Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2023, 09:36 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
although it vanishes in the shadows.
Ya, I notice that....I guess tech can only make up for physics part of the time. And of course as a photographer that leaves you in a quadary. The excellent detail is boosted by the shadow patterns in direct sun. So that is the angle you want the sun to be at, but when there are solid shadows you lose detail. I wish I'd had my K-1 with me for comparison images. The loss of detail may be due to less favourable light conditions rather than the camera. Side lighting always boosts the appearance of contrast. Looking at the raws, there is a lot of subtle detail in the shadows. This was completely unplanned.

Last edited by normhead; 01-18-2023 at 07:25 AM.
01-18-2023, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

Original Poster
From yesterday with the iPhone, I really have to work on fur detail with the black dogs.

01-18-2023, 07:56 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
From yesterday with the iPhone, I really have to work on fur detail with the black dogs.
One of the knocks on that camera is that it tends to crush shadows. FWIW that's been an issue of sorts since last year's model. Not sure how valid the reason ascribed to it is, but I've seen several comments alluding to Apple using overly aggressive AI processing. In most cases I doubt it really matters, but yeah it does rear its head on your dog's black fur. Still great pics from a smartphone.

If you want to better understand how Apple is achieving a "48MP ProRaw" image there are several articles online about it. In a nutshell, Apple is combining 4 images, one from each Bayer quad, before demosaicing. 12x4=48
It's not the same detail as you get from a 48MP Bayer raw, but still very good.

Last edited by gatorguy; 01-18-2023 at 08:06 AM.
01-18-2023, 08:02 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
One of the knocks on that camera is that it tends to crush shadows. FWIW that's been an issue of sorts since last year's model. Not sure how valid the reason ascribed to it is, but I've seen several comments alluding to Apple using overly aggressive AI processing. In most cases I doubt it really matters, but yeah it does rear its head on your dog's black fur. Still great pics from a smartphone.
The ability to raise the exposure exists, but so far it's been incredibly clunky, and not at all easy to use in sub-freezing temps, because you have to take your gloves off, and that can ruin a whole session once your hands get cold. It's hard to do in the kitchen in the warm. I still think I can do this. The issue here is dynamic range. Apple hasn't figured out the +1 EV when the background is now thing yet.

I have to say, I run into the same problem with my DSLRs, but it's easier to deal with. The above images would have been tossed if taken with my K-1 or K-3. But black dog on snow is a really demanding image to get.

You have to blow out some of the highlights to get fur detail in the blacks... even with a DSLR

That being said, in my original images on page one, it was the K-1 image that gave me trouble with the shadows, they were easy to bring up in the iPhone image.

Last edited by normhead; 01-18-2023 at 08:18 AM.
01-18-2023, 06:16 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A bit new every day.....
A bit more fooling around....
Typical blacked out blacks....at normal exposure.

Like film photography... +2 EV if snow is your background..... this is +2.31 according to the exif....
Lots of fur detail....

Last edited by normhead; 01-19-2023 at 08:44 AM.
01-19-2023, 03:07 PM - 3 Likes   #66
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The answer to the question....."Who wants a cookie."
iPhone 14 wide camera

ISO 125, FL-13mm , ƒ2.2 199s

A cookie (sometimes known as a dog biscuit) is the way to get the attention of 5 dogs at the same time.
01-22-2023, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #67
Pentaxian

Original Poster
From Today's walk.
A doggy kiss in the woods.

01-23-2023, 07:38 PM   #68
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I was in Peterborough once again.... from today's shoot.
02-01-2023, 01:55 PM   #69
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My first prelim effort at an ice crystal image, it doesn't look promising, I can get the actual crystals better, the rough background, I didn't find a way to address that.

K-1 and 50 macro....

There probably is a problem addressing narrow DoF options.
02-01-2023, 08:12 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first prelim effort at an ice crystal image, it doesn't look promising, I can get the actual crystals better, the rough background, I didn't find a way to address that.

K-1 and 50 macro....

There probably is a problem addressing narrow DoF options.
Have you tried the iPhone's bokeh simulation?
02-02-2023, 05:33 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Have you tried the iPhone's bokeh simulation?
I'll have to work on that. I couldn't get it to blur the ice crystals, it want to blur them and keep the background. I understand there might be some kind of manual focus type thing, but, these things come without manuals.

Checking Flickr today, that iPhone ice image has 4 favs on Flickr, making it tied for first place among my ice images. And I don't even like it that much. Oh well, the people have spoken.

Last edited by normhead; 02-02-2023 at 06:13 AM.
02-02-2023, 10:33 AM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'll have to work on that. I couldn't get it to blur the ice crystals, it want to blur them and keep the background. I understand there might be some kind of manual focus type thing, but, these things come without manuals.

Checking Flickr today, that iPhone ice image has 4 favs on Flickr, making it tied for first place among my ice images. And I don't even like it that much. Oh well, the people have spoken.
I don't think it has to do with focus, but more to do with iPhone algorithms deciding what is subject and what is background. Yes, that happens even shooting raw as an iPhone ProRAW is not as pure as a raw from your Pentax. Some Apple AI stuff takes place, and it's an automatic process that you have little control over.
02-02-2023, 10:10 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The ability to raise the exposure exists, but so far it's been incredibly clunky, and not at all easy to use in sub-freezing temps, because you have to take your gloves off, and that can ruin a whole session once your hands get cold.
What about voice control? I think you can set up the iPhone to operate the camera settings via voice.
02-03-2023, 06:22 AM   #74
Pentaxian

Original Poster
What about voice control? I think you can set up the iPhone to operate the camera settings via voice.
I'll have to look into it.
02-03-2023, 06:36 AM   #75
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Now up to 5 favs...making it my most Faved ice image. I didn't even want to put it on Flickr, I didn't feel it was up to my DSLR images. I was tempted to just put it on the forum space...it's a test shot, didn't use a tripod, there are inexplicable soft spots. I'm mystified.

Last edited by normhead; 02-04-2023 at 08:22 AM.