Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2022, 10:38 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Did you try with an OVF or are you making assumptions?
Yes, on several occasions, but with foxes rather than a coyote. "Spray and pray" will increase chances of getting the shot, of course - and I've done my fair share of that - but it's nice to actually see the subject reasonably clearly... especially when out in the field.

QuoteQuote:
I once took an image black bear raiding my garbage at 2am without flash with a similar ISO. Much older camera so not as good result in low light and high ISO, but "impossible"... hardly.

It's always a risk telling people what they can't do on here. Invariably, someone else has done it.
As someone who has, for years, posted photos of things that supposedly "couldn't be done", it's a good thing I didn't actually say that, eh? Because of course most things have been done before

12-02-2022, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
What lens was that taken with? Nice photo. I agree that an EVF's definitely have their pros and cons, sometimes changing columns depending on the situation.
It was the Tamron Adaptall-2 SP IF - 63B 180mm F2.5, a very good lens. I adored it on APS-C, but the focal length feels awkward to me on m4/3.
12-02-2022, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Yes, on several occasions, but with foxes rather than a coyote. "Spray and pray" will increase chances of getting the shot, of course - and I've done my fair share of that - but it's nice to actually see the subject reasonably clearly... especially when out in the field.

As someone who has, for years, posted photos of things that supposedly "couldn't be done", it's a good thing I didn't actually say that, eh? Because of course most things have been done before
Years of experience produces similar conclusions.
12-02-2022, 01:19 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CraigR Quote
Ahhh...thank you.
Are you still using the X-T1?
Yes I'm still using the X-T1. Mostly for eBay product shots and I also use it for shooting other camera gear photo's for this site. The JPG's I get from this camera are just too good.

12-02-2022, 02:14 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Not true at all. I almost never use a tripod and I use manual lenses all the time on both an X-T20 and an S5 and I get great results focusing manually. I just don't do it while dancing a jig
Well, I was assuming he was referring to the sort of critical wafer-thin depth of field type of focus you enlarge the image for, which can be lost by the slightest camera movement - otherwise I agree - I never check focus when hand-holding and get perfectly satisfactory results.
12-02-2022, 03:30 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
the third thing that I have found with Fuji bodies is the jpeg engine built into them - I am not a RAW shooter - and the film simulations plus the malleability of the jpegs are just amazing...
I am also not a ‘raw shooter’ - but I spent most of my years as a slide shooter trying to avoid films with known idiosyncrasies - I wanted the closest reproduction to what I had seen.
01-11-2023, 07:30 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Advantage Pentax is the build quality (doesn't mean it's fail safe but..) that's up there with the best model across all brands. Fuji bodies are more flimsy than Pentax, I've seen some GFX50S bottom plate held by a couple of tiny screws cracked on tripod, never happened with a Pentax body that costs less than half as much. OTOH, the electronics of the latest Fujis are a couple iterations ahead of Pentax, e.g K3 III gets X-T3 sensor, while Fuji pulls ahead with next gen 40Mp sensor. The question is what we prefer: the better build quality or the latest electronics.
Better build quality? What about the aperture block failure in the K-50?

01-11-2023, 07:50 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Architecture Quote
Right, not their brightest moment and thankfully not typical of historical Pentax build quality. Every camera line has it's outliers. ... X-Pro3

Last edited by gatorguy; 01-11-2023 at 07:55 PM.
01-11-2023, 08:08 PM   #39
Pentaxian

The solenoid issue was the result of a subsupplier’s moving production to China and changing the materials. Apparently, neither company realized it would change how the solenoid would ‘age’ under Pentax’s use. Only as they were used, did Pentax realize they had a problem, and it took them a while to make modifications so it would fit well into their use.

Last edited by reh321; 01-11-2023 at 08:21 PM.
01-12-2023, 04:07 AM   #40
Pentaxian

I'm comparing flagship to flagship, not entry level to flagship. The equivalent of a Pentax K-50 for Fuji is an A series camera or Canon T3i. I've handled one Fuji A5 (if I remember correctly the model name) it felt exactly like a plastic toy for girls, no sealing, nothing, if it fails you just buy a new one because 2 hours of repair manpower costs more than the camera. I'm surprise when people expect a plastic camera made as cheap as possible to be repaired, designer don't even consider it's repair-able.
01-12-2023, 05:43 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I'm comparing flagship to flagship, not entry level to flagship. The equivalent of a Pentax K-50 for Fuji is an A series camera or Canon T3i. I've handled one Fuji A5 (if I remember correctly the model name) it felt exactly like a plastic toy for girls, no sealing, nothing, if it fails you just buy a new one because 2 hours of repair manpower costs more than the camera. I'm surprise when people expect a plastic camera made as cheap as possible to be repaired, designer don't even consider it's repair-able.
The K-30/50 and the T3i are both in my price range. I owned a Canon XT, a predecessor of the T3i {and probably would have owned the T3 or the T3i if I had stayed with Canon}, and I own a K-30, predecessor of K-50; both XTs did end up in the trash because they weren’t worth repairing. I still use my K-30, because it still works with film-era lenses. So in this case you are comparing entry-level to entry- level camera. Even the entry-level K-30/50 does have sealing / when I first got it I photographed my wife in pouring rain trying to figure out how to put on a light-weight poncho.