a FF sensor makes little sense. The real killer feature is the fast global shutter. Same travel speed as a standard shutter, but no noise, no shake. AF is on par with standard SLR phase detection units (see Z9 reviews) and the whole fps, subject tracking, no AF fine tuning setup of mirrorless is included. It becomes quite hard to argue why a mirror is useful in a camera after 60 years of SLRs. Photography was not able to go from rangefinder directly to digital mirrorless. Great features were developed for SLR cameras. For me the Z8 is a milestone in technological development.
If you want to buy a modern classic, you don’t have to go to film, get any SLR.