Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2022, 02:43 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Making the switch: DSLR (K1) to mirrorless (Fujifilm X-T5)

I decided to get rid of my beloved K1 and make the switch to a Fujifilm X-T5. (I know, traitor!) Iím not getting rid of my film cameras or anything but for digital, I was interested in shifting over to Fuji. The colors, the features (esp the nearly-as-good-as-Canon AF), and the analog style controls in particular made the new X-T5 super attractive.

I just got the camera a few days ago (with the Fuji 16-80mm f4) but thought Iíd share some early impressions. Iíll be taking it on a trip this weekend so should have more to share later.

In no particular order:
  • The body feels nice and I love the ergonomics (more on that in a sec) but I was surprised how much less ďbeefyĒ the body and access panels feel compared to the K1. For example, the doors for accessing the battery compartment, USB-C, etc., aren't nearly as tough and secure. The X-T5 is weather sealed, but just based on the feel, I have more confidence in the Pentax.
  • Iím a huge fan of the locking analog controls on the top. Granted, Iím also a film shooter so this is a more familiar arrangement. But for such a small body the layout and clarity of the controls is fantastic.
  • Button customizability is easy and really great. Makes me think of my Ricoh GRIII (which is saying a lot. Love that thing.)
  • I am pretty bummed they explicitly excluded support for a battery grip. Like, why?
  • Iíve been pretty leery of EVFs and am not totally used to looking at a screen through the viewfinder yet, but I canít deny that the benefits here are enormous. Case in point: the focus checking features. Being able to focus, say, an old MF lens and with the push of a button, automatically zoom into the focus point to check critical focus? Damn!
  • Again, I havenít really put it through its paces but so far the AF seems awesome. Speed, accuracy, continuous tracking (including eyes), thereís just no comparison. Now I havenít used the clairvoyant Sony eye tracking or a Canon R3 (or R5), but this is just miles ahead of my previous AF experience.
  • Along with the zoom, I got an inexpensive PK > Fuji X lens adaptor. Havenít had a chance to really try out any of my Pentax (or Voigtlander) primes yet, but looking forward to using my fav 58mm Nokton on the X-T5.

Anyway, just thought Iíd pass along some initial thoughts. If I come across anything else worth noting for the Fuji-curious Pentax user Iíll add it.

11-30-2022, 03:03 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the X-T2 and X-H1 - both are amazing with film-vintage lenses...

I've been watching/reading reviews on the X-T5 and it'll be my next camera purchase.....
11-30-2022, 08:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alan_smithee_photos Quote
Iím a huge fan of the locking analog controls on the top. Granted, Iím also a film shooter so this is a more familiar arrangement. But for such a small body the layout and clarity of the controls is fantastic.
When I looked at a Fujifilm camera at a local big box store, the camera had a large knob with shutter speeds on it. Is that what you mean by ďanalog controlsĒ?? I also started off with film cameras, but none of my SLRs {I had three of them - two Pentax and one Canon} had such a thing. Each of them either had the equivalence of what we now call ĎAví mode, or had a button which advanced through the possible shutter speeds.
11-30-2022, 11:06 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Passing on all of Fuji's releases this year, here's why (should you care);

11-30-2022, 11:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The body feels nice and I love the ergonomics (more on that in a sec) but I was surprised how much less “beefy” the body and access panels feel compared to the K1. For example, the doors for accessing the battery compartment, USB-C, etc., aren't nearly as tough and secure. The X-T5 is weather sealed, but just based on the feel, I have more confidence in the Pentax.
Advantage Pentax is the build quality (doesn't mean it's fail safe but..) that's up there with the best model across all brands. Fuji bodies are more flimsy than Pentax, I've seen some GFX50S bottom plate held by a couple of tiny screws cracked on tripod, never happened with a Pentax body that costs less than half as much. OTOH, the electronics of the latest Fujis are a couple iterations ahead of Pentax, e.g K3 III gets X-T3 sensor, while Fuji pulls ahead with next gen 40Mp sensor. The question is what we prefer: the better build quality or the latest electronics.
12-01-2022, 01:04 AM   #6
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I have the X-T2 and X-H1 - both are amazing with film-vintage lenses...

I've been watching/reading reviews on the X-T5 and it'll be my next camera purchase.....
I have the KP and K1 and also find both of those great with my vintage lenses (the fastest being a Revuenon 55mm 1.2).
Now ... I have *glaucoma in both eyes and macular degeneration in my (also the worst affected by glaucoma) right eye so I am a left eye shooter but have no problem getting these lenses in focus.
I keep reading on this Pentax forum how great the Fujis (and other mirrorless) are with these vintage manual lenses and I keep thinking I should get one BUT then I think this would start to make my KP redundant because it would be virtually the same size sensor.

Please tell me what is so amazing about Fuji's etc. and film-vintage lenses that makes them better than my Pentax?

*Let this be a lesson to get your eyes checked no matter what your age (I am in my 50s and "young" to have developed this) /end of my public health announcement
12-01-2022, 01:39 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CraigR Quote
I have the KP and K1 and also find both of those great with my vintage lenses (the fastest being a Revuenon 55mm 1.2).
Now ... I have *glaucoma in both eyes and macular degeneration in my (also the worst affected by glaucoma) right eye so I am a left eye shooter but have no problem getting these lenses in focus.
I keep reading on this Pentax forum how great the Fujis (and other mirrorless) are with these vintage manual lenses and I keep thinking I should get one BUT then I think this would start to make my KP redundant because it would be virtually the same size sensor.

Please tell me what is so amazing about Fuji's etc. and film-vintage lenses that makes them better than my Pentax?

*Let this be a lesson to get your eyes checked no matter what your age (I am in my 50s and "young" to have developed this) /end of my public health announcement
I shoot K-1, 645D and sold the KP to fund a XT4. I shoot professionally and my channel is full of fairly unbiased reviews despite being given cameras from Pentax to review etc. You are welcome to waste some time there if you like;

Eddy Summers Photography - YouTube

12-01-2022, 01:44 AM   #8
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I shoot K-1, 645D and sold the KP to fund a XT4. I shoot professionally and my channel is full of fairly unbiased reviews despite being given cameras from Pentax to review etc. You are welcome to waste some time there if you like;

Eddy Summers Photography - YouTube
Hi Eddy.
Yes I know your channel and the paid work you do so I understand your need for faster more accurate AF etc but my question concerns manual lenses and when I can focus them accurately with my KP and K1 is there really any advantage for me buying a mirrorless?
12-01-2022, 02:24 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Eddy.
Yes I know your channel and the paid work you do so I understand your need for faster more accurate AF etc but my question concerns manual lenses and when I can focus them accurately with my KP and K1 is there really any advantage for me buying a mirrorless?
No imo, no.

In fact, I personally feel manual lenses (typically are full frame) work best on a full frame body, so aside from the GFX (which can often adapt successfully older glass) I would not bother with the APS-C line from Fuji for this purpose, that is if indeed you are having no focusing issues with Pentax.

Personally, I did have a few problems shooting manual focus glass on K-1, but then I do often stress the limit and am a hard critic, if I am trying to nail f1.4 with my Takumar 50/1.4 and obtain that critical focus on something a few meters away (and be honest with nailing it), then I had quite a few misses (despite swapping out the focus screen to a Canon Matte S Type which I feel helps with this endeavor). It is true that punch in zoom on mirrorless is very helpful and can assist with the keeper rates, much like Phil Sharp demonstrates often.

But it sounds like you feel you're doing ok with the DSLR's, so I would not really recommend it.
12-01-2022, 02:51 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Personally, I did have a few problems shooting manual focus glass on K-1, but then I do often stress the limit and am a hard critic, if I am trying to nail f1.4 with my Takumar 50/1.4 and obtain that critical focus on something a few meters away (and be honest with nailing it), then I had quite a few misses (despite swapping out the focus screen to a Canon Matte S Type which I feel helps with this endeavor). It is true that punch in zoom on mirrorless is very helpful and can assist with the keeper rates, much like Phil Sharp demonstrates often.
I know this is strictly my personal view;
I have like many "considered" Fuji (among other brands) and the single major reason for me not taking the plunge is the vast amount of badly manually focused photos by Fuji users (read: vintage lenses). Friendly said, I'm just being honest, no ill intentions.

I've red a lot about Fuji's supposed major technical advantages, but just can't see them realized by the Fuji community. Sure, the camera doesn't make the photographer. But advantages should show. Not reduce. My theory is that maybe it's a combo of the lack of IBIS and a big portion of "new" photographers (again, context: vintage lenses). I trust my eyes, and therefore stayed with Pentax. But of course - I might be plain wrong too.

Last edited by Stefan Jr; 12-01-2022 at 03:00 AM.
12-01-2022, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Jr Quote
I know this is strictly my personal view;
I have like many "considered" Fuji (among other brands) and the single major reason for me not taking the plunge is the vast amount of badly manually focused photos by Fuji users (read: vintage lenses). Friendly said, I'm just being honest, no ill intentions.

I've red a lot about Fuji's supposed major technical advantages, but just can't see them realized by the Fuji community. Sure, the camera doesn't make the photographer. But advantages should show. Not reduce. My theory is that maybe it's a combo of the lack of IBIS and a big portion of "new" photographers (again, context: vintage lenses). I trust my eyes, and therefore stayed with Pentax. But of course - I might be plain wrong too.
I guess it depends on the groups or places you hang out, where I frequent I just don't see a lot of Fuji users shooting anything other than XF glass, some don't even know the Zeiss Touit exists or has AF

I have the Kipon 40mm/0.85 and have tested the Takumar 50/1.4 out, and for sure I find the punch in zoom very useful, I often don't feel the need for any more focusing aids than that (ie focus peaking can largely remain off). However, should you shoot with a monochrome profile and use focus peaking that can be actually super useful to showing where focus is.

With Pentax I felt I could use the OVF comfortably if the subject interest was close, like within a meter or so, but if its one of those shots where you want to shoot wide open and have something in focus 5-7m away, then that feels luck with OVF, Live View I found easier and with Fuji it makes it easier still.

Here's a shot of my cat with the tak 50(8e) on the XT4;

Here's a few with the Kipon;

https://www.eddysummers.com.au/blog/the-kipon-ibelux-40mm-f085-review-for-x-mount
12-01-2022, 03:44 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With Pentax I felt I could use the OVF comfortably if the subject interest was close, like within a meter or so, but if its one of those shots where you want to shoot wide open and have something in focus 5-7m away, then that feels luck with OVF, Live View I found easier and with Fuji it makes it easier still.
Yes - I agree with that.
And that is certainly an advantage.

Beautiful cat - beautiful photo.
12-01-2022, 04:10 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Case in point: the focus checking features. Being able to focus, say, an old MF lens and with the push of a button, automatically zoom into the focus point to check critical focus? Damn!
Ceretainly not arguing with anybody chosing what's best for them - that's what it's all about and why competition is so necessary - just to point out that focus checking only works on a tripod (otherwise user movements render it pointless) and I've had no problems with live view focus checking on the K-1.
12-01-2022, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #14
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

i am also a left-eye shooter and prefer a non-rangefinder style body to shoot with...

two advantages that I can think of with Fuji (or any mirrorless, really) are the focus-peaking in the EVF (I rarely use the back-LCD to shoot with) and the mirrorless' mount adaptability - this is a rabbit hole of sorts for me, as I am now using (about) 10 different lens mounts with my Fuji bodies and love the fact that on any day I can range from M42 to Pen-F to Prakticar B mount lenses...

the third thing that I have found with Fuji bodies is the jpeg engine built into them - I am not a RAW shooter - and the film simulations plus the malleability of the jpegs are just amazing...

one note here: I am not attempting/luring anyone to convert from Pentax to anything - I still shoot my K-3 on a regular basis, but Fuji bodies give me more options...
12-01-2022, 06:06 AM   #15
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
i am also a left-eye shooter and prefer a non-rangefinder style body to shoot with...

two advantages that I can think of with Fuji (or any mirrorless, really) are the focus-peaking in the EVF (I rarely use the back-LCD to shoot with) and the mirrorless' mount adaptability - this is a rabbit hole of sorts for me, as I am now using (about) 10 different lens mounts with my Fuji bodies and love the fact that on any day I can range from M42 to Pen-F to Prakticar B mount lenses...

the third thing that I have found with Fuji bodies is the jpeg engine built into them - I am not a RAW shooter - and the film simulations plus the malleability of the jpegs are just amazing...

one note here: I am not attempting/luring anyone to convert from Pentax to anything - I still shoot my K-3 on a regular basis, but Fuji bodies give me more options...
Thanks for that - my other thought was that I could look at a Sony FF MILC (because of the size and weight of my K1) to walk around with but once again it comes back to then making my KP redundant...and I really love that camera.

Obviously this is a case of the "the grass is always greener..." (or should that be GAS?) and I should concentrate on enjoying taking photos with what I already have (which is very new to me having had both cameras for less than a year).

*Actually, the reality is the K1 with a small M prime is not that heavy - I can and have walked around with the camera "dangling" from the same wrist strap I use with the KP. I think once again I am looking for excuses (trying to convince myself I need) to buy more "stuff".*

Last edited by Unregistered User; 12-01-2022 at 09:02 AM. Reason: update